Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:58 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Maybe the Queen has put in a stipulation that they can use it after x number of years because she’s not sure the marriage will last 😆
or she's said they can use it if they return to front line duties?
Old Jan 19th 2020, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
or she's said they can use it if they return to front line duties?
I can’t see Meghan doing that though unless they are hard up for cash and attention.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 2:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t see Meghan doing that though unless they are hard up for cash and attention.
You seem to think she craves attention, and that may be the case, but how do you reconcile that with a willingness to move to the back of beyond?
Old Jan 19th 2020, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You seem to think she craves attention, and that may be the case, but how do you reconcile that with a willingness to move to the back of beyond?
I don’t think she has any intention of falling off the radar. If they genuinely do want a privacy and live a low key normal life then good luck to them and I’m obviously wrong about her. Time will tell.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 3:45 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that I'm drifting over to side with the Sussex's on this one.
None of us (I suspect) know the couple personally so what we know we pick up from the news media and from how we see them portrayed on the TV or elsewhere. In other words what we say is strongly influenced by what we are told by those with axes to grind, careers to inflate and social media to titillate.
This recurring description of Meghan as a gold-digger may or may not be true but the tone of this thread has her definitely being one. It's almost like a religion, a need to believe something without having any first hand evidence but a deluge of information that cultivates a view simply because that's what we are led to believe.
I've said before that I'm no fan of anything royal, but if the media has been behaving in the same way as this thread then I can well understand why they simply want nothing to do with it.
Their problem is that they're famous and nobody's going to leave them alone if that's what they want, ever, but as HRH royals they're in a straight jacket of a celebrity cult of a business. I wouldn't like it, I doubt many would put up with it. There are those that'll castigate them for wanting to get out and many followers'll take it as a personal insult and I'm talking about ordinary UK people here and that'll feed the media frenzy.
There are many issues that they're going to have to sort out in the near future that'll attract attention.
Their status in Canada is one. Others buy their way in without publicity but these two won't be allowed to. Any bending of the rules will bring out the media ferrets immediately.
Their security's another. The media will see to it that it's necessary and they'll do themselves no harm at all if they pay for it themselves, after all it must be tax deductible, but will they? We don't know but it's attracting comment already, even I fell in the trap.
Their income's another. As we all know, working as a visitor, well das ist verboten, so some mechanism will have to be devised to allow it and again the media will be poking into every hole that it can find simply to find a story that'll support the evil Sussex tale.
Where they want to live has already attracted attention, but if all these tales are true then so what? If they can afford it what's the issue?
I get the impression that no matter what they do attracts criticism, it's an unhealthy attitude to take but it sells newspapers, improves careers, stirs the masses and gives them someone to gossip about.
I'm glad I'm not where they are.

Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

On the security issue. I don't think they need it, there seems no hostility toward them.
There isn't really any reason I can think of that they are in danger.
They no longer are titledand they seem to be interested in doing charity and fitting in to the Pacific west life style of Vancouver and the Island. They bring money with them.
I guess they will be popular.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
On the security issue. I don't think they need it, there seems no hostility toward them.
There isn't really any reason I can think of that they are in danger.
Oh, I dunno. There's an awful lot of rattles being thrown out of prams. They could easily trip over one.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Oh, I dunno. There's an awful lot of rattles being thrown out of prams. They could easily trip over one.
Lol!

No, nothing serious enough to do bodily harm. Just words and a few broken plastic bits.

The press may become relentless. Especially if the California journalists get their passes and begin to haunt Harry, Megan and archi Harrison every day, every night and every time they open a door or window. There will be thousands of camera clicks shot through the air.

That will be the only shootings aimed toward them I think.
Its not like they are former presidents in the USA or anything.

I still feel there is something we aren't getting to know about here.
Why they moved when they did, how they did this.
Some other reason for it.

The snooping of journalists will work that out in time no doubt.

Old Jan 19th 2020, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree with the security, not really sure they would be more of a target than any other run of the mill celebrity, especially if they are living in Canada. Obviously they need some but not to the extent that Queen or someone has. More like Beckham level.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree with the security, not really sure they would be more of a target than any other run of the mill celebrity, especially if they are living in Canada. Obviously they need some but not to the extent that Queen or someone has. More like Beckham level.
I'm not familiar with it. Enlighten me, what is the Beckham level of security?
Old Jan 19th 2020, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
I'm not familiar with it. Enlighten me, what is the Beckham level of security?
Well, it’s some security to make themselves feel safe going about their day to day lives. It’s not the same level as the heads of state would have, with specialized full time teams of people constantly analyzing information looking for any possible threats. I don’t think it would be necessary for them as they wouldn’t be a political target, just a target for being rich and famous like any other celebrity.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't how we missed this gem earlier in the thread:

'It was reported at the time that Kensington Palace was particularly unhappy with a comment piece by Rachel Johnson in the Mail on Sunday that said the match meant “the Windsors will thicken their watery, thin blue blood and Spencer pale skin and ginger hair with some rich and exotic DNA”.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...arkle-coverage
Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto and Vancouver back of the beyond ? She will want attention to sell her branded products, reality shows or whatever ever other silly "normal life" money she chases. Then she will continue to complain about the Royal family and the Uk for years, then break up with Harry at some point, more drama, publicity, and chance for her to complain about how tough her life is Don't need to read or believe the tabloids, her own words and actions show it all. Good riddance ! .

Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

“I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family. It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.”

Is not a quote that suggests a stamped foot but a negotiated settlement with the option to return. Maybe everyone wins.
What else would you expect the Queen to say ? The quickness of how this has been somewhat resolved does imply the Queen ( let alone maybe her husband) were kind of sick and tired of their complaining but of course want the best for their grandchildren.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 6:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by morpeth
Toronto and Vancouver back of the beyond ?
Well, not once they move, no, after they move people will have heard of wherever they go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.