Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prescription Irritations

Prescription Irritations

Old Mar 21st 2016, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prescription Irritations

One irritating situation that has arisen from the move is filling prescriptions. Well one type in general for my wife.

Walk in clinc told her to go see her GP or psychiatrist.

Well gee why didnt we think of that...She had neither at the moment due to the move.

For having universal healthcare it sure is difficult to access sometimes.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription Irritations

I expect stinky can send you some. When he's not too busy watching horror movies.

This might be one of those situations where you have to go to ER and follow some work around rigmarole.

Before having our family doc we had to do a 'pillar to post' thing involving ER, then to a doctor in another part of the city they had "an arrangement" with who made a referral to a Paediatrician and then back to ER who could then do a (renewal) prescription for my stepson because a paediatrician was now involved.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea the ER will be the last resort if necessary.

Too many druggies seeking drugs to abuse ruins it for legitimate patients. Not the patients fault people figure out ways to get high off these meds.

She left a msg with the GP but in Squamish to see if he can fax arx in. He generally wont as he wants one to come to the office for refills but he knows what she is on and she has been on them for a long time so not as if she is trying to get refills for something new or something thst is short term.

But walk in clinics are not ideal places to get treated for long term chronic conditions.

We are on a list at a GP here in town, but he takes people based on need and we have been advised the wait could be long but they will eventually call.

The system to set up a GP and psychiatrist is way slower then the length a prescription lasts so not sure what they expect people to do.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I expect stinky can send you some. When he's not too busy watching horror movies.

This might be one of those situations where you have to go to ER and follow some work around rigmarole.

Before having our family doc we had to do a 'pillar to post' thing involving ER, then to a doctor in another part of the city they had "an arrangement" with who made a referral to a Paediatrician and then back to ER who could then do a (renewal) prescription for my stepson because a paediatrician was now involved.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 21st 2016 at 9:22 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:44 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on..... Just coming to the end of Revenge of the Killer Beavers..

It seems a bit harsh that a WIC cant supply her JS- they have access to pharmanet (A means for us and pharmacies to see what the patients have been prescribes from any doc in the past 2 years ) as a College requirement or are they too lazy to spend time checking??
At a push the GP in Squamish should oblige short term given that you have moved- in part it may be what she is on- certain meds need monitoring and if she is way away from them then this would be tricky to say the least

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 21st 2016 at 9:48 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

The doctor she saw wasnt lets say all that pleasent.

The GP in Squam did fax 3 month prescription so its been dealt with, but total pain....lol

WIC are always hit and miss with mental health meds, its dependent on the doctor but if she has issues in 3 months we know to avoid that doctor....

All the WIC have changed since I lived here last so no idea which ones will do it and which wont as it all depends on the doc on duty.

We will figure it out but she was getting panicky as she was out and in Squam WIC was never an issue.

I have to fill mine next month but I am driving to Squm to see the GP. Easier plus Charlee needs to see her doc...

That medication look up system caught me off guard once when an ER doc just started to ramble off what I was on. I was like how did she know this when I didnt tell her.... Then she explained it.

I was there for IV antibiotic treatment and guess she was just making sure there were not issue with what I was on.

Up til that point, I had no idea of that system. Makes sense though, should help keep people from doctor shopping for meds I would imagine.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Hang on..... Just coming to the end of Revenge of the Killer Beavers..

It seems a bit harsh that a WIC cant supply her JS- they have access to pharmanet (A means for us and pharmacies to see what the patients have been prescribes from any doc in the past 2 years ) as a College requirement or are they too lazy to spend time checking??
At a push the GP in Squamish should oblige short term given that you have moved- in part it may be what she is on- certain meds need monitoring and if she is way away from them then this would be tricky to say the least

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 21st 2016 at 10:12 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:07 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

WIC are always hit and miss with mental health meds, its dependent on the doctor but if she has issues in 3 months we know to avoid
Not only mental health meds....I just went to a WIC, came out with 2 prescriptions...the one I went for....and 6 months supply of something for high blood pressure! I've never had high blood pressure in my life

Best of luck Jsmth...never easy moving home
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Not only mental health meds....I just went to a WIC, came out with 2 prescriptions...the one I went for....and 6 months supply of something for high blood pressure! I've never had high blood pressure in my life
Perhaps you had a case of white coat syndrome in the office.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Jsmth...never easy moving home
I imagine, at some point, almost everyone can say they've never had high BP in their life. The body is in constant change.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 3:22 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you had a case of white coat syndrome in the office.
I think that was the confusing bit...They didn't take my BP,they just 'renewed' my prescription...but I'd never had one in the first place....it's rather worrying when you consider how many people just take the tablets they are given.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 3:25 pm
Oscar nominated

I think that was the confusing bit...They didn't take my BP,they just 'renewed' my prescription...but I'd never had one in the first place....it's rather worrying when you consider how many people just take the tablets they are given.

Perhaps doc stinky has a theory.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:03 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps doc stinky has a theory.
That sounds odd and just a mistake IMO Hopefully you didn't fill the Px.

Doctors making mistakes ....???? impossible!!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 22nd 2016 at 5:05 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
That sounds odd and just a mistake IMO Hopefully you didn't fill the Px.

Doctors making mistakes ....???? impossible!!

I'm not keen on giving too much online medical advice though
That's interesting. I just 'quoted' but it looks like the part I was mainly interested in (the bolded bit) not only didn't come out but the rest is different. Almost as if it picked up the pre-edited version.

The sort of theory you might have that I had in mind, though, was maybe something like the BP meds that they prescribed for Millie so often went hand in hand with the one she actually wanted that they gave it automatically. In their sleep as it were.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 10:18 pm
I need a walk

That's interesting. I just 'quoted' but it looks like the part I was mainly interested in (the bolded bit) not only didn't come out but the rest is different. Almost as if it picked up the pre-edited version.

The sort of theory you might have that I had in mind, though, was maybe something like the BP meds that they prescribed for Millie so often went hand in hand with the one she actually wanted that they gave it automatically. In their sleep as it were.
What BP med goes with Opium and Absinthe I wonder?

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 22nd 2016 at 10:28 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:29 am
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

ibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond repute

testing this stuff!
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:30 am
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

ibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond reputeibobi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IBobi
testing this stuff!
test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.