PM Boris

Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM Boris

Originally Posted by dave_j
I keep hammering the same nail into the EU coffin, but many posters still don't get it.
There was a referendum and people, normal people, voted to leave.
Some people voted to leave. For change. 37% voted for change, 63% didn't vote for change.
Some people. Not "the" people. Not the country. Not the nation. Just over a third. Some people. Some people outnumbered by almost 2-1.
It had nothing to do with manufacturing standards, visas, the pound etc but everything to do with whether they felt the EU and politics in general was doing anything to make their life better.
Except that when asked why they voted for Brexit the reasons stated were a variety of the "etc" you didn't mention (together with some things that were not EU related and some things that could have been achieved while maintaining the EU status quo) and some things that were only partly EU related and did not require a no-deal Brexit.

All of those 37% did not vote for the complete cut-off, no-deal, anymore than those voting to remain were 100% happy with staying and no changes.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 30th 2019 at 6:37 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Making logical arguments for staying, eg things will get worse, will make little impact...
Just think about that for a few seconds.

This is a bit like some undiscovered Island tribe sacrificing a virgin to some malevolent god and just standing by watching.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:55 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just think about that for a few seconds. This is a bit like some undiscovered Island tribe sacrificing a virgin to some malevolent god and just standing by watching.
Absolutely, but it has happened. Some groups did engage in sacrifice. It isn't logical to us but these groups allowed it to happen and to them it made sense. Applying our values ensure that we can never understand their reasoning.. you have to think like them.
To understand the leave vote you must try to understand their mindset, their values are not the same as yours.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:58 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Since 2016 a lot has changed, especially demographically. Pretending that 52% of the current population still want Brexit is also burying your head in the sand.
You may be right, we'll see won't we.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, but it has happened. Some groups did engage in sacrifice. It isn't logical to us but these groups allowed it to happen and to them it made sense. Applying our values ensure that we can never understand their reasoning.. you have to think like them.
To understand the leave vote you must try to understand their mindset, their values are not the same as yours.
Cultural relativism - no thank you.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Since 2016 a lot has changed, especially demographically. Pretending that 52% of the current population still want Brexit is also burying your head in the sand.
I mildly object to the idea that I've been burying my head in the sand. I thought Brexit was just what the locals here call a "hissy fit". I've asked repeatedly if there was a rational argument for it, just in case I missed it. All we've had is fishing rights and kicking out the foreigners.

The whole thing reminds me of a daughter, then teenaged, tearing up her Platinum card and throwing it at me. She now lives in Afghanistan. I can only wish the same outcome for Johnson, Cummings and Farage.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 7:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are you talking about states and provinces being able to restrict citizens of the country/PRs from being able to move around within the country or non citizens/PRs being able to live and work there?
Citizens, as that's the parallel with the EU.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I mildly object to the idea that I've been burying my head in the sand. I thought Brexit was just what the locals here call a "hissy fit". I've asked repeatedly if there was a rational argument for it, just in case I missed it. All we've had is fishing rights and kicking out the foreigners.

The whole thing reminds me of a daughter, then teenaged, tearing up her Platinum card and throwing it at me. She now lives in Afghanistan. I can only wish the same outcome for Johnson, Cummings and Farage.
And the fact that the whole EU is increasingly heading towards a United States of Europe concept, which a lot of people don't want, as it would never work.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Citizens, as that's the parallel with the EU.
No it isn't. One is a country, one is a collection of countries.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 7:51 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

My neighbour, who voted Brexit because he didn't like the fact that a Portugese food shop opened up on the site of an old "proper English" jewellery (tat) shop, is now, mercifully, dead. Hopefully one of million since 2016.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:02 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
No it isn't. One is a country, one is a collection of countries.
I see. Wouldn't it be good if the "collection of countries" could agree some kind of mechanism, an international treaty perhaps, that afforded them the efficiencies of the one big country. I know it's nice to keep one's head in the 1970's, but wouldn't a bit of geopolitical evolution be a good thing? Do you think there might be some synergies to be had?
Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:04 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
And the fact that the whole EU is increasingly heading towards a United States of Europe concept, which a lot of people don't want, as it would never work.
Paul, you are so out of touch and out of date on modern Europe that it is embarassing. It is working. A lot of people do want it.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:05 pm
Oscar nominated

...Applying our values ensure that we can never understand their reasoning.. ...
I think the issue is that some - enough to make a difference - don't actually have any reasoning. Or they are factoring in some incorrect data.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:07 pm
Yo

We've been enjoy this video on another thread. One of the fine Brexit folk giving some solid reasons for getting OUT.

Old Sep 30th 2019, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I see. Wouldn't it be good if the "collection of countries" could agree some kind of mechanism, an international treaty perhaps, that afforded them the efficiencies of the one big country. I know it's nice to keep one's head in the 1970's, but wouldn't a bit of geopolitical evolution be a good thing? Do you think there might be some synergies to be had?
I respectfully suggest you go back and read what I have actually said, rather than what you think I have said. I have constantly stated that, had I voted, I would have voted to remain.

Please argue against my arguments and leave the personal attacks in your head where they belong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.