Wikiposts

Paris Attacks

Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:10 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paris Attacks

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The sad thing is that the vast majority of those Syrian refugees are trying to escape this kind of shit. And now this will be used against them.
My thoughts exactly...
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:10 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

First of all I'd like to express my sympathy for those killed and injured in the Paris attacks.
This forum doesn't allow an in-depth discussion on the origins of the attacks because there apparently aren't enough posters who are familiar with the issues involved.
However we can view and comment on the events.
Knee-jerk reactions are common and understandable and there have been posts that I consider inappropriate.
What I will say is that when you quite rightly express disgust at the indiscriminate slaughter in Paris, spare a thought for the equally innocent victims resulting from the several invasions and the ongoing involvement of coalition forces in the middle east as a whole.

Last edited by dave_j; Nov 14th 2015 at 5:13 am.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:12 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I feel the problem in dealing with these people is that we're not prepared to be as totally ruthless as they are, and dispose with our humanity and just ignore the collateral damage and drop a few hundred fuel-air bombs where IS/ISIS/Nutters are known to originate from (Syria / Iraq?). Probably just make the ones you don't get more relentless and ups the ante in their response.
The last 100 years of the West meddling in, invading, occupying and bombing the Middle East has not exactly been a roaring success. I can't imagine doing more of the same being any different.

The source of ISIS is in the Gulf States and Saudi. Syria/Iraq is just the current battle ground.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the solution is to bring 35000 Syrian refugees to Canada. Which aren't going to be vetted properly, because of the Liberals' election promise of '25000 by Christmas'. It must be so because we all voted for it.

And if this won't keep us safe, at least the Canadian economy will benefit from the refugees' tremendous skills and wealth... After all, we all know Syria is an economic powerhouse and global knowledge centre.

Erm, confused now. I think I'll just have to re-read the article where Trudeau intends to make the economic case at the G20 for taking in Syrian refugees.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:40 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Coincidence that the news this scumbag was taken out and then the attacks in Paris?

I feel the problem in dealing with these people is that we're not prepared to be as totally ruthless as they are, and dispose with our humanity and just ignore the collateral damage and drop a few hundred fuel-air bombs where IS/ISIS/Nutters are known to originate from (Syria / Iraq?). Probably just make the ones you don't get more relentless and ups the ante in their response.
No, you can't do that. It's an ideological battle, and it won't subside until the religion is watered down to something akin to the CofE.

There was a feature on Jihadi-John on C4 news last night (a couple of hours before the Paris attacks, so it aired) and it was evident how absolutely normal he appeared as a young student. Somehow, he was infected by the extremism strain, and he became a monster.

There's also that guy that has just been arrested in the US, teenager who used Tumbler, and through that the police were able to chart his radicalisation in a few short months from a normal (US) teen to a would be terrorist.

It does show how incredibly toxic the Islamist narrative is that it can radicalise young minds so easily. Military response alone will not solve it.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Appears at least one entered through Greece on October 3.

Assailant in Paris attacks had Syrian passport and passed through Greek island of Leros: Greece official | National Post

CBC say's another of the attackers was flagged for extremist links.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 14th 2015 at 6:02 am.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The last 100 years of the West meddling in, invading, occupying and bombing the Middle East has not exactly been a roaring success. I can't imagine doing more of the same being any different.

The source of ISIS is in the Gulf States and Saudi. Syria/Iraq is just the current battle ground.
Couldn't agree more.

But... damned if you do (Iraq/Libya), damned if you don't (Syria).

It's looking more and more that this whole 'islamic terror' thing is turning into a real war. A war that we are very busy losing on almost all fronts, make no mistake. I honestly don't believe that governments/security services/armies can think of a winning strategy right now. Just more of the same. We are so out of touch that we aren't even able to understand the enemy anymore. Remember how Islamic State came out of nowhere, and was widely mocked in the news for a few months, for being bearded cave dwellers? We didn't see it coming, and even when it did come, we laughed.

Understanding the enemy is the first step towards defeating it. And we are failing very badly.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:16 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Couldn't agree more.

But... damned if you do (Iraq/Libya), damned if you don't (Syria).
Not so.
If you remember, Hague, the UK government and others were over-hasty to help the nascent opposition to Assad because they desired and still desire regime change. In my view it was this rush to recognise a ragbag bunch of disparate opposition groups that directly resulted in the civil war. Had the international community not offered support and recognition to these groups then Assad might well have quelled the revolt.
Assad may be a dictator, but like Hussein and Gadaffi, they may have been the least bad option.
It is not true that the international community did not intervene in Syria.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dave_j
Assad may be a dictator, but like Hussein and Gadaffi, they may have been the least bad option.
Ah yes, the civilized west outsources its medieval repression to friendly dictatorships. Now that many have collapsed, we find it hard to survive without the outsourced torture and repression. How ironic.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:40 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Paris Attacks Nov 2015

Originally Posted by not2old
its the weekend again, Friday 13th or something, lots of bored folks
It never ceases to amaze me how callous humans can be. I guess it's closed heart syndrome or something like that.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:44 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

First of all I'd like to express my sympathy for those killed and injured in the Paris attacks.
This forum doesn't allow an in-depth discussion on the origins of the attacks because there apparently aren't enough posters who are familiar with the issues involved.
However we can view and comment on the events.
Knee-jerk reactions are common and understandable and there have been posts that I consider inappropriate.
What I will say is that when you quite rightly express disgust at the indiscriminate slaughter in Paris, spare a thought for the equally innocent victims resulting from the several invasions and the ongoing involvement of coalition forces in the middle east as a whole.
Agreed.

Thank you.

It's a sad day when anyone in a 'civilized' country gets slaughtered, but just another day for anyone in Palestine, Iraq or Sudan. The causes are sad and complex and there are always terrible human beings who live off hatred and slaughtering.

RIP and let's hope this doesn't escalate to a world war, with groups that would want nothing more than to crush the souls of those whom live in relative comfort and hope.

"If they won't share their wealth with us, we'll share our poverty with them" - a pirate quote

Complex problem for all humankind
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JamesM
Did it ever cross your mind that it could be two cells of 4.

Or cells of 5 and 3?

Or another combination of X and Y?

I'm just trying to understand the science behind the algorithm here.
Good point. The cell could have been 2 each, given specific and discrete instructions by the operating cell.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 6:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The sad thing is that the vast majority of those Syrian refugees are trying to escape this kind of shit. And now this will be used against them.
+1

Know some very nice, peaceful Muslims....sad sad sad
Old Nov 14th 2015, 7:00 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not so.
If you remember, Hague, the UK government and others were over-hasty to help the nascent opposition to Assad because they desired and still desire regime change. In my view it was this rush to recognise a ragbag bunch of disparate opposition groups that directly resulted in the civil war. Had the international community not offered support and recognition to these groups then Assad might well have quelled the revolt.
It is not true that the international community did not intervene in Syria.
Yes, there's something in that.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 7:33 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paris Attacks...

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Jon Snow (the C4 news guy, not the watcher on the wall) has an interesting perpspective... http://blogs.channel4.com/snowblog/p...e-europe/25934

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.