View Poll Results: Which country is more polite?
Canada
44.00%
Britain
56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Polite speaking

Old May 29th 2018, 9:15 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Polite speaking

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I don’t think I can vote.

Canadians are more polite in some circumstances and Brits in others.
I like how Canadians in the service sector are often more relaxed and open though. The service sector in the UK tends to be very rigid and a lot of service sector employees seem quite cold and robotic.
Old May 29th 2018, 8:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I like how Canadians in the service sector are often more relaxed and open though. The service sector in the UK tends to be very rigid and a lot of service sector employees seem quite cold and robotic.
Usually quite efficient though.
Old May 30th 2018, 12:09 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Usually quite efficient though.
I think they're a hit and miss at best and usually completely useless when it comes to anything outside of their ordinary day to day script.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think they're a hit and miss at best and usually completely useless when it comes to anything outside of their ordinary day to day script.
I think this describes most Canadians
Old May 31st 2018, 6:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this counts as 'polite' but it's probably the most recent suitable thread...

CP strike starts.
CP strike ends before 24 hours are up

Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not sure if this counts as 'polite' but it's probably the most recent suitable thread...

CP strike starts.

So quick I didn't even notice...lol. Did they not just strike in 2016?
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
So quick I didn't even notice...lol. Did they not just strike in 2016?
2012 I saw. Maybe they flexed muscles in 2016. Politely of course.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

2012 I saw. Maybe they flexed muscles in 2016. Politely of course.
Might have been CN or Via Rail in 2016, I think both of those railroads had some labor disputes that year, not sure if it ever led to a strike though, can't remember...
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

CP strike starts.

It doesn't compare to the now 13 week old strike at York University which our daughter is caught up in. Most self entitled academics I've ever run into. Buried in all of the ra ra sentiment that the provincial NDP are getting is the fact that they wouldn't engage in back to work legislation.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-liberals-ndp/
Old Jul 31st 2019, 4:17 pm
Oscar nominated

Went for my quarterly blood work this morning. I have to fast so I like to get it done early but I usually try to avoid the early crowd first thing.

But today I got there 10 minutes before opening, wanting to be home before it got too hot and humid for the walk back.

The ticket machine hadn't been set up. I was third there with a few more arriving immediately after. A couple of staff arrived and set up their computers.

By now there were a dozen of us including a woman who stood right where the machine would be and when it got set up, she brazenly took the first ticket.

The two ahead of me spoke up with a "hey, there are people before you" and there was much discontent as she ignored everyone and went to one of the registration desks to be first in.

Everyone else took their tickets according to their arrival, with the guy who came just after me gently pushing me ahead of him as I was making doubly sure there hadn't been someone ahead of me around a corner.

Having finished registering, this woman then had to walk through us across the hall to the phlebotomists so a few whinged at her again. She just ignored everyone again and then she got it again when the next ones caught up with her there.

Still ignoring everyone.

I suppose if you're going to be so brazen, completely ignoring any objections is the way to go to avoid confrontation.

Polite even.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Went for my quarterly blood work this morning. I have to fast so I like to get it done early but I usually try to avoid the early crowd first thing.

But today I got there 10 minutes before opening, wanting to be home before it got too hot and humid for the walk back.

The ticket machine hadn't been set up. I was third there with a few more arriving immediately after. A couple of staff arrived and set up their computers.

By now there were a dozen of us including a woman who stood right where the machine would be and when it got set up, she brazenly took the first ticket.

The two ahead of me spoke up with a "hey, there are people before you" and there was much discontent as she ignored everyone and went to one of the registration desks to be first in.

Everyone else took their tickets according to their arrival, with the guy who came just after me gently pushing me ahead of him as I was making doubly sure there hadn't been someone ahead of me around a corner.

Having finished registering, this woman then had to walk through us across the hall to the phlebotomists so a few whinged at her again. She just ignored everyone again and then she got it again when the next ones caught up with her there.

Still ignoring everyone.

I suppose if you're going to be so brazen, completely ignoring any objections is the way to go to avoid confrontation.

Polite even.
She was probably a Brit!
Old Jul 31st 2019, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A person did that to me once at the walk in clinic, I got there 1/2 hour before opening and was first, then about 20 more showed up and waited behind me, this person was hovering around the door, as soon as it was unlocked she rushed in, but everyone else in line told on her, so the front desk person sent her to the end of the line, by the time they got to the person who cut, the wait was over 2 hours........sometimes line cutters do get caught.

Still ignoring everyone.

Polite even.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 6:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If you're ahead of me at the 16 item Express grocery check-out and you have 19 items, you'd better be prepared to eat 3 of them right there.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 12:13 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
She was probably a Brit!
I find that most unfair...and she probably wasn’t!
Old Aug 1st 2019, 12:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the Canadian, depends on the Brit.

I like this comment on the Guardian article 'Sorry seems to be the hardest word'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.