PAT Dogs

Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute
Default PAT Dogs

I've got an application form which i'll be sending off next week to hopefully make Lulu a 'Pets As Therapy' Dog (PAT Dog).

For those of you who don't know, a PAT dog visits hospitals, hospices, day centres, special schools, residential home & other such places.

http://www.petsastherapy.org/

I'm lucky that I can spare a couple of hours each week do visits with Lulu. She loves people & my job already takes me into these type of places so I thought it would be a good thing for the two of us to do.

Got me a wondering, are there any PAT owners in the UK on this forum - if so i'd love to hear your experiences.

Also, does anyone know if they have a similar type of service available in Canada, i'd be interested to know if they do.

Thanks in advance,

Arris

Last edited by Arris; Mar 29th 2008 at 10:03 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:49 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAT Dogs

Oh there was a thingy at the Home Show on PAT dogs! They were in the same booth as the SPCA and St Johns Ambulance people.

I am going to get Henry tested. BUT I am going to wait until he is a little older. He loves meeting people (a bit of an oddball chow) and people ALWAYS smile and want to meet Henry because he is such a fluffball (and no one around here knows that chows are supposed to be viscous and they only think chows come in orange so they don't think he's a chow). But seeing as he is not yet 2 I don't think he is mature enough to not get over excited, so we are going to work a little more on him ignoring other doggies and listening to Mum a bit more before we get tested, i'd rather wait a bit than get turned down.

Let us know how you get on and what the test is like. Really interested in other peoples experiences too.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:34 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

This might be of interest......."Therapy Dogs International".

http://www.tdi-dog.org/

Also, for Canada specifically: http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/do...rk_therapy.htm

and http://www.tpoc.ca/

There are also provincial organisations, but you can google them for yourselves!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 30th 2008 at 5:38 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:16 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arris
Also, does anyone know if they have a similar type of service available in Canada, i'd be interested to know if they do.
Hiya Arris,

I use to volunteer for this org: http://members.shaw.ca/patspets/home.html (This is in Victoria.) I was on the pet loss line and not involved with the pet therapy stuff but was obviously aware of it. Both the organization and the services have expanded a lot over the years - they have a llama now!

Also - this might lead you to more info:
http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/do...rk_therapy.htm

Great idea!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:28 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Hiya Arris,

Also - this might lead you to more info:
http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/do...rk_therapy.htm

Great idea!
Ahem .... see post #3!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:26 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Ahem .... see post #3!

My BE posting guide dog doesn't work on Sundays.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Peas & Morwenna,

Thanks for the links that you both gave me, just the sort of thing I was after - I could have found them myself thinking about it

Piff Poff,

Lulu was one year old just a couple of weeks ago, i'm going to book her in for her to have an assessment - see if she walks on lead without excessive pulling (been working on that), tempermant, doesn't mind being handled, rection to a sudden loud noise that sort of thing - i'll let you know how it goes.

If Lu likes it (& i'm pretty sure she will if she passes the assessment - she loves people) I would like to think we could both continue in Canada once we're over, a good way of us getting out & meeting people & letting people enjoy seeing & fussing a dog.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Well I Hope Lulu's assessment goes well. I think it's rewarding for the dogs too. I know Henry gets really excited when we take him somewhere new or even just off to petland or something. I also know that so many people in hospital or care homes miss their own pets, so it's rewarding for them too and gives them something to look forward to. Good Luck Lulu be a good girl on assesment day!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Co-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud of

Funnily enough I picked up the forms at Crufts this year, I am having a Border Terrier and a Dobermann tested, good luck to us all!! It is very rewarding and the dogs do enjoy it so much......just have to watch their waist lines...lots of treats!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:04 pm

I'm sure you can find some low fat yummies for them! Good luck for the test!
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thought i'd give you an update

Lulu & I had our assessment today & it went really well i'm pleased to say - we were there for 2 hours, the lady doing the the assessment was a very chatty lady

She's not allowed to say if Lu passed or not but the form she filled out that I have to post off with my application all sounds & looks good & the lady did say that once she'd heard back from head office she'd be in touch to see about us getting started - so I guess it's safe to say that unofficially, Lu has passed as a PAT dog

A happy Arris & Lu
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Co-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud of

Well done both of you. With all the mess we are in right now (house being completely redone.....us living in a caravan for the duration) I have not gotten around to getting my two tested, so we shall bask in your reflected glory until then

Yay....way to go.