Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Presents for Teachers....what's the norm?

Presents for Teachers....what's the norm?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:43 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Presents for Teachers....what's the norm?

Is it usual to buy a gift card for your children's teacher? If so - how much is enough?

Thanks
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Presents for Teachers....what's the norm?

I find people are either vehemently against the idea or more than happy to pass on a little something. There's not much middle ground ! I do get a small pressie - always have - teachers do a job I could never have the patience for and deserve a quick acknowledgement from me occasionally!

Sure we have lots of teachers on this site - what do you guys like receiving?

I was working at Starbucks last Xmas, and the little tea or coffee or chocolate gift sets were popular for teachers, but the $10 or $15 gift cards were the biggest seller. Ditto for Timmies or Second Cup I guess.

I suppose there is a limit to how much coffee, or chocolate, smelly candles or flowers/plants a teacher wants to take home on the last day of school (no hang on - there is NO limit on the chocolate). If I was a teacher I'd 'need' a bottle of wine (!) but I'm not sure how alcohol would be received? Whatever you feel Amy - perhaps the time taken by your child to actually make a card would be just as special?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Previously I have been asked by the room reps to 'pool' the money......I quite like this option as you can give what you can afford, and the teacher doesn't end up with 20 mugs!!!!

Failing this I just get a $10 Timmies voucher

Linda
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:57 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
perhaps the time taken by your child to actually make a card would be just as special?
I doubt it, somehow.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I doubt it, somehow.
Depends on the age of the child. I suspect our kids grade one teacher would rather like that rather than some cheap tat bought in a store.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Depends on the age of the child. I suspect our kids grade one teacher would rather like that rather than some cheap tat bought in a store.
If I were a grade one teacher, I'd go for the wine option every time.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I bet you've been going for the wine option since you were a grade one student, though.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I bet you've been going for the wine option since you were a grade one student, though.
Your point being?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:41 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

As the husband of a teacher I'd observe that wine is always a welcome option. Particularly when your wife is pregnant so has to pass it onto me to drink!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

fedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nice

In the three schools that my children have attended the teachers opt for the gift of reading at Christmas. Knowing they would be inundated with pressies galore they organise that the willing parents donate money towards the school library to buy more books. In the front of the book there is a slip saying "this book was kindly donated by the family of bla bla..." so everyone wins. Usually about $10 per child attending.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:18 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you here I always go for the wine option.

Every teacher can't possibly pull the wool over my eyes, but they always look so appreciative.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

When did this teacher present giving thing start? It didn't happen why I was at school, a long, long time ago.

Why? Why give the present, is it a bribe?

Who else do you give gifts too? hairdresser? milkman? postman? binman? doctor? accountant? and why?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

I find in Canada people give presents to the service people they find helpful and see a lot. I know of bank tellers who get gifts from loyal customers, and the milkman (when he existed) always got generous gifts from the neighborhood (and when his son was dying of cancer everyone went to the hospital to visit and helped him with monetary donations). The postwoman always gets gifts, usually money.

Teachers get gifts to show an appreciation for all their hard work. Teachers are only paid to be at school from say 9-3, but often they stay late and help children, call parents about specific problems, organize field trips for the kids, have birthday parties for the little kids, get class pets to make the students learn about responsibility, and because little furry rabbits are so cute! Teachers do a lot of extras for your kids, and it's nice to show them appreciation by getting them a gift.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bimchick
I find in Canada people give presents to the service people they find helpful and see a lot. I know of bank tellers who get gifts from loyal customers, and the milkman (when he existed) always got generous gifts from the neighborhood (and when his son was dying of cancer everyone went to the hospital to visit and helped him with monetary donations). The postwoman always gets gifts, usually money.

Teachers get gifts to show an appreciation for all their hard work. Teachers are only paid to be at school from say 9-3, but often they stay late and help children, call parents about specific problems, organize field trips for the kids, have birthday parties for the little kids, get class pets to make the students learn about responsibility, and because little furry rabbits are so cute! Teachers do a lot of extras for your kids, and it's nice to show them appreciation by getting them a gift.
But they also get loooong holidays.

Pretty much every job/profession/trade works hard so if you tip one you should tip everyone that has done some work that affected your life, not just the people you see.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, but the long holidays are compensated by low salaries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.