Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

To the polls BC goes.

To the polls BC goes.

Old Sep 21st 2020, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default To the polls BC goes.

Looks like BC is heading for an early election. I hope the NDP can get a majority this time around, worst thing possible is for BC Liberals to gain power.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7344215/b...fall-election/

Oct. 24, about 1 year early, next election was to be in October 2021.

Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To the polls BC goes.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
worst thing possible is for BC Liberals to gain power.
Why is that? Don't you have a Conservative Party there? We have tories here and they're assholes.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

jeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond reputejeremy brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I think the BC liberals are the nearest to a conservative party

they are i gather middle of the road right wing party
as opposed to ndp who middle of the road left wing

I was always told BC does better with a BC liberal party in power
on the rare time anyone discusses politics here in BC

I just hope whoever gets in, doesn't keep 'printing money' otherwise my kids will be paying taxes for many many years to clear the BC debt
cheers
jerry

Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Why is that? Don't you have a Conservative Party there? We have tories here and they're assholes.
There is a BC conservative party, but its pretty right wing and not really what you would call a viable party, they never win seats.

BC Liberals (not really liberal or associated with the federal liberal party) NDP and now greens since they have some seats are the viable choices.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 21st 2020 at 9:48 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

20,000 people requested mail in ballots in the first 24 hours, the results of the election might be delayed by up to 2 weeks.

NDP completed 79% of the campaign promises they made in the last election.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2020-1.5733474

The portable classroom thing I don't get why its such a big topic in BC, are the portables crummy or something?

We had "portables" when I was in school, but they were no different than the regular classrooms, they were just quicker and easier to build, but they had everything any other classroom had, and more, the portables had air conditioning where the regular classrooms had no a/c...

Old Sep 25th 2020, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Sounds like there may have been some break down in the Green-NDP partnership.

The BC Liberals apparently cannot think of anything unique to run on, so they appear to basically be running on what got the NDP elected in 2017..

"Wilkinson says the Liberals are poised to introduce a campaign platform that focuses on child care, addiction and homelessness."

Funny how BC Liberals had from 2001 to 2017 to work on these issues and did very little.

Global News
Old Sep 26th 2020, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I vote for different parties provincially and federally.

Anyone else?
Old Sep 26th 2020, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560

Anyone else?
There's no name equivalence between BC provincial parties and federal parties, except maybe the Greens.
BC NDP are same as federal Liberals, BC Liberals are same as federal Conservatives and BC Conservatives are same as National Party (imo).
Old Sep 26th 2020, 9:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560

Anyone else?
Not here - not that I can vote anyway (as I think we have previously discussed ) - but there was a time when I thought they got the names around the wrong way.

When I first moved to New Brunswick the provincial Liberal party was in favour of Ambulance charges while the Conservatives opposed them and it was the Liberals that wanted to sell off NB Power to Quebec Hydro. It just seemed backwards.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 12:41 am
Account Closed

I am always surprised how fast candidate signs go up following an announcement there will be an election.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

BC Liberal supporters last week complaining about NDP spending too much during COVID and running a deficit.

BC Liberal supporters this week, woo hoo, they are promising to cut PST to 0% for 1 year and then bring it back at 3%, while doing so would add to the deficit.

Doing so would result in some $7 billion lost revenue in the first year and the only way any government can make up that kind of loss is to cut services, bet they would cut disability payments, social assistance, and healthcare.

Apparently also vowed to cut speculation and vacancy tax on housing too, which only affects those with investment properties, shows where their priorities are.

Gawd I hope they don't win.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 28th 2020 at 11:08 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 5:59 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Gawd I hope they don't win.
Doesn't seem likely, does it? They're selling Bonnie Henry t-shirts.....
Old Sep 29th 2020, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Doesn't seem likely, does it? They're selling Bonnie Henry t-shirts.....

At this moment in time, I don't think the BC Liberals will win. CBC seems to lean towards NDP winning a majority.

Old Oct 1st 2020, 12:50 am
Account Closed

My wife got her ballot in the mail today.

I guess with a snap election they don't have time to print the candidates names for the riding on the ballot, its a write in ballot, and you have to searching for the names of whoever is running in the riding.

Old Oct 1st 2020, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Or just write in the name of the party?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.