Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Jan 20th 2020, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

I honestly see Toronto as being a better fit for them if they really want to earn their own way.

You have to either

fly by seaplane from Victoria harbour to Vancouver harbour, then drive to Vancouver International Airport;

drive almost 30 km to Victoria International Airport (you can fly to Seattle, Cancun & San Jose de Cabo, sometimes Hawaii) and fly elsewhere in Canada;

or drive almost 31 km to Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal to catch the ferry to Tsawwassen (takes ca 90 minutes), then drive about 37 km to downtown Vancouver or 30 km to Vancouver International Airport.

It's a pain getting from the Island to anywhere quickly!
Old Jan 20th 2020, 12:10 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I honestly see Toronto as being a better fit for them if they really want to earn their own way.
Of course, since we have no idea what they're going to do, Toronto may not be suitable at all.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 12:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Of course, since we have no idea what they're going to do, Toronto may not be suitable at all.
If she, or they, are going to work in films then access to LA would be useful. In any case, she, or they, would likely have domestic reasons to go there from time-to-time. They could keep a plane at the airport in Victoria and, if there was real urgency in getting to it, take a helicopter. Commuting is a different problem for the affluent.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 1:04 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Harry's speech today, given at a charity dinner:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6434252/p...es-speaks-out/
Old Jan 20th 2020, 1:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If she, or they, are going to work in films then access to LA would be useful. In any case, she, or they, would likely have domestic reasons to go there from time-to-time. They could keep a plane at the airport in Victoria and, if there was real urgency in getting to it, take a helicopter. Commuting is a different problem for the affluent.
I really don't think they will be concerned about the possible commute to BC mainland if they do choose to move to Vancouver Island area. They are not budget conscious travelers, they have a lot of options to get to where they need to be.

Victoria has non-stop flight to Toronto on Air Canada and from there can get almost anywhere, plus both Westjet and Air Canada fly Victoria to YVR multiple times per day so one can fly directly into YVR from Victoria and connect onward without ever stepping foot on a ferry, float plane, or needing ground transport.

That's assuming they fly commercial flights and not private.

Rich certainly have more options available.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 2:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I really don't think they will be concerned about the possible commute to BC mainland if they do choose to move to Vancouver Island area. They are not budget conscious travelers, they have a lot of options to get to where they need to be.

Victoria has non-stop flight to Toronto on Air Canada and from there can get almost anywhere, plus both Westjet and Air Canada fly Victoria to YVR multiple times per day so one can fly directly into YVR from Victoria and connect onward without ever stepping foot on a ferry, float plane, or needing ground transport.

That's assuming they fly commercial flights and not private.

Rich certainly have more options available.
And occasional poster here, fraser, has a yacht in Victoria and could sail them down the coast. All manner of possibilities.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
thus once again proving the saying "don't do as we do, do as we say" as they ignore their carbon footprint

of course, I'd forgotten that they can afford to buy carbon credits and that makes flying around the world on private jets OK

Old Jan 20th 2020, 5:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Cardi B and Ed Sheeran seem to be big fans of Anthea Turner. Who knew?
Old Jan 20th 2020, 6:50 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

thus once again proving the saying "don't do as we do, do as we say" as they ignore their carbon footprint
of course, I'd forgotten that they can afford to buy carbon credits and that makes flying around the world on private jets OK
Every day I see mothers drop their kids off at school driving 5 litre trucks, it gets hot so we crank up the AC, it gets cold so we crank up the gas fired furnace. We know we're hypocrites but we don't like to think about it, instead we console ourselves by joining the club and targeting those who can't talk back.
Those expensive holiday cruises, were they really needed? That flight to the UK to make you feel better, did you think about all that kerosine burnt, and that road trip in that RV doing 10mpg, did we really enjoy it?
Private jets? thousands use them. The military, well they prance around in gas guzzling jets, tanks and spend money like it's going out of fashion and if it stands then blow it up, but that's ok.
What is this fixation with a rich couple who behave like all their rich family... just like millions of other rich families.
This couple are like animals in a zoo that we like to point at, poke and make fun of, I've never liked zoos so perhaps that's why I can sympathise.

Old Jan 20th 2020, 9:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what Harry's username will be when he finally joins BE - which he will, eventually!
Old Jan 20th 2020, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Harry's speech last night makes it clear:

1. their marrage has no problems
2. this was all his idea, he always says "i" decided etc.
3. He wanted to do royal work without getting paid anything at all and to stay in England.

I obviously had it all wrong.
I apologize.
I feel badly.

You can find the speech on BBC news. Ididn't hear all of it but realized I was wrong on most things.

Last edited by Nand; Jan 20th 2020 at 11:18 am.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

Well, you didn't think they could take public transit so it'll have to be the yacht.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Every day I see mothers drop their kids off at school driving 5 litre trucks, it gets hot so we crank up the AC, it gets cold so we crank up the gas fired furnace. We know we're hypocrites but we don't like to think about it, instead we console ourselves by joining the club and targeting those who can't talk back.
Those expensive holiday cruises, were they really needed? That flight to the UK to make you feel better, did you think about all that kerosine burnt, and that road trip in that RV doing 10mpg, did we really enjoy it?
Private jets? thousands use them. The military, well they prance around in gas guzzling jets, tanks and spend money like it's going out of fashion and if it stands then blow it up, but that's ok.
What is this fixation with a rich couple who behave like all their rich family... just like millions of other rich families.
This couple are like animals in a zoo that we like to point at, poke and make fun of, I've never liked zoos so perhaps that's why I can sympathise.
The difference is none of those people are lecturing everyone else about the environment. They are hypocrites, that’s the problem, not that they are using these things in the first place. I couldn’t give a rats bum if they flew on 10 private jets a day, just don’t then tell the peasants who go on maybe one holiday a year if they are lucky to cut down on their environmental impact.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I wonder what Harry's username will be when he finally joins BE - which he will, eventually!
ExpatRoyal
Old Jan 20th 2020, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Fully discharged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.