Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by Danny B
I hope she doesn't start shopping at Old Navy, it's hard enough to get service there already.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I really don't think they will be concerned about the possible commute to BC mainland if they do choose to move to Vancouver Island area. They are not budget conscious travelers, they have a lot of options to get to where they need to be.

Victoria has non-stop flight to Toronto on Air Canada and from there can get almost anywhere, plus both Westjet and Air Canada fly Victoria to YVR multiple times per day so one can fly directly into YVR from Victoria and connect onward without ever stepping foot on a ferry, float plane, or needing ground transport.

That's assuming they fly commercial flights and not private.

Rich certainly have more options available.
I expect Victoria, and indeed Canada, is merely a stepping stone to the US of A. LA. New York. I can't see them settling into the quiet life once the novelty wears off. Canada was a very expedient choice to put the Palace and the public: Commonwealth, Trump-free, safe etc. Now that the part-time royal concept has been dashed, their need for quasi-duty location has also been dashed. I'd give them about a year before they're packing up for the States.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...e_iOSApp_Other

If the Duke and Duchess want to control which photos get into the media it looks like they’re heading for a worse situation.
Yes, they were protected from the paps in the UK by the Royals. A friend of my was a pap and he was one of only a handful of them that was allowed to take pictures of Harry, they had certain rules they had to stick to. They’ll have no protection from that in Canada. On the flip side there’s no one telling her she can’t contact them herself now either. 😆
Old Jan 21st 2020, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Yes, they were protected from the paps in the UK by the Royals. A friend of my was a pap and he was one of only a handful of them that was allowed to take pictures of Harry, they had certain rules they had to stick to. They’ll have no protection from that in Canada. On the flip side there’s no one telling her she can’t contact them herself now either. 😆
As I mentioned earlier they actually have more protection here via the Safe Streets Act
Old Jan 21st 2020, 10:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I expect Victoria, and indeed Canada, is merely a stepping stone to the US of A. LA. New York. I can't see them settling into the quiet life once the novelty wears off. Canada was a very expedient choice to put the Palace and the public: Commonwealth, Trump-free, safe etc. Now that the part-time royal concept has been dashed, their need for quasi-duty location has also been dashed. I'd give them about a year before they're packing up for the States.
I don't think they would want to be tax resident in the US.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 10:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...they had certain rules they had to stick to...
So why didn't they?
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...paparazzi-feud
How did the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, change the British media? No formal pact was entered into, but the death of Harry’s mother following a high speed pursuit of her car through Paris by photographers resulted in a public backlash against sections of the press who had chronicled her every move. Eight days after her death in 1997, the Daily Mail pledged to ban paparazzi photographs from its pages, claiming that it was “leading the way” with the move.

The PPC made specific provisions for the young princes, affording them protection while conceding that there could not be a “total blackout” on all stories about them at school. By 1999 it had judged its code to have been so successful that paparazzi who were once very much in evidence in and around Eton had virtually disappeared – “aware that there is no market for their pictures in the British press”.
Did it last?
While the informal understanding between the royals and Fleet Street was renewed in 2000, the pact began to fray after William went to university. There was a change in pace too after the profile of the Duchess of Cambridge – then Kate Middleton – grew. While much has been made recently of the intensely critical attitude taken by Harry and Meghan towards media coverage, back in 2007 Kate was making complaints to the police about the paparazzi’s pursuit of her after a breakup from William.

Last year Harry accepted substantial damages and an apology from a news agency that took aerial photographs of his Cotswolds home, forcing him and Meghan to move out.
The same article goes on to point out that Canada has more of a culture of self censorship in these matters.

Old Jan 21st 2020, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Here we go again, no matter what she does she is getting negative comments.

This isn't directed at you, but social media seems to be fixated on how her child is positioned in the sling. What a world we live in.
Few people could look that cute in the same situation. Its hard to pull off glamour with a baby in a sling and two dogs on leashes!
Old Jan 21st 2020, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
As I mentioned earlier they actually have more protection here via the Safe Streets Act
So is that evidence then she has in fact called them herself?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So why didn't they?
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...paparazzi-feud

Did it last?

The same article goes on to point out that Canada has more of a culture of self censorship in these matters.
This was around 10 years ago he was doing this job. They weren’t allowed to take compromising pictures of Harry, i.e. drunk, misbehaving, etc. If any paps other than those authorized to take pictures tried to, even just innocent ones, the bodyguards would step in.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 12:34 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

This was around 10 years ago he was doing this job. They weren’t allowed to take compromising pictures of Harry, i.e. drunk, misbehaving, etc. If any paps other than those authorized to take pictures tried to, even just innocent ones, the bodyguards would step in.
That's good to know. I suspect they simply followed him around just in case his car happened to smash into a pillar in a french underpass.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Protection from aggressive begging yes. Not clear how it would prevent photographs from a distance in a public place?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

So whose marriage should we dissect next? Perhaps some of the posters here spouting all this vitriol should think about how they would feel having blatant lies and half truths spread about their marriages. Honestly I find it disgusting the things some of the posters here are writing about a family they know nothing about other than what's being written in the gutter press.

All his life Harry has been subjected to speculation about his parentage, his mother was hounded relentlessly by the press (whether she manipulated the coverage or not is speculation) until she died being chased by them. Now his wife is being treated like something to scrape off the bottom of a shoe. And people blame her for his decision to protect his wife and child. It's ddespicable the way some of you on these threads behave.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
So whose marriage should we dissect next? Perhaps some of the posters here spouting all this vitriol should think about how they would feel having blatant lies and half truths spread about their marriages. Honestly I find it disgusting the things some of the posters here are writing about a family they know nothing about other than what's being written in the gutter press.

All his life Harry has been subjected to speculation about his parentage, his mother was hounded relentlessly by the press (whether she manipulated the coverage or not is speculation) until she died being chased by them. Now his wife is being treated like something to scrape off the bottom of a shoe. And people blame her for his decision to protect his wife and child. It's ddespicable the way some of you on these threads behave.
I think there should be some collective soul searching as we’ve all failed them for too long.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Protection from aggressive begging yes. Not clear how it would prevent photographs from a distance in a public place?
This is what has been puzzling me ever since the Safe Street Act was mentioned as protecting them in Canada, and in BC (different acts federally & provincially).

The BC act is against aggressive panhandling, whether that be within a certain distance from ATM machines, shop or bank doorways, or "washing windshields" at an intersection.

There is no mention that I could find of anything other than that.

So I'm not sure how any one could expect to use that Act as a means of prosecuting paparazzi, or even Joe Blow taking a photo with his cell phone.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:13 am

If he doesn’t want to do his job, I’ll do it. It doesn’t look like there’s that much heavy lifting, its bound to pay good plus tons of fit birds want to shag you. I can see why it was such burden to him.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 22nd 2020 at 3:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.