Postal charges....

Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postal charges....

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Yep, that's exactly what she did....length x height x depth = RIP OFF!
It is called dimensional weight and it is not a rip off. It is just a method of trying to share the cost of the shipment amongst all the users. If prices were based only on weight you would not be able to ship bulky but light items because a carrier would not be able to recover their costs.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:03 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is called dimensional weight and it is not a rip off. It is just a method of trying to share the cost of the shipment amongst all the users. If prices were based only on weight you would not be able to ship bulky but light items because a carrier would not be able to recover their costs.
That's as maybe but how a medium jiffy bag filled with something which is almost flat, apart from the bubble wrap I put around it, can equate to $120 is beyond me. My son's friends sent him a package from the UK last week, much more bulky, much bigger jiffy bag....I just looked at the stamp and it was £4.98. Now that price I do get.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
That's as maybe but how a medium jiffy bag filled with something which is almost flat, apart from the bubble wrap I put around it, can equate to $120 is beyond me. My son's friends sent him a package from the UK last week, much more bulky, much bigger jiffy bag....I just looked at the stamp and it was £4.98. Now that price I do get.
How big is this thing, and how were you asking to send it?

Something doesnt add up. $120 would be for overnight priority, with signed delivery etc...

Maybe a medium jiffy bag is bigger than I think, but something letter sized but fatter might cost $30 by low priority international air...

Still not worth the effort though in most cases.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 5th 2012 at 5:15 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:12 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Something doesnt add up. $120 would be for overnight priority, with signed delivery etc...

The same medium Jiffy bag, say letter sized, with a relatively light total weight might be $30 by international air at a guess.
If you have the strength you could work it out on CP's website.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:15 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We do the online purchase thing via amazon for prezzies ect. Canada post just price parcels as if they don't want the hassle.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:22 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I'm totally with you on this one. First christmas here I sent a parcel to the UK. Like a square sized shoe box if that makes sense, filled with little things (I made sure I was very clever to keep the weight down by buying cheap crap memontos of Canada and so on ) cost me $130 ish to send if I remember.

Course you don't want to look cheap by saying - errrr no thanks - and you don't want your rellies to think you're cheap by not paying for postage. So the first time you suck it up, and then spend the rest of the next year looking for alternatives!
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:34 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink

Maybe a medium jiffy bag is bigger than I think, but something letter sized but fatter might cost $30 by low priority international air...

Still not worth the effort though in most cases.
Exactly my point....I thought it would be in the $15 dollar mark, hence why I asked on here whether that seemed 'normal' or whether the CP lady had done something wrong.

Well I know now NOT to use CP unless it's completely necessary and even then, I'll think twice.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I'm totally with you on this one. First christmas here I sent a parcel to the UK. Like a square sized shoe box if that makes sense, filled with little things (I made sure I was very clever to keep the weight down by buying cheap crap memontos of Canada and so on ) cost me $130 ish to send if I remember.

Course you don't want to look cheap by saying - errrr no thanks - and you don't want your rellies to think you're cheap by not paying for postage. So the first time you suck it up, and then spend the rest of the next year looking for alternatives!
I understand the 'you don't want to look like a cheapo' bit.....there was a queue of people behind me who already knew it was a small present for my sister in Italy....so now they think 'what a stingebag' because I gasped and said no thanks. Mind you, the lady behind me squawked 'what?!' when the CP lady quoted the price so even the Canadians can be shocked by the prices.....
Old Oct 5th 2012, 7:17 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

Yep, first parcel home was everything in one parcel cos I thought that would be cheaper. The woman in the PO said to take it home and repackage in several parcels as small as possible.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add my two penneth in here.

I spent $35 on I think it was "express post" to get my police checks to the UK for a friend to sign.

They turned up 7... (yes 7!!!!) weeks later.

We paid £7 to ACRO to get the checks secure international delivery back to us here. There were here within a week.

"Pants" is the only word I can think of that isn't swearing re Canada post.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 7:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Can't find this years dates but last years dates for Christmas surface post to the UK was 25th October. I have sent before this date (beginning of Oct) and the stuff STILL didn't get there in time for Crimbo.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

we just ordered 2 copies of a book of house plans from BC

1 copy to go to us in BC and the other to go to my parents in the UK.

The copy to the UK arrived before ours, and I wasnt suprised 1 bit.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:57 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I'll add my two penneth in here.

I spent $35 on I think it was "express post" to get my police checks to the UK for a friend to sign.

They turned up 7... (yes 7!!!!) weeks later.

We paid £7 to ACRO to get the checks secure international delivery back to us here. There were here within a week.

"Pants" is the only word I can think of that isn't swearing re Canada post.
Gordon Bennett While we are on the topic, the quickest I have sent something to Canada / had stuff sent to me from the UK is 3 days. My posts have taken way longer than that within the 401 corridor