PM Boris

Old Dec 9th 2019, 3:50 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM Boris

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think he's stealing the phone, there's likely no intent to keep it, he's probably just hung over and confused. I wouldn't want him driving, or making decisions, but I don't see this as being malicious or criminal.
I don't think it's criminal but ......
I wonder why Matt Hancock (Health Secretary) has been sent to this same hospital this afternoon, damage limitation exercise maybe ?

Old Dec 9th 2019, 5:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
However I used to argue that everyone must vote who can, and those that don't have no right to moan or comment on the outcome.
I think that depends on a few factors. I could become a Canadian citizen and vote. But it would cost $630. That's a bit like having to buy a vote and that doesn't seem right. Then there are all the other complications like collecting up all the supporting information and documentation and other costs.
And there's a 12 month wait.

Why isn't being a PR of long standing; husband of Canadian; parent and provider of two Canadian kids in school; payer of Canadian taxes etc good enough?
...The electorate will get the government they deserve...
Never understood this either. How does the 60% of those voting for someone else deserve the one that only 40% vote for? The only vaguely logical answer is that tactical voting is the way to go but that means not voting for someone you want or voting against someone you actually do want and only applies to a few of the electorate anyway.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think that depends on a few factors. I could become a Canadian citizen and vote. But it would cost $630. That's a bit like having to buy a vote and that doesn't seem right. Then there are all the other complications like collecting up all the supporting information and documentation and other costs.
And there's a 12 month wait.
One assumes that this the cost of processing the application just as the parents of a child have to pay a fee to obtain a birth certificate. It's been decided by those clever people in the civil service!

Why isn't being a PR of long standing; husband of Canadian; parent and provider of two Canadian kids in school; payer of Canadian taxes etc good enough?
Because it isn't.

Never understood this either. How does the 60% of those voting for someone else deserve the one that only 40% vote for? The only vaguely logical answer is that tactical voting is the way to go but that means not voting for someone you want or voting against someone you actually do want and only applies to a few of the electorate anyway.
Because that is the way it works too. Maybe the electorate should vote for a party that campaigns on something akin to, "...the last election using first past the post..." because, if such a party got in, they would change it, wouldn't they?
Old Dec 9th 2019, 6:35 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I think that depends on a few factors. I could become a Canadian citizen and vote. But it would cost $630. That's a bit like having to buy a vote and that doesn't seem right.
I'm sorry but the $630 does a little more than provide you with a vote.

Never understood this either. How does the 60% of those voting for someone else deserve the one that only 40% vote for?
It's called democracy, the least worst form of government. It's a form of selection that, at least provides an acceptable basis for peaceful changes of government. In practicing this, those desiring power make a case to the public and quite often, this election may be a case in point, where simplistic arguments are made to break through the mush of conflicting commentary. Some claims will be true, many will be exaggerated and some downright untrue. It's up to the voter to choose what and in most cases who they believe.
If you make the case that a majority of disparate views who, for whatever reason, cannot organise themselves to defeat a block vote minority and this in some way invalidates a government by minority then as you suggest it's up to the majority to compromise their ideals to gain power. It's been clear over decades that minority parties cannot see beyond their petty individual ideals to promote compromise.

Old Dec 9th 2019, 6:43 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Makes one wonder why the UK deserved Johnson in the first place, elected only by +/- 180.000 Cons members.

And that's when people say one doesn't vote for the person but for the party, and yet these same people don't want to vote Labour because of Corbyn ...

confused.com

Old Dec 9th 2019, 8:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Johnson was faced by an ITV reporter who tried to ask him about the 4yr old who had to wait for 4 hours lying on coats on a hospital FLOOR for 4 hours yesterday, he blustered etc as usual, then asked the reporter if he could see the picture again, he took the phone and was studying the picture, then he pocketed the phone and went to walk away, the reporter had to ask for his phone back.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 8:39 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
Makes one wonder why the UK deserved Johnson in the first place, elected only by +/- 180.000 Cons members.
And that's when people say one doesn't vote for the person but for the party, and yet these same people don't want to vote Labour because of Corbyn ...
It's an inconvenient truth that Johnson's lifestyle doesn't apparently put people off. The fact that so few conservative members voted to elect him should, if his detractors are to be believed, add to his unsuitability for office.. but that may not be enough.
I strongly argue that both Labour and Lib Dems have made strategic mistakes in their positioning for this election fatally failing to recognise the importance of the need to get Brexit done and out of the way. This election isn't finished yet, like all elections where so few vote, it'll be down to how energised each side feels and like it or not it'll be Brexit, like the Duracell battery, that energises the Election Bunny most.
Personally I think the election is out there to be won. Exciting isn't it.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 8:53 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

