Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are our expectaions too high - Contractors

Are our expectaions too high - Contractors

Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are our expectaions too high - Contractors

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The mellinial generation seems not too interested in work. Its not a priority for them. I am sure there are some exceptions but working with mostly millenials at work its difficult at times. They tend to be late, call in sick, leave early, refuse to do their job and feel they dont have to listen to superiors.
How old is the oldest "mellinial"?
Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
How old is the oldest "mellinial"?
The oldest is Trump's wife.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 3:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The oldest is Trump's wife.
Well, there we are, some or all of them do work hard.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 4:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I largely agree except it is common for an advanced payment at the beginning for materials especially on large jobs. I work with contractors all the time and the one thing you learn is that they will cut corners if they think they can. The best advise I can give is ensure you always have a written statement of specifications that the contractors has signed off on. This doesn't need to be complicated but should also include:
What you want doing, how you want it doing and what materials should be used.
Depends on the client-contractor relationship. I've had some good trade contractors and some crap ones.

In my job, I'm essentially a contractor. With existing and trusted clients, I can quote a price over the phone ($60k last time I did it) and there is no contract or downpayment. They know we'll deliver and I know we'll get paid.

Certain other clients (bankers) are a different matter. We work out how much the job will cost to do, double it and front-load the payment schedule so that we at least cover our cost before we hand over any results. Bankers are a nightmare!
Old Jul 20th 2018, 10:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite happy to pay for materials up front, but other than that we have always staggered payments. It's when the materials don't materialise we havve a problem lol
Old Jul 21st 2018, 1:14 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

After my little rant, I contacted a local appliance store at 5:40pm, they close at 6pm, never used them before, we live out of town, only 20 mins to downtown but still out of town.

I asked do you repair Kenmore fridge freezers and what is your call out fee, expecting to arrange something for the next day. 6:15pm, guy turns up, diagnoses problem, sorts a temporary fix. Following day he calls to let me know how much the part will be and that it will be here tomorrow ( as in today).

I called to confirm that I was happy with that and will be home around 3pm Friday, for the rest of the day.

He called at 3:10pm to check I was home, turned up 20 mins later, replaced the part, took my money and off he went.

Stress free, simple, great service, how refreshing!