Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:18 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Originally Posted by Seedubs
One more thing to add to Aviators advice, if your camera is capable of manual focus, then normally it is best to set your focus to 'infinity'.

Normal slr lenses have a infinity marker on them, its just off maximum, looks like a prop/figure of eight.

It is normally easier to use manual focus with a timer or remote, otherwise the camera will attempt to focus/meter.

Experiment with all you settings, some people will swear by certain settings, but it will generally depend on your camera, the sky/light conditions & the environment.

Good luck, looking forward to your shots!

True to all that....if you are shooting in low light and at night, you want the lens wide open (small f stop) to let in more light. There are ways to take landscape, night shots etc without a tripod, either lie on the ground and rest your hands, or find a platform to keep your hands steady.

Depending on your camera, manual mode is best as you are able to control the other factors
Attached Thumbnails Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-img_3513.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-img_3522.jpg  

Last edited by ultrarunner; Oct 9th 2012 at 8:21 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
True to all that....if you are shooting in low light and at night, you want the lens wide open (small f stop) to let in more light. There are ways to take landscape, night shots etc without a tripod, either lie on the ground and rest your hands, or find a platform to keep your hands steady.

Depending on your camera, manual mode is best as you are able to control the other factors
You got it arse about face, a small aperture (f stop) is the smallest setting a lens will go to (e.g.f22 or f32), small hole lets in less light, the widest (largest aperture, biggest hole) is the lower number f1.2 for example, that lets in the most light. This confuses many beginners.

Most people don't need to use manual unless they want full control over the EV, otherwise aperture priority (you control DOF, static subjects) or shutter priority (you control shutter speed, moving and low light subject) will do. If you want to bracket, many cameras have auto bracketing or exposure compensation. Many pros will use one of these modes.

If you are going to rest a camera on a solid object other than a tripod, a bean bag is very useful to have, easier to carry around than a tripod.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 9th 2012 at 9:22 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:57 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You got it arse about face, a small aperture (f stop) is the smallest setting a lens will go to (e.g.f22 or f32), small hole lets in less light, the widest (largest aperture, biggest hole) is the lower number f1.2 for example, that lets in the most light. This confuses many beginners.

Most people don't need to use manual unless they want full control over the EV, otherwise aperture priority (you control DOF, static subjects) or shutter priority (you control shutter speed, moving and low light subject) will do. If you want to bracket, many cameras have auto bracketing or exposure compensation. Many pros will use one of these modes.

If you are going to rest a camera on a solid object other than a tripod, a bean bag is very useful to have, easier to carry around than a tripod.
No I did not when you are explaining it to someone "who is not into it". By wide open I am talking about the lower F that let sin the most light as you put it. The higher F numbers are used when taking landscape shots i.e F11 onwards
Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

No I did not when you are explaining it to someone "who is not into it". By wide open I am talking about the lower F that let sin the most light as you put it. The higher F numbers are used when taking landscape shots i.e F11 onwards
Why would you explain something to someone 'not into it' incorrectly and confuse them even more? The 'higher' f stops are used to control depth of field, whether you are shooting landscape, portrait or macro, matters not. Sometimes even landscape requires a larger aperture.

One can also use a smaller aperture if one requires a slower shutter speed and can accept the DOF it provides. Otherwise use a ND to slow down the shutter speed and have a shallow depth of field.

Anything else you'd like to learn?

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 10th 2012 at 1:27 am.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:40 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you explain something to someone 'not into it' incorrectly and confuse them even more? The 'higher' f stops are used to control depth of field, whether you are shooting landscape, portrait or macro, matters not. Sometimes even landscape requires a larger aperture.

One can also use a smaller aperture if one requires a slower shutter speed and can accept the DOF it provides. Otherwise use a ND to slow down the shutter speed and have a shallow depth of field.

Anything else you'd like to learn?
I think you're shooting above his head (sorry). You should explain in one syllable grunts what the f ratio means. As you know of course it's the ratio of the focal length of the lens (system) to the clear aperture. But since this involves simple arithmetic its likely beyond his reach.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think you're shooting above his head (sorry). You should explain in one syllable grunts what the f ratio means. As you know of course it's the ratio of the focal length of the lens (system) to the clear aperture. But since this involves simple arithmetic its likely beyond his reach.
I was thinking we could progress on to hyperfocal distance next?

