Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Olympics finishes Sunday and not a minute too soon.

The Olympics finishes Sunday and not a minute too soon.

Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:00 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Olympics finishes Sunday and not a minute too soon.

as much as i hate to admit it i have started watching hockey at the olympics and even cheered on canada the other night. in my defence i was in an english pub and they were playing dem jeermans.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'll be glad when the Olympics are finally over, Vancouver calms down, roads and parking open up and Canada can stop all this rah rah flag waving, aren't we great bollox and get back the quiet insecure lot they really are. Roll on Sunday.
TBH Oink, for once I agree with you. It's been a fun party but enough now, please let us have our normal laid-back city back. I'm sick of seeing Canada clothing (silly sheeple) and maple leaf flags! Time for it to be over and for us to enjoy the memories and get on with normal life. Plus, best of all, back to our normal working hours - I can't stand starting at 7am and I'm too tired to enjoy the early finishes

That said though, it's been an interesting experience and could get even mroe so depending on how the hockey goes tomorrow and Sunday...

I hope we get to keep the big flat screen TV in the break room at work, that'd be a good legacy.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:16 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
TBH Oink, for once I agree with you. It's been a fun party but enough now, please let us have our normal laid-back city back. I'm sick of seeing Canada clothing (silly sheeple) and maple leaf flags! Time for it to be over and for us to enjoy the memories and get on with normal life. Plus, best of all, back to our normal working hours - I can't stand starting at 7am and I'm too tired to enjoy the early finishes

That said though, it's been an interesting experience and could get even mroe so depending on how the hockey goes tomorrow and Sunday...

I hope we get to keep the big flat screen TV in the break room at work, that'd be a good legacy.
You live in Canada, of course you see Canadian flags
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:17 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
as much as i hate to admit it i have started watching hockey at the olympics and even cheered on canada the other night. in my defence i was in an english pub and they were playing dem jeermans.
Good for you! that's the spirit! get cheering tonight as well for the mens hockey
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Ah, but will the Canadian press slate 2012 as the Brit press has slated this?
That makes no difference cos only the Canadians will read their press and nobody else with give a shit what they think. Business as usual i believe it's called
Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
That makes no difference cos only the Canadians will read their press and nobody else with give a shit what they think. Business as usual i believe it's called
Point being that the Canadian press probably won't, whether people give a shit or not - just sayin.............
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:04 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Just in time for the 2012 debacle? I think not.
And what a debacle that will be.....
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'll be glad when the Olympics are finally over, Vancouver calms down, roads and parking open up and Canada can stop all this rah rah flag waving, aren't we great bollox and get back the quiet insecure lot they really are. Roll on Sunday.
Olympics? Who, what, when, where, why and how? Huh?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
And what a debacle that will be.....
Why?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:36 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

oh stop moaning you lot!
it is almost over and then you won't have to deal with it ever again
enjoy it while it lasts
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:00 pm

Why?
Apart from the nightmare of traffic, paring ext for the people of London and surrounding county,the cost to the tax payer has increased to the point where they are paying for it. The UK has lost a lot of its private funding for the games due to the reccession. A lot of companys that pledged money can no longer give it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1520389.html
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

One of my customers just came back from there and said it has really overall improved the transport situation
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:58 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Apart from the nightmare of traffic, paring ext for the people of London and surrounding county,the cost to the tax payer has increased to the point where they are paying for it. The UK has lost a lot of its private funding for the games due to the reccession. A lot of companys that pledged money can no longer give it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1520389.html
The set-up & creation, funding etc of the olympics is a debacle.

Still, why do you think the actual games will be a debacle?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:01 pm

The set-up & creation, funding etc of the olympics is a debacle.

Still, why do you think the actual games will be a debacle?

I dont think they will be, if I am honest I think I was referring more to the funding. Perhaps I should have made my self cleare,r instead of a throw away comment.

I think they will be good for the countries moral. Rule Britannia and all that stuff
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Bunch of moaning minnys! One of the features of a TV set is that you don't have to turn it on!

I've chosen to enjoy the games. I rarely watch TV except to watch United on Sentanta - roll on Sunday!!!! My kids have enjoyed seeing the games, and have derived a lot of inspiration from some of the stories - Bilodeau and his brother, Joannie Rochette, and the women's hockey team for example.

I'm looking forward to the men's hockey! The men looked rather quiet during the women's game - they've got quite an example to live up to.

It's going to be a good weekend sportswise

Come on ye Reds! go Canada go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.