PM Boris

Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM Boris

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Just compare the way the UK's politicians have handled this, with the way the EU's politician's have. I am confident that, behind the scenes, main EU leaders would be willing to deal with the Irish border issue but, publicly, they are standing firm with Ireland. The EU has not incentive to move from its current position if it believes that the UK will never actually allow Brexit to occur but will simply delay the matter indefinitely.
Other than putting a border in the Irish Sea (reasonable) I don't know what else Ireland/EU could do. They've had a couple of years of non-public talks, and what they've come up with is in the WA.

Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Trade is conducted all over the world and it works well. Clearly, trade between the UK and the EU post Brexit will be different than it is now but, eventually, a trade agreement will be achieved and life will return to normal, insofar as trade is concerned. However, the "will they, won't they" current situation will be massively affecting the decisions that businesses involved with UK/EU trade will have to make, which is not good for any of them. Once the position is know, they can deal with it but the ending delay upon delay helps no one.
Yes, the current uncertainty helps no one. May wasted a lot of time.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Which is the more likely then, that you are mistaken about nothing having changed or that Boris is misleading everyone when he says he's made substantial progress.
I have no idea about what has, or has not, been discussed behind closed doors and I would have thought that that was obvious.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I intended "ordinary people" to mean people who won't make fortunes shorting the pound so just about everyone except, perhaps, Jacob Rees Mogg and Joe Lewis. I suppose de-nationalized healthcare would be financially beneficial to some doctors who are not, themselves, in need of healthcare. There would be a few winners. As far as I can see though most leavers consciously choose to vote against their interests. I wonder what they think is it in for them. If it's just "kicking out the French" (or whichever nationality is out of fashion today) then there's no need to leave to do that. If it's a desire for un-iced kippers, again that could be achieved within the EU.
I am with you there too.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, the current uncertainty helps no one. May wasted a lot of time.
I believe that May's biggest mistake was calling an election. Had she not done that, I believe the WA would already be a done deal and everyone would now be arguing about what should go into the final deal.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:42 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Hmmm... Well you've chosen a slice of the UK electorate that's not doing too badly to start with.
I refer you to https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...s-better-value
It's clear that in the UK the average Costco customer probably visualises a downside to leaving the EU but I suspect that even a Costco customer would see benefits as the tariffs imposed by the EU will result in lower food prices.
'Ahh' I hear you say 'But he won't be able to afford even the cheaper prices because he'll have lost his job in the crash and won't be able to afford it'.
Well, if that ever came to pass, he'll join the dole queue with those voters who voted Leave then who saw no benefit to being to being in the EU in the first place and still want to leave. It'll be these ignored and forgotten voters who'll dictate, in the end, whether the UK leaves or not, when they get given the chance.
Eh? How do you work that one out? Import tariffs (paid by the UK importer, by the way, not by the foreign exporter) will certainly be passed through to the UK retail price of the goods for sale. That will result, clearly, in higher food prices for any imported foods. The UK has not been self-sufficient in food production for years: here's an article from the NFU in 2014 (so five years old now, but removed from any possible Brexit bias in either direction) bemoaning the continuing decline year-over-year since 1991 in Britain's self-sufficiency, which now sits somewhere around 60%. https://www.nfuonline.com/self-suffi...h-plan-needed/
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea about what has, or has not, been discussed behind closed doors and I would have thought that that was obvious.
But presumably you are aware that Boris claimed substantial progress in talks when multiple sources involved in the same discussions have said nothing of the sort. After all, you did say yourself that nothing has changed
Old Sep 6th 2019, 1:57 pm
Yo

But presumably you are aware that Boris claimed substantial progress in talks when multiple sources involved in the same discussions have said nothing of the sort. After all, you did say yourself that nothing has changed
I think BoJo's plan is to run down the click with EU, then present a 'take it or leave it' proposal. He's not bothered either way, if they were to take, he claims a success, if they don't, he claims he tried and was thwarted, and thereby justifies Brexit. I genuinely believe he has no preference either way, which can be a stance (if you subscribe to the view that the outcome is neutral and/or the referendum must be implemented). It's just fortune that there are deeper thinkers than he in the HOC.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I believe you are seeking an argument purely for an argument's sake. From what has been released to the public, nothing has changed. I have no idea what has been happening behind closed doors.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can't disagree with any of the comments made here:

Old Sep 6th 2019, 2:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you are seeking an argument purely for an argument's sake. .
Not at all. You, not unreasonably, stated nothing had changed. I just wondered if you had a view on the UK Prime Minister claiming things had.

Apparently you don't.

Old Sep 6th 2019, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Eh? How do you work that one out? Import tariffs (paid by the UK importer, by the way, not by the foreign exporter) will certainly be passed through to the UK retail price of the goods for sale. That will result, clearly, in higher food prices for any imported foods. The UK has not been self-sufficient in food production for years: here's an article from the NFU in 2014 (so five years old now, but removed from any possible Brexit bias in either direction) bemoaning the continuing decline year-over-year since 1991 in Britain's self-sufficiency, which now sits somewhere around 60%. https://www.nfuonline.com/self-suffi...h-plan-needed/
Given the huge increase in immigration over the last 25 years a decline in food self sufficiency shouldn’t come as a great surprise to anyone.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not exactly. In EU Britain is one of top three states and has a primary role in influencing decisions; as one of many US partners Britain will be doing as it is told.
UK seems to be in the loosing minority far more than anyone else

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ropean-council
Old Sep 6th 2019, 3:35 pm
Yo

I can't disagree with any of the comments made here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vha59srSks
Oh gawd AC, don't watch morons like that guy. A couple of nutjobs on another thread post his videos, he has a really warped opinion.

Which UK media do you read (if any)?
Old Sep 6th 2019, 3:42 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by jimf

UK seems to be in the loosing minority far more than anyone else

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ropean-council
Interesting stats, but as the caveats at the end point out, the UK is on the majority side 87% of the time. In any case, whatever the limits of EU influence are now pale into comparison when compared to third country status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.