Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Press Releases in Canada - How do they work?

Press Releases in Canada - How do they work?

Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:45 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Press Releases in Canada - How do they work?

Could someone with more intelligence than me () point me in the right direction of details on how to issue a press release in Canada - just to local press rather than national.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Press Releases in Canada - How do they work?

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Could someone with more intelligence than me () point me in the right direction of details on how to issue a press release in Canada - just to local press rather than national.

Thanks in advance!
Depends what it is, if it is of national importance or local interest. They can go to all the media and often they will decide if it is important to them and if they will run with it.

E-mailed to the editor or for larger organisations, the section editor.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:53 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so just get it all typed up etc and e-mail it over - nothing more than that?
Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

if it is for something of local interest ...... a local radio show (eg morning or lunchtime show on CBC) or local station is often a very good way to get information out. That's what we have used in the past

Call or email the programme or the station editor.

In BC, the weekend morning programme, north x northwest, on CBC runs from 6 am to 9am and the host is very good at passing on information on local events across the province, such as art shows, garden events, fund raising runs, etc

Is there a similar programme where you are?
Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

we found that short and sweet, ie succinct, is better than long

and you need a good "tag" as your header to catch attention.

Provide a contact phone number and email address
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:01 pm

It is for our business - so I guess it would be something more for the print/online print rather than radio - I do agree re the short and sweet though! Thank you!
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It is for our business - so I guess it would be something more for the print/online print rather than radio - I do agree re the short and sweet though! Thank you!
I'm not sure that will make much of an impact or be of any public importance or benefit for them to bother. Maybe you should think about simply paying for an ad?
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If it is of general interest they may run with it. If it looks like a shot at free advertising they probably won't. SOmetimes if it is local, try and get the name of a local reporter, fax or e-mail the release to them and follow up with a phone call. Sometimes we'll invite a reporter over to check something out for themselves.

If it is a new product or service, unless it is earth shattering it might not work, if it is an award or an achievement there may be more interest.

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 1st 2015 at 7:22 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm not sure that will make much of an impact or be of any public importance or benefit for them to bother. Maybe you should think about simply paying for an ad?
You are right actually - now I look back at the articles I viewed as being press releases - I think they are actually paid for editorials!

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2015, 9:01 pm

You are right actually - now I look back at the articles I viewed as being press releases - I think they are actually paid for editorials!

Thanks
Which is a disguised advertisement. Folks won't get suckered into them for long. I ignore paid for editorials completely. Readers are not the suckers some media seem to think they are.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 9:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The correct terminology is advertorial.

You shouldn't be suckered as they are meant to make it clear.

It's simply trying to take a brand or company and tell a story associated with them that will resonate more with the reader.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Lunathecat is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the story? I am a pr consultant. Agreed there has to be a news angle or it will be ignored. Sometimes you have to be creative if there is not an obvious angle, which is why lots of businesses do consumer surveys to create interest. For example, a dating agency might ask its customers "what are the 5 biggest turn offs on a first date?" and use their findings to create a press release. That way they can hopefully get their business name out there because reporters like these types of human interest stories - no guarantee though. They may run the story but omit the name of the company.

If you are looking at regional press, there needs to be a local story.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!

I am in PR/Communications so do this regularly. You either target journalists directly (ie. email them) or you write it up and post it on Canada Newswire.

What is it that you actually want to announce and/or what media outlets are you targeting?
Old Jun 4th 2015, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

E-mailed to the editor or for larger organisations, the section editor.

The norm is to email the journalist directly, not the editor.

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm not sure that will make much of an impact or be of any public importance or benefit for them to bother.

It happens all the time. You would be shocked how much of what you see in the media actually originated from a PR firm announcing something on behalf of a client, and often for products or services. They are just creative about how they do it (see the other comment above regarding surveys as it is spot on).

Originally Posted by Aviator
Which is a disguised advertisement. Folks won't get suckered into them for long. I ignore paid for editorials completely. Readers are not the suckers some media seem to think they are.

See above.

Folks won't get suckered into them for long? It has been happening for decades and isn't slowing down at all.

Last edited by colchar; Jun 4th 2015 at 4:05 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 4:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
I am in PR/Communications so do this regularly.
For the City of Mississauga?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.