Piers Morgan on guns

Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Piers Morgan on guns

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why does a civilian require a multi shot automatic weapon?

In Canada, a magazine of 5 is the maximum permitted. What is wrong with that?
There are some loopholes that allow the use of 10 shot mags.
Automatic weapons are banned in Canada,instead we have multi shot semi-automatic,bolt action,lever action,and pump action rifles.
A semi-auto with a 1 shot mag would be pretty much pointless.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention grenades.

Originally Posted by scootb
There are some loopholes that allow the use of 10 shot mags.
Automatic weapons are banned in Canada,instead we have multi shot semi-automatic,bolt action,lever action,and pump action rifles.
A semi-auto with a 1 shot mag would be pretty much pointless.
I have no idea what those things are. Gun language is a mystery to me.

But why does a civilian need several guns of different types? Why the ability to fire off a bullet every second?

Why the grenades and other explosives that these lunatics also have when they create mayhem?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not to mention grenades.

I have no idea what those things are. Gun language is a mystery to me.

But why does a civilian need several guns of different types? Why the ability to fire off a bullet every second?

Why the grenades and other explosives that these lunatics also have when they create mayhem?
A mixture of paranoia and ego.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada, a magazine of 5 is the maximum permitted. What is wrong with that?
They don't require it but surely in a free society one can choose to have such gun.

Because it is an unnecessary restriction.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
A mixture of paranoia and ego.
age or a piano

Old Oct 15th 2013, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

BenBuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Because there are different disciplines of shooting. I enjoy clay (trap) shooting, which requires a shotgun, as well as target shooting and hunting, which requires a rifle.

I do not agree that civilians have the need for fully automatic weapons. I do agree that civilians should have the right to defend themselves using their licensed weapons if the need arises.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:12 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenBuzz
I do agree that civilians should have the right to defend themselves using their licensed weapons if the need arises.
Everyone agrees to that.

The issue on gun control is how to reduce crime and accidental deaths. Clay pigeon shooting, target practice, and even hunting is a non-issue.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They don't require it but surely in a free society one can choose to have such gun.

Because it is an unnecessary restriction.
Is this an argument that there should be no restrictions on anyone? If it is, I completely disagree with you.

If one wishes to argue that a semi-automatic/automatic weapon is required for either personal safety or hunting, why is a magazine of more than 5 necessary? If one is a poor enough shot that 5 won't kill one's assailant, one shouldn't be permitted to have one; ditto for wishing to kill animals.

In light of the above, I fail to see how one can reasonably argue that it is an unnecessary restriction. Please explain why it is.

They are only useful in the military to cut down on the necessity to reload.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone agrees to that.
Isn't that the essential difference between the US and Canada? In either country anyone who wants to have a firearm can do so, in the US it can be for self defense whereas, in Canada, you have to say it's for target practise or hunting or some such; it's not lawful to acquire a gun to shoot burglars.

The issue on gun control is how to reduce crime and accidental deaths. Clay pigeon shooting, target practice, and even hunting is a non-issue.
I don't think these are non-issues. The purpose of the gun is to kill animals or people, if you don't want animals or people to be killed then don't allow the guns.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:32 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
Isn't that the essential difference between the US and Canada? In either country anyone who wants to have a firearm can do so, in the US it can be for self defense whereas, in Canada, you have to say it's for target practise or hunting or some such; it's not lawful to acquire a gun to shoot burglars.

I don't think these are non-issues. The purpose of the gun is to kill animals or people, if you don't want animals or people to be killed then don't allow the guns.
I didn't know that (burglars). I think if one has a gun and is under threat, it should be allowed.

The original purpose of a gun may have been to kill, but gun owners have a valid argument in saying they want to use their guns to shoot inanimate objects (for sport). Nevertheless, given the potential for misuse (amply demonstrated in the US and Mexico) I would have no trouble in restricting gun use for the greater good of society. Britain has it right on this issue.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Is this an argument that there should be no restrictions on anyone? If it is, I completely disagree with you.

If one wishes to argue that a semi-automatic/automatic weapon is required for either personal safety or hunting, why is a magazine of more than 5 necessary? If one is a poor enough shot that 5 won't kill one's assailant, one shouldn't be permitted to have one; ditto for wishing to kill animals.

In light of the above, I fail to see how one can reasonably argue that it is an unnecessary restriction. Please explain why it is.

They are only useful in the military to cut down on the necessity to reload.

I'm a reasonable and responsible citizen with no criminal record and as an enthusiast/collector and I should be able to own any gun with whatever size magazine I choose. I have no problem with there being restrictions on how I use a gun and even how it is transported but I think it is an infringement of my freedom to regulate what I use.

And a five round clip? Would you keep that gun in your purse?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The original purpose of a gun may have been to kill, but gun owners have a valid argument in saying they want to use their guns to shoot inanimate objects (for sport).
Guns kept at ranges might reasonably be claimed to be intended for use against inanimate objects, once the weapon is taken away the claim is implausible.

Nevertheless, given the potential for misuse (amply demonstrated in the US and Mexico) I would have no trouble in restricting gun use for the greater good of society. Britain has it right on this issue.
The supposition that guns are used differently in the US and Mexico then they are in Canada is one I find mystifying. People carry guns, they shoot each other or they shoot animals, that's what the guns are for. We may as well say that tractors or garden spades are used differently in different jurisdictions.

The case for having a device intended to kill should hinge on the possibilty of a deadly threat to one's person, if the device is claimed to be needed at home then the threat should exist at home; that's credible if one lives in the tundra amid the polar bears, or in Rexdale, amid the immigrant population. It's not credible to claim the need for a gun in most of Canada; people want them because they like to kill things, whether they're killing people or animals it is, at least, distasteful.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 3:06 pm

Guns kept at ranges might reasonably be claimed to be intended for use against inanimate objects, once the weapon is taken away the claim is implausible.

The supposition that guns are used differently in the US and Mexico then they are in Canada is one I find mystifying. People carry guns, they shoot each other or they shoot animals, that's what the guns are for. We may as well say that tractors or garden spades are used differently in different jurisdictions.

The case for having a device intended to kill should hinge on the possibilty of a deadly threat to one's person, if the device is claimed to be needed at home then the threat should exist at home; that's credible if one lives in the tundra amid the polar bears, or in Rexdale, amid the immigrant population. It's not credible to claim the need for a gun in most of Canada; people want them because they like to kill things, whether they're killing people or animals it is, at least, distasteful.
If someone gave me a rifle, even a rapid fire one with a large capacity magazine, I believe I should be able bring it into Canada without them getting all menstrual about it, and I should be able to take it to a range or out in a quarry or some place and blast away for fun. As long as its properly stored at home and transported unloaded and not within immediate reach, I don't see a problem.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 3:07 pm
Yo

They are certainly misused in Canada too. I suppose I was referring to the scale of misuse. In any case, I think we are broadly in agreement, even on Rexdale
Old Oct 15th 2013, 3:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
If someone gave me a rifle, even a rapid fire one with a large capacity magazine, I believe I should be able bring it into Canada without them getting all menstrual about it, and I should be able to take it to a range or out in a quarry or some place and blast away for fun. As long as its properly stored at home and transported unloaded and not within immediate reach, I don't see a problem.
I do do all of that. If one fails to blast away at London Pride cans, one lessens one's chances of being able to bring down the rampant bear or passing fast food seeker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.