This is a good site for photographers of all levels http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

There you go again, making assumptions, I would love to be 'into it' as you put it but currently do no have the time to partake in ANY of my relaxing hobbies.

In fact what I would love is a proper camera and a darkroom... Hmmm, maybe that's what I could use that strange spare room room for I think my problem is the type of camera I have, I should have gone up in smaller stages and not got a Fuji (don't like it).
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
There you go again, making assumptions, I would love to be 'into it' as you put it but currently do no have the time to partake in ANY of my relaxing hobbies.

In fact what I would love is a proper camera and a darkroom... Hmmm, maybe that's what I could use that strange spare room room for I think my problem is the type of camera I have, I should have gone up in smaller stages and not got a Fuji (don't like it).
Would not bother, some people just have no idea what they are talking about, offer nothing constructive and think they are experts.

Stick your camera on auto, take pics you like, when you find something you want to learn, ask someone (who has an idea what they are talking about), look at the manual, then try something different. Gradually, you'll be surprised how much you figure out.

Does not matter how long one has been 'in to it' there is always something to learn. Digital brought a whole new dimension to photography and opened up a new world to many of varying levels. A great way to learn if you have time is join a photo club.

Darkrooms are for days gone by, you can do it all on computer now. Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and that's about all most would need. Photodex ProShow is fun for slideshows though.

Take pics, have fun.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 10th 2012 at 2:31 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:10 pm
Banned

Would not bother, some people just have no idea what they are talking about, offer nothing constructive and think they are experts.

Stick your camera on auto, take pics you like, when you find something you want to learn, ask someone (who has an idea what they are talking about), look at the manual, then try something different. Gradually, you'll be surprised how much you figure out.

Does not matter how long one has been 'in to it' there is always something to learn. Digital brought a whole new dimension to photography and opened up a new world to many of varying levels. A great way to learn if you have time is join a photo club.

Darkrooms are for days gone by, you can do it all on computer now. Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and that's about all most would need. Photodex ProShow is fun for slideshows though.

Take pics, have fun.
Stating the obvious and convincing yourself that you are making sense? Yep that's it...just stick it in auto and you are good to go

I wasn't really knocking piff poff's pics, just saying handhelp pics aren't going to come out as decent as steady pics
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Can we ALL move on please. This endless thrashing back and forth is beyond tiresome now and NOT at all what this forum is supposed to be about.

Consider this a polite warning. Constructive criticism and tips (one time!) are welcome. Endlessly rehashing the same points over and over is not.

And the playing of the man with passive aggressive remarks is not at all welcome, just ignore those that annoy you for everyones sake.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2012 at 3:18 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 4:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Take pics, have fun.
I agree! there's lots of fun to be had with free software too, I use Picasa most of the time but do have Photoshop too. I rarely use manual settings on the camera. I have a Fuji and get some great photos ( she says modestly) using composition, natural light and some post processing. The beauty of digital is that it costs nothing to keep on taking photos. Just try it and see.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with Aviator too PP. A couple of days ago my (hubbys) cousin asked me to come and take some more family pics (last time I did them was earlier this year.)

So I jumped online because I wanted to know how to do that "Fuzzy in the background / foreground but subect in focus" look.

So I learned that and practiced out in the yard with the dogs.

Here's how a couple of the (over 400 ) turned out ( I really enjoyed taking pictures of our new neice!!!!!)
Attached Thumbnails Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-dpp_0118.jpg   Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-dpp_0121.jpg  
Old Oct 10th 2012, 5:40 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I totally agree with Aviator too PP. A couple of days ago my (hubbys) cousin asked me to come and take some more family pics (last time I did them was earlier this year.)

So I jumped online because I wanted to know how to do that "Fuzzy in the background / foreground but subect in focus" look.

Here's how a couple of the (over 400 ) turned out ( I really enjoyed taking pictures of our new neice!!!!!)
Ooh, those are splendid! Love her expression in the second one...
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:16 pm
Banned

Awwwww...look at those cheeks

Mandy, those are great pics. By fuzzy in the background, you mean blurring the background so the object pops. Here is more tips on how to

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...ckgrounds.aspx

With my Canon, I just use the 50mm f/1.8 lens (known as plastic fantastic) to do portraits and it easily blurs out the background
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:09 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

They are great pics. I'm just going to uses Auto for a bit longer until I have time to play a bit, life is just rush rush and getting nothing done right now. And for those that recommend using photoshop and the like, some of us just don't like sitting at a computer trying to figure out even more technology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.