PM Boris

Old Oct 23rd 2019, 10:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM Boris

It's not only Johnson, but Rees-Mogg and Gove have got stakes in hedgefuds, and a lot of money invested in them as well, If Brexit DOESN'T happen on 31st October they stand to lose a lot of money (on paper). Well Brexit will NOT happen on 31st October, and the look on Rees-Mogg's face when the result of the second vote was announced was brilliant, he almost looked like bursting into tears.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 11:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It's not only Johnson, but Rees-Mogg and Gove have got stakes in hedgefuds,
Please excuse me. It's been a bit of a morning.

I read that as

" --- have got their stakes in hedgehogs "

Old Oct 24th 2019, 12:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Depends on what one considers evidence.
Calls for inquiry into claims Johnson backers benefit from no-deal Brexit

It's the guardian, of course, that means that some people will pay no attention to the fact that the claims came from others (including his sister) and won't give it any credence because it wasn't reported in their Mail
John McDonnell pushing an online conspiracy theory that has been widely debunked by anyone with any knowledge of how the financial markets work is not 'evidence'.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 12:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
John McDonnell pushing an online conspiracy theory that has been widely debunked by anyone with any knowledge of how the financial markets work is not 'evidence'.
Did he have Boris' sister in his pocket?
Old Oct 24th 2019, 1:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Did he have Boris' sister in his pocket?
Or the former top civil servant in the Treasury, Nick Macpherson? Not to mention Philip Hammond, no doubt another financial illiterate.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...o-deal-backers
Old Oct 24th 2019, 1:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Or the former top civil servant in the Treasury, Nick Macpherson? Not to mention Philip Hammond, no doubt another financial illiterate.

It's a bit of a leap from "his backers stand to gain" to "he's acting specifically for their benefit". If I bet on Tottenham, Sonny is not going to try harder to score. I don't doubt that there are senior figures in the Conservative Party who are directly seeking to influence policy to the detriment of the country for personal gain, JRM for example, but I don't think there's enough evidence to pin that charge on Johnson.

Old Oct 24th 2019, 1:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a bit of a leap from "his backers stand to gain" to "he's acting specifically for their benefit". If I bet on Tottenham, Sonny is not going to try harder to score. I don't doubt that there are senior figures in the Conservative Party who are directly seeking to influence policy to the detriment of the country for personal gain, JRM for example, but I don't think there's enough evidence to pin that charge on Johnson.
That would be why McConnell asked the Cabinet Secretary to consider conducting an enquiry. To see if there is enough (or any) evidence.

Old Oct 24th 2019, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I suspect some of the debunking by those who have knowledge of financial markets work are the same sort of people who denied there was anything wrong with banking prior to the 2008 bank failures. Some don't want to accept that there's a problem, especially if those people are profiting from the lack of accountability.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 3:10 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it's a fact of life that some with well defined beliefs tend to be predisposed to believe stories and commentators that support their views.
At the moment it's reached a zenith in the US where anti-Trumps watch CNN and pro-Trumps watch Fox. I watch both and really some days you'd be forgiven if you thought you lived in different universes.
This leave-remain argument finds itself in a similar place. Everyone has an agenda even sisters and, more likely, senior civil servants.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 3:17 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I suppose it's a fact of life that some with well defined beliefs tend to be predisposed to believe stories and commentators that support their views.
At the moment it's reached a zenith in the US where anti-Trumps watch CNN and pro-Trumps watch Fox. I watch both and really some days you'd be forgiven if you thought you lived in different universes.
This leave-remain argument finds itself in a similar place. Everyone has an agenda even sisters and, more likely, senior civil servants.
They say that Britain is no longer politically Right/Left, but Remain/Leave.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 3:52 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
They say that Britain is no longer politically Right/Left, but Remain/Leave.
They say? Who says?
I suspect that 'they' may be right and if 'they' are then the next election will be a de facto second referendum and will likely carry more significance since the winner will likely have control of parliament.
It'll be interesting to see whether the tail will begin to wag the dog and whether the leave/remain trend will begin to dictate party thinking.

Old Oct 24th 2019, 4:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There is, though, the rather important difference in knowing only the one view and 'liking' that view and knowing more than one view, together with the reasons behind the views and siding with the reasoning/view having considered them.
This leave-remain argument finds itself in a similar place.
I watch neither CNN nor Fox but I accept that people talk about bias in their coverage just as they do for, let's say, the Guardian and the Daily Mail.

But what I do know is that the guardian frequently, if not always, presents both sides of an argument. As I said in a different thread here last week, the newspaper is 'remain' but they posted two opinion pieces last week to support Boris Johnson's bill and leave by the end of the month.

Old Oct 24th 2019, 4:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

They say? Who says?
I suspect that 'they' may be right and if 'they' are then the next election will be a de facto second referendum and will likely carry more significance since the winner will likely have control of parliament.
It'll be interesting to see whether the tail will begin to wag the dog and whether the leave/remain trend will begin to dictate party thinking.
They is a specifically a journo that I was listening to the other day (or was it a politician)...but I've been hearing this theory quite a bit over the past several months. This time it was underlying the observation that Remainers and Leavers don't actually like/trust each other (much more division than Right / Left) and it's going to be a serious problem for the country once Brexit progresses to the next stage.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 4:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So now it seems likely there'll be another election. Brexit for Brexit, Conservatives for Brexit, Lib/Dems for Remain, Labour for dithering. Unless, of course, there isn't.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 7:31 pm
Listen to the Music

Originally Posted by dbd33
So now it seems likely there'll be another election. Brexit for Brexit, Conservatives for Brexit, Lib/Dems for Remain, Labour for dithering. Unless, of course, there isn't.
At the moment, who knows what'll change as polls influence MPs chances of remaining on the gravy train.
It's a shining example of how MPs refuse to surrender their personal benefit when an opposition refuses an election, where the government has a majority of -40+, because they think they might lose since their stand may be contrary to public opinion.
Understandable, but like Canute holding back the tide they'll end up getting their feet wet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.