It's an inconvenient truth that Johnson's lifestyle doesn't apparently put people off. The fact that so few conservative members voted to elect him should, if his detractors are to be believed, add to his unsuitability for office.. but that may not be enough.
I strongly argue that both Labour and Lib Dems have made strategic mistakes in their positioning for this election fatally failing to recognise the importance of the need to get Brexit done and out of the way. This election isn't finished yet, like all elections where so few vote, it'll be down to how energised each side feels and like it or not it'll be Brexit, like the Duracell battery, that energises the Election Bunny most.
Personally I think the election is out there to be won. Exciting isn't it.
Unpredictable, that's for sure. Not long now ....
Old Dec 9th 2019, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I'd like you to point me to the legislation in support of that, as I don't believe that that has ever been the case.
After doing some research I believe I am wrong however the Queens Regulations do specify what you cannot do regarding Political activity and between 1976 and 1984 I cannot recall being urged to vote or a polling station set up at any barracks especially those in the British Army On The Rhine bases unless they didn't consider us eligible to vote as members were not living in the UK. It appears there was an election in 1979 and 1983 and I do not recall anyone I was with actually voting.
Perhaps I should have filed a grievance.
Perhaps in those days most members of HM Forces didn't vote as their allegiance was to Liz and not some political party.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
After doing some research I believe I am wrong however the Queens Regulations do specify what you cannot do regarding Political activity and between 1976 and 1984 I cannot recall being urged to vote or a polling station set up at any barracks especially those in the British Army On The Rhine bases unless they didn't consider us eligible to vote as members were not living in the UK. It appears there was an election in 1979 and 1983 and I do not recall anyone I was with actually voting.
Perhaps I should have filed a grievance.
Perhaps in those days most members of HM Forces didn't vote as their allegiance was to Liz and not some political party.
But it's not HM who sends the boys off to fight, is it?
Old Dec 9th 2019, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
But it's not HM who sends the boys off to fight, is it?
No it isn't but it would be interesting to see if one of these days whoever is the Head Of State turn around and tell the PM " No bloody way you are sending our troops to X country"
Old Dec 9th 2019, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No it isn't but it would be interesting to see if one of these days whoever is the Head Of State turn around and tell the PM " No bloody way you are sending our troops to X country"
I agree, but it's about as likely as HM giving her public opinion on Brexit.

So I guess we'll be reading about it in the S*n.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 11:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One assumes that this the cost of processing the application just as the parents of a child have to pay a fee to obtain a birth certificate. It's been decided by those clever people in the civil service!
A little more complicated than that.
The processing fee was raised from $100 to $300 in February 2015 and again to $530 later that year, with an additional $100 right-of-citizenship fee
Fees went up and
The number of immigrants applying for citizenship has plunged by a whopping 50 per cent.
Because that is the way it works too.
Yes that's the way it works but whether that's the system or there's a different system, my question was why does the electorate deserve the government it gets, not why does it get the government it gets. You've answered a question I didn't ask.
I'm sorry but the $630 does a little more than provide you with a vote.
You're right, it does a little more. Very little more in my case, some more for other people, some less for others, perhaps but very little in my case. The biggest thing it does for me is enable a vote so my statement about it costing $630 for me to vote is perfectly correct.
It's called democracy, the least worst form of government.
As above again, yes it's democracy it's the system. But that does not mean the electorate deserves the government it gets. It gets the government the system produces. That is not the same as deserving the government it gets.

Old Dec 9th 2019, 11:18 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Annetje

confused.com

So going by the previous posts, the Conservatives (members and supporters) got the leader they deserved. After all it is the system used so they deserved it, every one of them, and if they don't like the system they should change it and if they don't change it they deserve what they got.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 11:37 pm
Listen to the Music

if they don't like the system they should change it and if they don't change it they deserve what they got.
Absolutely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.