Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Post Christmas e-book/Kindle question

Post Christmas e-book/Kindle question

Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:11 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Christmas e-book/Kindle question

I love my kindle, but it is a little older than some - called the key pad here in UK now.
  • Easy to connect to wifi in uk, 3G also great so far in UK & US
  • Buy far more & read more than before - I check the cheap / free books on the top 100 regularly
  • I change between real books and the kindle easily & never thought I would though the larger paperbacks / hardbacks seem heavy in comparison now
  • The search function on the kindle itself not as good as the full website if I don't know the author - if I do though the text search pulls up a list pretty quickly

I had tried out a kobo a couple of years ago and never got on with that - there was a page turn noise that was unexpectedly irritating - not sure if new models have this.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:26 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using a Kindle for over a year, and have over 150 books on it. Mine has a keyboard. I bought my OH one of the new ones for Xmas. Unlike me, he is a technophobe, so I was prepared to send it back to Amazon if necessary. However, he took to it like a duck to water and downloaded a complete Jules Verne, his favourite author when he was a child. He has already read 10,000 Leagues under The Sea and The Island of Doctor Moreau.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 7:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm loving mine. It broke pretty soon after Christmas though, but Amazon sent a replacement straight away.

I've finished reading 4 books on it already, so reading much more than usual, because it's pretty much always in my coat pocket if heading out, so can read while waiting for the missus when picking her up and stuff.

It's not as satisfying when there's no heavy thump of closing a finished book, but it is quite lovely and nice.

For the online stuff, check facebook and twitter status on it now and again if the missus is using the laptop and it's okay for it, as a nice little bonus, but I wouldn't want to be online on it, as I don't have the keyboard or touch version.

I'm loving how Calibre is able to get news feeds into article format and emailed to the Kindle in time for morning read, so able to read my old local paper as well as various other news sources while having my cup of tea
Old Jan 28th 2012, 7:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I love my Kindle ( a friend's Kobo feels very heavy in comparison PP ).

I read so much more now.

My one niggle is that when you are reading a book, I would like it to say the title of the book at the top of the screen. I sometimes download about four books by one author. Someone asks me what I am reading and I have no clue.
I created a collection called "Current Read" and then put the book I'm reading into that, when finished, I remove it from that collection and tag into a "Read" collection, as well as having all the books tagged by author, makes searching around really easy...but it was a chore to initially organise.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
But the library doesn't support Kindles - I checked

Use Calibre to convert the format?

The Kobo is also about $30 more expensive than Kindle down my way...library e-book cover is pretty spotty, the Sony books are well covered, but also Kindle, but none for other books, but you download the books to your library account and transfer from that, so could always convert the format.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by MarkG
Good for you. Tonight it was working fine, I turned it off, I turned it back on, it said there were no wireless networks, then it said there were five wireless networks and made me select one to connect to even though it's the same wireless network it's been connecting to forever... then it told me to enter my password again. Which is a 64-character random string.

Edit: So I entered my 64-character random password again, it said it couldn't connect and asked if I wanted to enter it again, I picked 'cancel' and now it's connected.

I have never had to deal with such a crappy wireless interface on any other device.
Your Kindle is obviously shagged then. Get Amazon to replace it.

There are also a bunch of debug options you can get into to change some network settings to improve connection issue, but I can't remember them off hand, probably google them.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to have lost my kindle... can't find it anywhere.

And I am surprisingly upset about it as well!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:51 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Kobo touch WiFi on Saturday - So far I LOVE IT, I'm 81% through my first book on it.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 3:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I've been using a Kindle for over a year, and have over 150 books on it. Mine has a keyboard. I bought my OH one of the new ones for Xmas. Unlike me, he is a technophobe, so I was prepared to send it back to Amazon if necessary. However, he took to it like a duck to water and downloaded a complete Jules Verne, his favourite author when he was a child. He has already read 10,000 Leagues under The Sea and The Island of Doctor Moreau.
That's a new one on me, is it just half as long as 20,000 Leagues under the Sea?..
Old Jan 31st 2012, 3:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That's a new one on me, is it just half as long as 20,000 Leagues under the Sea?..
Nice one. I'm not a Verne fan, myself. Had to stifle a yawn when OH read the passage about the giant squid to me.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Nice one. I'm not a Verne fan, myself. Had to stifle a yawn when OH read the passage about the giant squid to me.
I've just downloaded The Midwife, the book the BBC series 'Call the Midwife' was taken from, and Birdsong, which has just been on BBC
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:15 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I bought a Kobo touch WiFi on Saturday - So far I LOVE IT, I'm 81% through my first book on it.
I got the same one for Xmas and I'm with you. I love it. I like tech though. The only thing I miss about books is being able to read in teh bath. Apart from that I prefer my Kobo. With a Kobo you can also get e-books for free from Canadian libraries.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I got the same one for Xmas and I'm with you. I love it. I like tech though. The only thing I miss about books is being able to read in teh bath. Apart from that I prefer my Kobo. With a Kobo you can also get e-books for free from Canadian libraries.

You can still read in the bath... just be careful not to drop it in the water!

I read my kindle in the bath all the time.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:43 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I've just downloaded The Midwife, the book the BBC series 'Call the Midwife' was taken from, and Birdsong, which has just been on BBC
Just been watching that on the Beeb, enjoying it actually.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:21 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I know! I downloaded three at the weekend All it costs is my $10 a year library membership.