PM Boris

Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM Boris

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee

It's hard to encourage people to vote on cold, emotionless facts, and when most of the popular media is on the opposition's side. Leave had an advantage of having had the near-constant drip-drip of anti-EU stories for at least 20 yrs, creating fear and division, and the EU referendum gave readers of those publications an outlet for their voices.
This.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
True, that may be a difficult position to take, but the degree to which Brexit allows the UK to "take back conrtol" of immigration (and absolutely, the degree to which that is actually a desirable outcome) is certainly questionable. Much easier, though, to point out the fact that there were (indeed, until Brexit, there still are) already very many tools in the EU toolbox (such as requiring registration, requiring proof of gainful employment within a certain period, etc etc) for EU migrants that the UK chose not to implement. Those tools would have provided significantly greater control over immigration within the context of the EU.
I can't argue with that!
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

2. The UK's demand for cheap labour means that there will still be loads of impoverished immigrants, perhaps more Chinese and Indians, perhaps America's rejects, just from different countries. I don't think the average Britain particularly hates his or her house being burgled by Europeans, they just don't want their houses burgled, so it's out-of-the-frying-pan.
That's the irony of the anti-FOM position. It's a case of be careful what you wish for...
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:51 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
True, that may be a difficult position to take, but the degree to which Brexit allows the UK to "take back conrtol" of immigration (and absolutely, the degree to which that is actually a desirable outcome) is certainly questionable. Much easier, though, to point out the fact that there were (indeed, until Brexit, there still are) already very many tools in the EU toolbox (such as requiring registration, requiring proof of gainful employment within a certain period, etc etc) for EU migrants that the UK chose not to implement. Those tools would have provided significantly greater control over immigration within the context of the EU.
This 'many tools' point was made during the first referendum, but very few Leavers wanted to listen or understand. Just so much easier to start yapping about "an Australian style points system" and disregarding the fact that non-EU immigration was never controlled either. Many Leavers were/are simply emotionally hijacked by the Brexit media and Brexit parties and not interested in rational discussion.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

1. The UK could have restricted immigration from within the EU while staying in; there's no requirement that any EU citizen be allowed to live anywhere.
While correct, as you well know, the ability to limit the residence is nowhere near as expansive as it will be when outside of the EU.

2. The UK's demand for cheap labour means that there will still be loads of impoverished immigrants, perhaps more Chinese and Indians, perhaps America's rejects, just from different countries. I don't think the average Britain particularly hates his or her house being burgled by Europeans, they just don't want their houses burgled, so it's out-of-the-frying-pan.
True, but Polish plumbers cannot come to Canada and undercut the local workforce as they can throughout the EU. That is not an issue if you want to have your plumbing done cheaply, but is if you are a plumber that loses your livelihood, or has your income reduced, as a result.

Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
It's hard to encourage people to vote on cold, emotionless facts, and when most of the popular media is on the opposition's side. Leave had an advantage of having had the near-constant drip-drip of anti-EU stories for at least 20 yrs, creating fear and division, and the EU referendum gave readers of those publications an outlet for their voices.

Yes, Remain could have done better. Any suggestions on what they could/should have done?
I had left almost a decade before the vote so I don't know what arguments, for or against, were put forward but, if the electorate were not persuaded on the arguments, or couldn't be bothered to vote, history shows what can happen.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I had left almost a decade before the vote so I don't know what arguments, for or against, were put forward but, if the electorate were not persuaded on the arguments, or couldn't be bothered to vote, history shows what can happen.
One needn't consider the electorate as a whole.... the informed on either side will vote according to their considered opinions. It's only the uninformed that you need to win over... to put it crudely, Sun readers, Mail readers, Mirror readers. And emotion trumps over fact with that lot.

Cummings is clearly driving Johnson to appeal to the emotive not the cerebral, I can promise you that my Facebook feed is testament to the success of that strategy. But hopefully in the final event, cerebral will win over emotion.

