Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Well....to state the obvious, patience is needed and a better tripod than a dollar store one.
Er why? The dollar store one is the exact same one I could have bought for 15/20 dollars in a Future shop style store - it's only a little table top one and seeing as you can't answer my question properly I have to assume you actually have not idea what your talking about - at least I admit it.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Er why? The dollar store one is the exact same one I could have bought for 15/20 dollars in a Future shop style store - it's only a little table top one and seeing as you can't answer my question properly I have to assume you actually have not idea what your talking about - at least I admit it.
Lightweight tripods will give some shake in windy conditions or on long exposures, other than that they work fine. Make sure you turn any image stabilization off when using a tripod otherwise this screws everything up.

Some cameras, you can push the shutter button half way down to focus, then move the camera with the shutter button held in this position, this will then hold the exposure and focus (not on all though).

Some cameras, you can change the focus point in the menus, Canon for example have red dots in the viewfinder, you can select which one is the focus and auto exposure point. When I am taking macro, I'll set the centre one, for scenic, one in the top left. I use manual exposure and autofocus (the eyesight is not what it once was). Rule of thirds is a guide, don't get too hung up on it, if the shot works for you, what else do you need. Many experienced photographers move beyond this and frame by eye, sometime complying with rule of thirds, sometimes not.

Does not work out how I want it all the time, but most.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 8th 2012 at 8:12 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:26 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Lightweight tripods will give some shake in windy conditions or on long exposures, other than that they work fine. Make sure you turn any image stabilization off when using a tripod otherwise this screws everything up.

Some cameras, you can push the shutter button half way down to focus, then move the camera with the shutter button held in this position, this will then hold the exposure and focus (not on all though).

Some cameras, you can change the focus point in the menus, Canon for example have red dots in the viewfinder, you can select which one is the focus and auto exposure point. When I am taking macro, I'll set the centre one, for scenic, one in the top left. I use manual exposure and autofocus (the eyesight is not what it once was). Rule of thirds is a guide, don't get too hung up on it, if the shot works for you, what else do you need. Many experienced photographers move beyond this and frame by eye, sometime complying with rule of thirds, sometimes not.

Does not work out how I want it all the time, but most.
Thanks for that, I do need to play with my camera with the instructions in front of me, I never seem to have time though.

My initial question was how I could take better pictures of the Aurora next time we seem them, is it down to the Aperture settings or something else?
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I do need to play with my camera with the instructions in front of me, I never seem to have time though.

My initial question was how I could take better pictures of the Aurora next time we seem them, is it down to the Aperture settings or something else?
Set your image quality to high. Take jpg, if you shoot raw, you have to post process (unless you want to do that, as raw is better). You end up with a bigger file, but better resolution. Aperture will make little difference to a shot such as this. If you can set aperture, go for the widest possible and focus on the subject, this will give the highest shutter speed possible for the exposure.

Taking night shots usually involves a long exposure, any camera shake will show as a blurred image. If you can use a remote release for the shutter, this will lessen the likelihood of shake, if this is not possible, set the timer to a 10 second delay, press the shutter button to focus and trigger the timer, by the time the shutter fires any shake as a result of pressing the shutter button should have stopped. Keep the camera out of the wind and in a sheltered spot to avoid the wind moving the camera.

What camera model are you using?

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 8th 2012 at 11:52 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 12:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

America. (It's all the same, docha know).
Attached Thumbnails Post The Latest Picture You Have Taken-025.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2012, 2:17 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The aurora is out there right now. So I've been told but I'm in a town so can't see it yet
Old Oct 9th 2012, 2:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Set your image quality to high. Take jpg, if you shoot raw, you have to post process (unless you want to do that, as raw is better). You end up with a bigger file, but better resolution. Aperture will make little difference to a shot such as this. If you can set aperture, go for the widest possible and focus on the subject, this will give the highest shutter speed possible for the exposure.

Taking night shots usually involves a long exposure, any camera shake will show as a blurred image. If you can use a remote release for the shutter, this will lessen the likelihood of shake, if this is not possible, set the timer to a 10 second delay, press the shutter button to focus and trigger the timer, by the time the shutter fires any shake as a result of pressing the shutter button should have stopped. Keep the camera out of the wind and in a sheltered spot to avoid the wind moving the camera.
That's actually a bunch of very good advice.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 2:45 am

What camera model are you using?
I'm using a Fuji Finepix S1500, shoots in jpeg.

Originally Posted by bats
The aurora is out there right now. So I've been told but I'm in a town so can't see it yet
We've got cloud tonight, I'll keep checking though.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:23 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm certainly not either of them. Although that's me in the spacesuit.
You did remember to put the Hasselblad back in the LEM, didn't you? It seems to be missing.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:28 pm

I'm using a Fuji Finepix S1500, shoots in jpeg.
Scanning the manual;

For tripod or supported shooting, turn off IS (image stabilization) For night scenery and any landscape turn off flash.
You can manually set the exposure value (M) page 39 of the manual, however if you choose aperture priority (S), page 37 and set the aperture as wide as possible, the camera will set the shutter speed to the fastest possible.
Does not look like you can use a remote release, so using the timer option is best for long exposures.
You can change the auto focus point (page 74) if you don’t want to focus in the centre of the viewfinder. This way you don't have to compose the shot and hold down the shutter button then re compose in a different location.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:43 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Well...with that kind of attitude Not all tripods are created equal, to many of us that have photography as a hobby, it's not uncommon to have 2-3 different kinds based on were and what you are shooting. Weight, rigidity and quick release are a number of factors that come into play
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well...with that kind of attitude Not all tripods are created equal, to many of us that have photography as a hobby, it's not uncommon to have 2-3 different kinds based on were and what you are shooting. Weight, rigidity and quick release are a number of factors that come into play
But, if you don't actually take the pictures, just find them on the internet, it doesn't matter how many tripods you have. You can hardly expect to be thought an authority.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:24 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But, if you don't actually take the pictures, just find them on the internet, it doesn't matter how many tripods you have. You can hardly expect to be thought an authority.
Kinda of like the one of your supposedly VW bug?
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Kinda of like the one of your supposedly VW bug?
My VW is absolutely a VW. I have not faked my VW. I'd be surprised if anyone has ever faked a VW.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Seedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant future

One more thing to add to Aviators advice, if your camera is capable of manual focus, then normally it is best to set your focus to 'infinity'.

Normal slr lenses have a infinity marker on them, its just off maximum, looks like a prop/figure of eight.

It is normally easier to use manual focus with a timer or remote, otherwise the camera will attempt to focus/meter.

Experiment with all you settings, some people will swear by certain settings, but it will generally depend on your camera, the sky/light conditions & the environment.

Good luck, looking forward to your shots!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.