Plan of sorts

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plan of sorts

I would love to not invest much into applying, but the companies make you invest some sizable time on their personality tests, which of course is likely one hurdle, not sure I even get past that part.

I may not be able to do 10,000, not even sure I could find that many jobs out here in a year to even apply for, but could certainly try for a lower number, and will have to sit and think a bit about what a realistic number would be.

Originally Posted by Shard
Could you make it a "numbers game"? Set a super high target, like 10,000 and then apply quickly without emotionally investing much (or anything) into the application process, and then be pleasantly surprised if someone comes back to you. It's a good idea not to attach your esteem to the process. Assume every application will end in rejection, but value the fact that you have sent another one off. Just an idea.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 6:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So the plan tentatively is for me to go next Spring or fall to California and attend school, short term training program that will hopefully lead to a job.

As I attended HS in California for 4 years and graduated from a HS in California, I would be eligible for resident tuition, so would be able to attend school straight away.

Once completed and working, would then sponsor my wife and do the immigration stuff.

Long term we have decided to be in the US, and we will have a far larger variety of places and climates to choose from as well.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 6:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So the plan tentatively is for me to go next Spring or fall to California and attend school, short term training program that will hopefully lead to a job.

As I attended HS in California for 4 years and graduated from a HS in California, I would be eligible for resident tuition, so would be able to attend school straight away.

Once completed and working, would then sponsor my wife and do the immigration stuff.

Long term we have decided to be in the US, and we will have a far larger variety of places and climates to choose from as well.
That sounds very promising JS. What will you be studying?
Old Sep 28th 2016, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That sounds very promising JS. What will you be studying?
Phlebotomy tech, the folks who draw blood.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 8:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. Good luck with the course. It's interesting work I would think. Hopefully there's a lot of jobs oit there for you.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been to hospital and a nurse drew my blood...she was gentle. If I knew she was a phlebotomist I would have been impressed.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Excellent. Good luck with the course. It's interesting work I would think. Hopefully there's a lot of jobs oit there for you.
Looking around on various lab and hospital websites in the areas of consideration, and other job sites, there seems to be a fair amount of jobs advertised.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 10:24 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Davita
I've just been to hospital and a nurse drew my blood...she was gentle. If I knew she was a phlebotomist I would have been impressed.
Not sure about Canada but I learned to draw blood in nursing school here in Australia.
Old Sep 28th 2016, 1:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'll send you my stepson. That'll be a challenge for you. He has a major phobia when it comes to needles.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'll send you my stepson. That'll be a challenge for you. He has a major phobia when it comes to needles.
Add me in on that. Despite Dad working in hospitals i'm terrified of the places, particularly IVs and needles.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:01 am
Account Closed

I have had so much blood taken and IV's given in the last 4 years, any phobia I had of needles is long gone now...One blood taker in Squamish she was so good at it, I could never even feel the needle go in, near painless.

Now I did learn Doctors may not be the best person to take blood, holy mother the one time a doctor did it, was it ever painful.

Nurses are usually skilled, if they can't get the IV in by the 3rd time, I ask for another nurse rather then bring pricked over and over.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:25 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

When first I started work, the blood bank people would come around on a Friday to fill their quota. Us juniors would all schedule our appointments for late afternoon and then bugger off and for an unfathomable reason, go to the Bennigan's in Tysons Corner for a quick and cheap piss up.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 5th 2016 at 12:33 am.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

MrBEVS and I would use a trained Phlebotomist over a doctor or nurse any day. They are given the knack of getting blood from a stone .

I must say I am really very chuffed for you both. Although I do realise it's early days in the planning it seems like a quality plan to me.

Well done the pair of you.

edit....

Y'know Phlebotomist is in immediate shortage here in NZ. In theory you could emigrate here if you had a job offer.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 5th 2016 at 12:29 am.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:29 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about Canada but I learned to draw blood in nursing school here in Australia.
It's a standard nursing skill. As a radiographer I never took blood but I did place IVs and inject.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 1:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
MrBEVS and I would use a trained Phlebotomist over a doctor or nurse any day. They are given the knack of getting blood from a stone ...
But like everything there are exceptions.

My stepson just won't take a needle. He is completely unable to look the other way. And he pulls his arm away.

My wife's immune system was never what it should be and one of her treatments made it worse - although the advantages outweighed that.

All our family flu shots were recommended and paid for specifically because of this. He would agree to come with us to get his.

But that's all that would happen. It couldn't be done.

There was one time, when he was still at school, he really needed a blood test. I went to the hospital with him and explained his phobia. The phlebotomist didn't take it seriously. She quickly gave up.

We returned the next day for another go. There was an older woman. Been there, seen it, done it. She coaxed him. I don't know how but she did it and then he fainted.

She was calmness personified.

I must have been to that clinic at least 30 times since and she's not been there. The Phantom Phlebotomist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.