Which online course?

Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future
Default Which online course?

I'm having a dilemma.

Actually I'm having many of them but this one I could do with a bit of advice!

I've been in Admin of one kind or another for most of my working life. I have a lot of experience in the usual office duties including: customer service, communication skills, letter writing, proof reading etc. However, I don't think this will be enough, so trying to think ahead I thought I'd do an online course. Also I'm not working at the moment so this would be a good opportunity to better myself.

But what with? I've been trying to think of

a) what I think I'd be ok at,
b) what I'd be happy doing
c) what is affordable both £ & time wise.
d) what would be useful to my future employer
e) What I could use if I wanted to go self-employed /work remotely

Anyway the 2 options that I think would enhance my resume are Book keeping (ICB certificate 1 & 2) or Web design. So I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on either of these - pitfalls, job market, good research sites, qualifications etc. Also I'd really like to hear from anyone doing either of these in Canada.

Many thanks from a very confused
Lynpy
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which online course?

I have been in IT my entire working life, I would not recommend it to anyone as it is very much a dying discipline in the west. Companies are increasingly looking to just buy packages of software or use shared services or get development done in India or other low wage high skill environments. Given the choice now I would certainly follow the accounting route rather than IT.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

Thanks for that Solarfish, an interesting point of view.
Actually I am leaning towards bookkeeping as I can see myself being asked for that skill in an Admin positon more than web design. also I thinkI might be taking on too much with web design!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:04 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynpy
I'm having a dilemma.

Actually I'm having many of them but this one I could do with a bit of advice!

I've been in Admin of one kind or another for most of my working life. I have a lot of experience in the usual office duties including: customer service, communication skills, letter writing, proof reading etc. However, I don't think this will be enough, so trying to think ahead I thought I'd do an online course. Also I'm not working at the moment so this would be a good opportunity to better myself.

But what with? I've been trying to think of

a) what I think I'd be ok at,
b) what I'd be happy doing
c) what is affordable both £ & time wise.
d) what would be useful to my future employer
e) What I could use if I wanted to go self-employed /work remotely

Anyway the 2 options that I think would enhance my resume are Book keeping (ICB certificate 1 & 2) or Web design. So I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on either of these - pitfalls, job market, good research sites, qualifications etc. Also I'd really like to hear from anyone doing either of these in Canada.

Many thanks from a very confused
Lynpy
Hi Lynpy,

I am in the same boat as you, have done office work in some shape or form for nearly all my working life and I have been looking for something to do via the internet because I currently work (in an office) and won't really be able to take time out to go to college.

I did also think about waiting til I got to Canada and then doing something there, so that I would have some form of Canadian qualification to my name, as I have to get my current quals validated in Canada (if that makes sense).

Hope you find something good.

Karen
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kazbob
Hi Lynpy,

I am in the same boat as you, have done office work in some shape or form for nearly all my working life and I have been looking for something to do via the internet because I currently work (in an office) and won't really be able to take time out to go to college.

I did also think about waiting til I got to Canada and then doing something there, so that I would have some form of Canadian qualification to my name, as I have to get my current quals validated in Canada (if that makes sense).

Hope you find something good.

Karen
Thanks Karen

You too!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:47 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Not just saying this as I work for one but when you get to Canada have you considered a job in banking?

Strictly speaking to get a job on the frontline or even what I do (financial services manager) doesn't require previous qualifications in finance.

Banks are desperatley looking to fill positions and are eager for people to move up the ranks - the pay is not bad either in Canadian terms.

With this you get to know the community, have a huge chance to move up the ladder (i'm studying for mutual funds licensing at present and also to get my lending limits which means a nice pay increase and I adore the job I do).

As long as you are organised and get on with people I would really reccomend looking at doing this when you get here.

To answer the study at home question, I would agree with the accountancy ones - its another string to your bow if you can do payroll (SAGE etc) and accounts for any admin job

Good luck both XXX

Last edited by mandymoochops; Jun 19th 2008 at 7:48 pm. Reason: banana crappy spelling fingers and can't be bothered to correct the rest
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Not just saying this as I work for one but when you get to Canada have you considered a job in banking?

