Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prescription Help - CoCodamol

Wikiposts

Prescription Help - CoCodamol

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prescription Help - CoCodamol

Hi there

I'm on a number of drugs to aleviate major back pain, sciatica and other assorted injuries.

Now my GP back in the UK was good enough to provide me with a huge amount of them to keep me going till I got onto the BC medical plan etc...

What I wondered is if anyone knows how much the scrips for Codiene are, and if they give only a small amount at a time or as I'm on them full time , would they give me a few months at a time? I'm on 30mg of codiene / 500 mg paracetamol tablets

My normal script would be for 100 or 200 tabs at a time, with the scipt giving me up to 8 tablets a day. I tend to have 4 a day, but don't want to tell them that in case they reduce what I get at once.

I know here you have to pay for the value of the script, and not the NHS way of a flat fee? But if you can help me before going to get this, at least I'll have some idea in advance....!

Thanks for your help guys (as always!)

Bx

Last edited by bandit; Dec 2nd 2008 at 1:09 pm. Reason: to put in tab mg's.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:56 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription Help - CoCodamol

Originally Posted by bandit
I'm on 30mg of codiene / 500 mg paracetamol tablets
Tylenol # Three contains acetaminophen 300 mg and caffeine 15 mg, in combination with codeine phosphate 30 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cellulose, cornstarch and magnesium stearate. Gluten-, lactose-, sodium metabisulfite- and tartrazine-free.

Would that do? It's the most common paracetamol/codeine drug in use here ....
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

You might be able to just buy them over the counter without a prescription.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

NikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant futureNikkiB has a brilliant future

http://www.londondrugs.com/

Follow the link through Health/Wellness then Over Counter Meds

If you can't buy it there you probably can't buy it.

The drugs here are generally stronger than the over counter stuff at home so chances are you won't need a prescription.

I find Tylenol works the best and they do an arthritis version which is 650 mg.

I actually found it very useful for working out generally what I could buy over here. London Drugs sells everything from toiletries to computers.

Other common pharmacys are Shopers Drug Mart and PharmaSave.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Tylenol # Three contains acetaminophen 300 mg and caffeine 15 mg, in combination with codeine phosphate 30 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cellulose, cornstarch and magnesium stearate. Gluten-, lactose-, sodium metabisulfite- and tartrazine-free.

Would that do? It's the most common paracetamol/codeine drug in use here ....
That sounds about right, but shame there is caffeine in it as I don't take the stuff, plus I take the codeine goign to bed, and that wouldn't work?

Will go to London Drugs this week and speak to a pharmasist. Last one I spoke to at a Pharmasave said the highest codeine dose they did was 8mg. clearly that won't help me.

Thanks guys - as always, v helpful!

Bx
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Will go to London Drugs this week and speak to a pharmacist. Last one I spoke to at a Pharmasave said the highest codeine dose they did was 8mg. clearly that won't help me.
That is correct the highest dose of codeine you're going to get without a prescription is Tylenol 1's which contain 8mg. of codeine.

From wikipedia "Tylenol 1 (available in Canada without a prescription) contains 325mg acetaminophen, 15mg caffeine and 8mg codeine"
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That is correct the highest dose of codeine you're going to get without a prescription is Tylenol 1's which contain 8mg. of codeine.

From wikipedia "Tylenol 1 (available in Canada without a prescription) contains 325mg acetaminophen, 15mg caffeine and 8mg codeine"
Thanks Steve

Any idea on my query regarding number dispensed at one time etc?

I'll be going to see the pharmacist tomorrow about how to go about htis, as I'm running out, and ski season is upon us, so I won't survive without it.

Bx
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Otherwise you can have a consultation with a doctor at a walk in clinics and get a prescription (if you ask the pharmacist before hand how much it will cost you will know if this is doable). The walk in clinic costs $80 (or at least it did in Kamloops).
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

You will definitely need a prescription. The amount dispensed will depend upon what the doctor is willing to prescribe.

For your info Tylenol 4 has no caffeine.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

No chance. Codeine is a heavily controlled narcotic in Canada

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
You might be able to just buy them over the counter without a prescription.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:16 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SAW 04
No chance. Codeine is a heavily controlled narcotic in Canada
good, so it sholud be.....only 'just' available back here again over the counter but you have to swear on the 'whatever' that it's for medical reasons.....feel sorry for OP as i too have suffered from sciatica in moments and bronchitus too; codiene is a wonder drug.....sorry, not answereing your question but just sympathising......
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:28 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
You will definitely need a prescription. The amount dispensed will depend upon what the doctor is willing to prescribe.

For your info Tylenol 4 has no caffeine.
No Tylenol products for sale in the US contain caffeine, including the Tylenol 3 (300mg paracetamol/30mg codeine). I've no idea on the costs and import restrictions would be for filling a prescription in the US, but it may be worth Bandit's while investigating?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:29 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Steve

Any idea on my query regarding number dispensed at one time etc?

I'll be going to see the pharmacist tomorrow about how to go about htis, as I'm running out, and ski season is upon us, so I won't survive without it.

Bx
They will dispense what the doctor prescribes, I guess that would depend on how well they know the patient. Pharmacare will only count 90 days worth of drugs towards your deductible, so long as you are registered for fair Pharmacare. If you've not done this check out Pharamcare online.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 3rd 2008 at 2:33 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:37 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooka
Otherwise you can have a consultation with a doctor at a walk in clinics and get a prescription (if you ask the pharmacist before hand how much it will cost you will know if this is doable). The walk in clinic costs $80 (or at least it did in Kamloops).
Crikey! Our Walk in Clinic was $35 per visit before we were on the Alberta Health.

We are on a benefits plan and for my contraception they will allow me 3 months worth at a time - same as hubbies blood pressure tabs - so I don't know if you would get three months of your tabs.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:40 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Crikey! Our Walk in Clinic was $35 per visit before we were on the Alberta Health.
According to the Wiki and Alberta Health you should have been eligible for health care the day you arrived.

Why were you not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.