What fascinating times we live in. And all the while utterly ignoring the very real climate catastrophe that awaits our grandchildren.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well....I think if the EU had remained as it was initially intended....a simple trading block/agreement between member countries,
The EU is what was originally intended, trading agreements were just a stepping stone.

From the Schumann Declaration, 1950 -

this proposal will lead to the realization of the first concrete foundation of a European federation indispensable to the preservation of peace.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:15 pm
Yo

True, but Polish plumbers cannot come to Canada and undercut the local workforce as they can throughout the EU. That is not an issue if you want to have your plumbing done cheaply, but is if you are a plumber that loses your livelihood, or has your income reduced, as a result.
Because expensive plumbing is the mark of a civilised society right? I had an English plumber come by last month, you have no need to worry about his paycheck !
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:33 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Because expensive plumbing is the mark of a civilised society right? I had an English plumber come by last month, you have no need to worry about his paycheck !
Polish plumbers cannot legally undercut British plumbers, unless British customers are happy to break the law. And if an electorate is willing to break the law so readily, we may as well all move to Italy.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
One needn't consider the electorate as a whole.... the informed on either side will vote according to their considered opinions. It's only the uninformed that you need to win over... to put it crudely, Sun readers, Mail readers, Mirror readers. And emotion trumps over fact with that lot.

Cummings is clearly driving Johnson to appeal to the emotive not the cerebral, I can promise you that my Facebook feed is testament to the success of that strategy. But hopefully in the final event, cerebral will win over emotion.

What fascinating times we live in. And all the while utterly ignoring the very real climate catastrophe that awaits our grandchildren.
Oh, I see. The argument that those that don't agree with you are "uninformed."

I would have voted to remain, but I wouldn't attempt to argue that those that disagreed with me were uninformed. They simply have different priorities. None of which are any less valid than mine.

Many of my relatives live in Cornwall. Post 1992, they had nothing good to say about the EU. Many of my other relatives live in Ireland and, for them, the EU is a wonderful thing. Each equally valid and to dismiss one over the other simply because of how their lives, or yours, is affected is, sorry, bullshit.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Polish plumbers cannot legally undercut British plumbers, unless British customers are happy to break the law. And if an electorate is willing to break the law so readily, we may as well all move to Italy.
EH? Has the UK changed that much since I left in 2007? If I ask a plumber for a quote to fix something, are his/her fees mandated by legislation?

I appreciate that an employer may not be able to pay their employers differently based upon nationality but, whether the employer gets the work in the first place is simple economics, is it not?
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Oh, I see. The argument that those that don't agree with you are "uninformed."

I would have voted to remain, but I wouldn't attempt to argue that those that disagreed with me were uninformed. They simply have different priorities. None of which are any less valid than mine.

Many of my relatives live in Cornwall. Post 1992, they had nothing good to say about the EU. Many of my other relatives live in Ireland and, for them, the EU is a wonderful thing. Each equally valid and to dismiss one over the other simply because of how their lives, or yours, is affected is, sorry, bullshit.
Of course they were uninformed. Even today, 3 and a half years later, they're still uninformed. Why did the government have to be legally forced to reveal certain documents like Operation Yellowhammer?

I'm not saying they were stupid or racist, but - uninformed as to what Brexit entails - absolutely yes. Then and now.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Those who weren't persuaded by the arguments in favour of Leaving, and those who didn't vote for whatever reason, could have been assumed to have either been in favour of the status quo (Remain) or just didn't care enough to change it (discounting those Leavers who didn't receive ballot papers in time).
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course they were uninformed. Even today, 3 and a half years later, they're still uninformed. Why did the government have to be legally forced to reveal certain documents like Operation Yellowhammer?

I'm not saying they were stupid or racist, but - uninformed as to what Brexit entails - absolutely yes. Then and now.
My apologies. I have just re-read what you wrote and I am the stupid one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.