Strictly speaking to get a job on the frontline or even what I do (financial services manager) doesn't require previous qualifications in finance.

Banks are desperatley looking to fill positions and are eager for people to move up the ranks - the pay is not bad either in Canadian terms.

With this you get to know the community, have a huge chance to move up the ladder (i'm studying for mutual funds licensing at present and also to get my lending limits which means a nice pay increase and I adore the job I do).

As long as you are organised and get on with people I would really reccomend looking at doing this when you get here.

To answer the study at home question, I would agree with the accountancy ones - its another string to your bow if you can do payroll (SAGE etc) and accounts for any admin job

Good luck both XXX
Thanks! Thats really interesting and something I hadn't considered but I will certainly look in to this further. I wouldn't mind it either! Previously I worked for a major credit card issuer though not a high street bank - but its still money!

Cheers!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:41 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I've just finished a 12 month, full time course in Website Design (completely new direction for me!) and I must admit that I really love it. I now work from home so dont have to worry about fitting things in around school hours and school activities etc.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:56 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

Good luck both XXX
Thanks Mandy, that sounds like an option. I didn't realise that banking jobs were so easily available without having the relevant qual's. Might look into doing the SAGE at home.

Karen
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

re Banking and salaries. I have a Canadian friend who was paid $14 an hour to work as a teller for BMO. Thats in the GTA, so not big money at all.

I think its a great idea to do a Canadian course online. Have a look at Athabasca University, its like the OU. Some colleges also do distance learning, I would suggest you choose an educational establishment that's in the province you hope to settle in. This way any provincial laws and practices will be taught. Plus there's a chance that a vocational/trade program taught in Ontario say would not be accepted in Alberta.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Thats a really good point about doing a Canadian course online as it will definitely be recognised over there..
I too have a lot of time on my hands and was thinking about doing some sort of course like Web Design or book keeping..
No offence to the lady who said she had done the web design course but I am just not sure how much use it would be in terms of putting it into pracitce for paid work...Please correct me if I am wrong..There just seems to be so many web design companies out there now that can do some really brilliant stuff..
Of course I always figured that it would be good stuff to know for setting up my own web page or something but wasn't sure whether I would be able to actually make money out of it..Although I know this thread isn't about making money as much as improving ones self and either disciplines would do that..
I think I would go for the book keeping though..

Originally Posted by daft batty
re Banking and salaries. I have a Canadian friend who was paid $14 an hour to work as a teller for BMO. Thats in the GTA, so not big money at all.

I think its a great idea to do a Canadian course online. Have a look at Athabasca University, its like the OU. Some colleges also do distance learning, I would suggest you choose an educational establishment that's in the province you hope to settle in. This way any provincial laws and practices will be taught. Plus there's a chance that a vocational/trade program taught in Ontario say would not be accepted in Alberta.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:53 pm
C'mon already

Originally Posted by daft batty

Thanks DB, very good point, I never thought of doing an on line course with a Canadian University. We are going to NS, so will check out some courses along that line.

Karen
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
Thanks DB, very good point, I never thought of doing an on line course with a Canadian University. We are going to NS, so will check out some courses along that line.

Karen
Mount St Vincent uni in Halifax (on the Bedford Highway) do online courses
http://www.msvu.ca/distance/index.asp
as do NSCC
http://nscc.ca/Learning_Programs/Online_Education.asp
and SMU also offer online courses for mature students
http://www.smu.ca/prospectivestudent...e-home.html#04
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:11 pm
C'mon already

Originally Posted by val50
Mount St Vincent uni in Halifax (on the Bedford Highway) do online courses
http://www.msvu.ca/distance/index.asp
as do NSCC
http://nscc.ca/Learning_Programs/Online_Education.asp
and SMU also offer online courses for mature students
http://www.smu.ca/prospectivestudent...e-home.html#04
Thanks for the info, Val. Will certainly follow up with some of those links.

Karen