British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Ottawa Club? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/ottawa-club-807891/)

legaleagle1965 Sep 1st 2013 6:24 pm

Ottawa Club?

Does anyone know of a British expat club in Ottawa, or something that in effect is such a club and that has not yet been outlawed by the language police in that locale?

Simon Legree Sep 1st 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Ottawa Club?

Originally Posted by legaleagle1965 (Post 10880745)
Does anyone know of a British expat club in Ottawa, or something that in effect is such a club and that has not yet been outlawed by the language police in that locale?

You may find some like minded individuals that you are looking for living under a bridge ! ;)
Even if there is such a club I'd keep quiet about it. With your totally negative attitude you don't sound like you'd be an asset to them.

legaleagle1965 Sep 1st 2013 9:07 pm

Born of experience, nothing else.

luvmeboys Sep 1st 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by legaleagle1965 (Post 10880910)
Born of experience, nothing else.

Chin up old chap, why so sad?

legaleagle1965 Sep 1st 2013 9:58 pm

Just tired; tired of going through the same old hoops and around the same old, dull lifeless Canadian circles.

The country's opportunities are so small and the general attitude so small-minded. I'm also just tired of meeting "reserved" and other dishonest Canadians.

The mentality is a little clearer to see when, despite Canada's resources and potential, you compare Canada to the United States at the same point in America's own post-confederation development in 1922.

By 1922 the United States was a major manufacturing nation and an international military superpower.

Canada is nowhere close at its own 146 year marker.

Simon Legree Sep 1st 2013 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by legaleagle1965 (Post 10880965)
Just tired; tired of going through the same old hoops and around the same old, dull lifeless Canadian circles.

The country's opportunities are so small and the general attitude so small-minded. I'm also just tired of meeting "reserved" and other dishonest Canadians.

The mentality is a little clearer to see when, despite Canada's resources and potential, you compare Canada to the United States at the same point in America's own post-confederation development in 1922.

By 1922 the United States was a major manufacturing nation and an international military superpower.

Canada is nowhere close at its own 146 year marker.

What utter tosh. You are comparing apples to oranges. Just the fact that the US has ten times the population for a start.
Your shoulders must be terribly tired carrying around a chip the size of yours ! From what you say there do not appear to be any redeeming features so why prolong the agony and why not get on your bike and leave !

Novocastrian Sep 1st 2013 10:51 pm

I love the smell of troll in the morning.

legaleagle1965 Sep 1st 2013 10:54 pm

Yikes, I didn't know that there were mind-readers in this forum.

I see that I have to be very careful not to incur the wrath of the Thought Police, as well as the wrath of the Language Police.

So let's not even think about the 1939 voyage of the SS St. Louis to Canada.

A little over 50 years ago on this continent they accused another person of colour of harbouring a chip on his shoulder.

His name was Dr. Martin Luther King Jnr and he was assassinated in 1968.

Today, nobody accuses Dr. King of having carried a chip and they honour his name around the world. Funny that, don't you think?

Novocastrian Sep 1st 2013 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by legaleagle1965 (Post 10881021)

I see that I have to be very careful not to incur the wrath of the Thought Police, as well as the wrath of the Language Police.

A little over 50 years ago on this continent they accused another person of colour of harbouring a chip on his shoulder.

Today, nobody accuses Dr. King of having carried a chip and they honour his name around the world. Funny that, don't you think?

:rofl::rofl:

Novocastrian Sep 1st 2013 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by legaleagle1965 (Post 10880745)

But to take your question seriously, I'd suggest Barbarella's. Lots of your kind of folk there.

Siouxie Sep 1st 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by legaleagle1965 (Post 10881021)

That would be the continent of North America then. Martin Luther King was reviled by the authorities in the US yet you say you would prefer to live there.

Funny that, don't you think?

legaleagle1965 Sep 1st 2013 11:08 pm

Not true, at all.

US President John F Kennedy respected Dr. King's civil rights initiative so much that he signed into federal US law the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act to enfranchise black Americans.

I believe at that time Canadian Aboriginals were confronting their own struggle with the federal Canadian government on the very same issue.

Today there is a black American president; there is no equivalent anywhere else in the western world. Canada's only female Prime Minister (Kim Campbell) arose through default and was a short-lived period.

Former Lancastrian Sep 1st 2013 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by legaleagle1965 (Post 10881038)
Not true, at all.

US President John F Kennedy respected Dr. King's civil rights initiative so much that he signed into federal US law the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act to enfranchise black Americans.

I believe at that time Canadian Aboriginals were confronting their own struggle with the federal Canadian government on the very same issue.

Today there is a black American president; there is no equivalent anywhere else in the western world. Canada's only female Prime Minister (Kim Campbell) arose through default and was a short-lived period.

How many western world countries have presidents?

legaleagle1965 Sep 1st 2013 11:14 pm

You have to focus on these things; here you have to focus on the meaning of the word "equivalent" in the preceding post.

Former Lancastrian Sep 1st 2013 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by legaleagle1965 (Post 10881047)
You have to focus on these things; here you have to focus on the meaning of the word "equivalent" in the preceding post.

OK so what happens where in a country the leader is elected by the public voting for them and there are no black or other ethnic candidates to vote for is that somehow wrong? BTW the 2013 Liberal Party Canada leadership race had 6 candidates running for election with 4 of them being WOMEN. The party members decided to vote in a male leader