PM Boris

Old Sep 7th 2019, 7:59 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM Boris

Originally Posted by Shard
Oh gawd AC, don't watch morons like that guy. A couple of nutjobs on another thread post his videos, he has a really warped opinion.

Which UK media do you read (if any)?
He's no moron, his analysis is pretty damn shrewd, and consistently. Perhaps 30 years ago you'd have called Spitting Image moronic.

It must be really tough being a political satirist at the moment, it's hard to tell the difference between reality and satire.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 8:14 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
He's no moron, his analysis is pretty damn shrewd, and consistently. Perhaps 30 years ago you'd have called Spitting Image moronic.

It must be really tough being a political satirist at the moment, it's hard to tell the difference between reality and satire.
I watched that one and it was ok (satire as you say). I've watched other episodes which I didn't like. I wouldn't elevate him anywhere near Spitting Image.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

On a lighter note, little Britain personified.......
Old Sep 8th 2019, 6:49 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I see that Amber Rudd has decided to pull another nail from Boris's sinking ship.
Amber Rudd, child of a stockbroker and a magistrate, descendant of Charles II, and former pupil at Cheltenham Ladies College, an educational facility open to few young ladies from the east end, is another typical UK lawmaker seeking to enhance the lifestyle of ordinary citizens by choosing to resign from the government.
And why?
Apparently she doesn't agree with Boris sacking her mates.
But of course she's eminently qualified to understand how ordinary people live because she actually worked for a living, or at least had a job, before becoming an MP.
After graduating with a useful History degree she was obviously prime material for her first job with J P Morgan, you know that bank, but fortunately another promising opportunity invited her to become a director of the investment company Lawnstone Limited at the experienced age of 24 taking over from her sister and brother-in-law.
So Boris identified a like minded individual who sadly doesn't need to be PM just yet and still has a few unused knives in her belt and can await a better opportunity to use them.
So she's gone... but she'll be back, just thinks she's backed the wrong horse this time.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 8:29 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's catty.

It's funny to see conservatives turning on each other like this. Keep it up! Who's next for the hatchet job?
Old Sep 8th 2019, 2:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
...another typical UK lawmaker.....she's (not) eminently qualified to understand how ordinary people live...
Arguably that's what the country has governing it. At least some of them are operating with a few principles though.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:54 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Q. Just how many cajones does Boris has and how macho are they?
I've been scraping the inside of my cranium to see how the great man will escape the death plunge. Anyone familiar with Flash Gordon will remember that just before the Cosmojet smashes into smithereens, our hero (deliberately not included in the previous episode) miraculously escapes using the Escapopod.
Well I've just heard of a brexit Escapopod, and I've beaten myself over the head for not thinking of it.
The bill passed on Friday passed into law the requirement that the PM write a scripted letter to the EU requesting an extension.
I've been wondering whether Macron might veto the request, but of course he doesn't need to.
As a member of the EU, Boris can write the letter and then veto his own request and the only way remainers can stop this is to agree to a general election.
The move is there on the board, the question is, does Boris have the balls to see it through?
It's one of those games where it's checkmate in two but the flag's about to fall and you've very little time.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 2:02 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Q. Just how many cajones does Boris has and how macho are they?
I've been scraping the inside of my cranium to see how the great man will escape the death plunge. Anyone familiar with Flash Gordon will remember that just before the Cosmojet smashes into smithereens, our hero (deliberately not included in the previous episode) miraculously escapes using the Escapopod.
Well I've just heard of a brexit Escapopod, and I've beaten myself over the head for not thinking of it.
The bill passed on Friday passed into law the requirement that the PM write a scripted letter to the EU requesting an extension.
I've been wondering whether Macron might veto the request, but of course he doesn't need to.
As a member of the EU, Boris can write the letter and then veto his own request and the only way remainers can stop this is to agree to a general election.
The move is there on the board, the question is, does Boris have the balls to see it through?
It's one of those games where it's checkmate in two but the flag's about to fall and you've very little time.
I read over the weekend that it's the R27 who would need agree to an extension. The UK is not part of that process, and does not have the power of veto over that request.
One option appears to be for the PM to write two letters: one requesting an extension and a second asking the R27 to decline the request in the previous letter. That would be extraordinarily disingenuous even for Boris, but he's so unutterably untrustworthy and mendacious (not to mention totally under the thumb of Dominic Cummings, who is an even more odious toad) that I wouldn't put it past him.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 2:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I read over the weekend that it's the R27 who would need agree to an extension. The UK is not part of that process, and does not have the power of veto over that request.
One option appears to be for the PM to write two letters: one requesting an extension and a second asking the R27 to decline the request in the previous letter. That would be extraordinarily disingenuous even for Boris, but he's so unutterably untrustworthy and mendacious (not to mention totally under the thumb of Dominic Cummings, who is an even more odious toad) that I wouldn't put it past him.
They're saying the side-letter may not be looked upon favourably by the UK courts. Totally within his mendacity, agreed. Also, point of style, EU27; aka. fog in the Channel, Europe cut off !
Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Why would it be in the EU's interest to agree to another extension?
Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:15 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why would it be in the EU's interest to agree to another extension?
Because they're decent, reasonable people who negotiate in good faith, backed by a healthy dose of self-interest? The overwhelming majority of EU spokespeople have said, consistently from the time it was first raised as a possibility, that it is not in the EU's interest for the UK to leave without a deal. They've also consistently said that there'd be less likelihood of another extension being granted unless there was a compelling reason, and that such compelling reasons might include a general election or another referendum. So there seems a strong possibility that - since so far, the EU has held a pretty consistent position and has kept to its word throughout the negotiations - an extension will be granted if sought.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:40 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea that Boris calls for a no confidence vote in the government and we see "curious scenes in which government MPs are ordered to vote against their own PM while the opposition backs him."
Old Sep 9th 2019, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Because they're decent, reasonable people who negotiate in good faith, backed by a healthy dose of self-interest? The overwhelming majority of EU spokespeople have said, consistently from the time it was first raised as a possibility, that it is not in the EU's interest for the UK to leave without a deal. They've also consistently said that there'd be less likelihood of another extension being granted unless there was a compelling reason, and that such compelling reasons might include a general election or another referendum. So there seems a strong possibility that - since so far, the EU has held a pretty consistent position and has kept to its word throughout the negotiations - an extension will be granted if sought.
I accept that they would do so if there was a compelling reason and I accept that they wish to keep receiving payments from the UK and access to the UK market tariff free for as long as possible but I don't know if that provides the compelling reason they have previously insisted upon.

In any event, as the UK Parliament does not appear to be able to agree upon what it actually wants (other than not wanting the agreement the EU has put forward) unless one party obtains a majority that will enable it to negotiate freely from its rebels (Con and Lab both appear to have such people amongst them) Lib and the SNP don't want to leave, is any delay really going to achieve anything at all?

I have to admit that I cannot see why an election on October 15, provided that date cannot be moved, will not give everyone exactly what they are asking for.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 9th 2019 at 3:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.