Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Jan 15th 2020, 4:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by caretaker
I have no quarrel with the Royals other than a tut tut here and there, but I read that the corgi's aren't house trained, and when they poop the housekeeping staff has to clean it up. I love you, your Majesty, but you should train your dogs.
If I were British I'd have a huge quarrel with them, but as a mere colonial I usually just forget they even exist
Old Jan 15th 2020, 5:35 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
I hate people using it this way and looking for it where it doesn’t exist. Some people suffer true racism hatred and to apply it so loosely to these minor situations cheapens the severity of the word.
Absolutely, and it means people then don't take the genuine cases seriously.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Absolutely, and it means people then don't take the genuine cases seriously.
Exactly, whenever people use it now I feel most people’s reaction is an eye roll and a “here we go the racism card again” which is wrong and has come from an over use of it when it doesn’t apply.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 5:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

The headline is a bit weird but it’s not really racist to talk about where she grew up or where her mum lives. If she had nothing to do with area and they were purely linking it to her because of her ethnicity, THAT would be racist.

The other examples given are someone complimenting her beautiful exotic DNA and princess Michael of Kent wearing a broach that someone somewhere has decided could be considered inappropriate for some reason that’s not explained, and seemingly unbeknownst to her. None of this is racism.

I hate people using it this way and looking for it where it doesn’t exist. Some people suffer true racism hatred and to apply it so loosely to these minor situations cheapens the severity of the word.
Really?
If you can't see that at the root of a lot of the criticism of Meghan lies the systemic and institutionalised racism of the British tabloid press, then one would be tempted to assume you're being deliberately obtuse at best, and at worst - well, let's not go there, eh?

As for whatsherface Kent and her brooch. Do not for a moment imagine that anything "unbeknownst" was going on there. The symbolic connotations of jewellery are very well known - especially among the English upper classes - as are Prince and Princess Michael's racist views. She is a fairly odious individual for any of a number of reasons, but her racist faux pas are sufficiently well documented that there can be little doubt she knew exactly how the wearing of a Blackamoor brooch would be interepreted.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 6:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Really?
If you can't see that at the root of a lot of the criticism of Meghan lies the systemic and institutionalised racism of the British tabloid press, then one would be tempted to assume you're being deliberately obtuse at best, and at worst - well, let's not go there, eh?
It doesn't matter if the readership of the tabloid press is unaware of the racism blaring from the headlines;, the authors, editors, publishers and victims are aware of it. After seeing one example there's no excuse for reading the Mail/Express/Sun/etc a second time.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Really?

As for whatsherface Kent and her brooch. Do not for a moment imagine that anything "unbeknownst" was going on there. The symbolic connotations of jewellery are very well known - especially among the English upper classes - as are Prince and Princess Michael's racist views. She is a fairly odious individual for any of a number of reasons, but her racist faux pas are sufficiently well documented that there can be little doubt she knew exactly how the wearing of a Blackamoor brooch would be interepreted.
Excuse me? So just because I don’t believe that a handful of questionable examples is evidence that everyone is racist you are going to resort to name calling.

As for the brooch:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.haar...rong-1.5630137

Maybe I’m not the one who needs educating.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 9:06 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me? So just because I don’t believe that a handful of questionable examples is evidence that everyone is racist you are going to resort to name calling.

As for the brooch:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.haar...rong-1.5630137

Maybe I’m not the one who needs educating.
My goodness, but that's a weaselly article. I think one sentence in the opening section pretty much sums up the "apologia" the author spins for the brooch:
It is an object with a long history and multiple aspects to it that aren’t necessarily racist.
"Not necessarily racist" is fine, and would, I imagine, be excusable for anybody other than Princess Michael. But to suggest that she was somehow too naive to understand the less desirable implications of her choice of jewellery is, frankly, insupportable.

I'm not familiar with Haaretz as a news source, except to know that it's an Israeli daily paper. This seems an oddly in-depth article for such a publication on a story that can be of very little relevance to its core readership. I'm clearly not clever enough to know what their agenda is in commissioning and publishing it.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 10:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I have no quarrel with the Royals other than a tut tut here and there, but I read that the corgi's aren't house trained, and when they poop the housekeeping staff has to clean it up. I love you, your Majesty, but you should train your dogs.
They must make a good job of it. I never saw any stains
Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Recent poll that was conducted.

3% support Canada paying whatever costs are necessary.
19% support paying some of the costs.
73% Don't want Canada covering any of the costs.
5% not sure/can't say.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6414444/p...s-canada-poll/
Old Jan 16th 2020, 1:55 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Write to your MP, I did. No doubt he'll be brown nosing with the rest, but you never know.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Write to your MP, I did. No doubt he'll be brown nosing with the rest, but you never know.

Free security. Pic from satire column in Austrian Kurier newspaper
Old Jan 16th 2020, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Recent poll that was conducted.

3% support Canada paying whatever costs are necessary.
19% support paying some of the costs.
5% not sure/can't say.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6414444/p...s-canada-poll/
Put me down for the 73% option.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 10:27 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It doesn't matter if the readership of the tabloid press is unaware of the racism blaring from the headlines;, the authors, editors, publishers and victims are aware of it. After seeing one example there's no excuse for reading the Mail/Express/Sun/etc a second time.
What are these blaring headlines? I'm not a tabloid reader so the only one I am aware of was the intital much reported "Straight Outta Compton" one. In any case, I don't think race enters the equation of Megan dislike, I think it's more a mixture of "evil woman myth" and the fact that she's American. Saw an interview of a senior Sun journo absolutely lamenting what Megan had "done" to noble Harry, and found his protestations pathetic beyond measure. Royalist Britain appears to have lost some perspective the value and relevance of monarchy.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 11:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What are these blaring headlines?
If the Compton one is not enough, kindly refer to the many links provided on this thread.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shard
What are these blaring headlines? I'm not a tabloid reader so the only one I am aware of was the intital much reported "Straight Outta Compton" one. In any case, I don't think race enters the equation of Megan dislike, I think it's more a mixture of "evil woman myth" and the fact that she's American. Saw an interview of a senior Sun journo absolutely lamenting what Megan had "done" to noble Harry, and found his protestations pathetic beyond measure. Royalist Britain appears to have lost some perspective the value and relevance of monarchy.
I was uneasy of her from the start because she is an actress, and not a I’m an actress for the love of acting type, more like a I’ll do any job going because I want to be famous type. I thought I’d give her a chance but the way she has behaved since has only reaffirmed my initial gut feeling. She seems to have a habit of using people until she’s got what she wanted then drops them when they are no longer useful.

I honestly don’t think she would’ve given Harry a second look if he wasn’t a prince.

I don’t really care what they do but they are really taking the p out of everyone by expecting to be able to keep the perks of being a Royal without doing the job. They shouldn’t be allowed to profiteer off the titles, use taxpayer money, or have the freedom to plonk themselves in any country they feel is worthy of them. They need to make their own way and not ride off of the Queen’s coattails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.