Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:19 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony Show

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Don't get me wrong the idea was great but I found it disjointed. When the tree started rising I thought the aliens had arrived! lol

Satisfy my curiosity if you can. How much was a ticket to the opening ceremony? My boss came back from lunch with his cronies and said he had been told it was $2012! lol
He didn't pay
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Bloody Brilliant!!!

Made me very proud to be British
Originally Posted by Oink
Now that's an Olympic caldron not like crap one here with the tin foil on it.
Originally Posted by JonboyE
It was going OK till Macca turned up.
+1

I thought that olympic flame flower thingie was stunning - a sculpture.

And Mr McC should just retire gracefully now.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Games? What games........
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:42 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
+1

And Mr McC should just retire gracefully now.
I concur. I thought he was awful .... well he's just too old. It was embarassing! Didn't help that they had the sound all out of synch for a while when he started

I loved the gold rings, and the flower/cauldron was the best ever!!

Parts of the ceremony sent me to sleep though .....
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Don't get me wrong the idea was great but I found it disjointed.
In a way I support your opinion. There's a "disjointed" theme to the whole London games.... the ugly, jarring logo, the weird mascots, that so-called piece of art tower which is absolutely hideous... to the ceremony itself, which seemed really odd in some places.... like that lost telephone love story average british culture bit.... WTF?? The only good bit about that was the music compilation which aired most of my favourite bands, including the Pistols!!

Having said that there was some outstanding class in there.... the molten Olympic rings, the lighting of the final flame, the "cauldron".... really, really well done.

Overall, I was impressed. Well done to all involved. You did not let Britain down.

PS... Maccas hair is a bit embarrassing now, surely??
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:12 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I was interested to see what the reaction was from "abroad".....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...oad?intcmp=239

hmmm.... one could say, mixed?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Shame.

The music was great, the walk through pre and post industrial revolution, celebrating literature, NHS, GOSH (the kids and staff were great), british influence on music, changing of generations and times, arrival of internet and social media....

And the Queen jumping from the helicopter before being introduced.

You have to admit it was pretty fun, educational, and history. More so than most, if not all, opening shows.

Danny Boyle did a great job.

My brother in law is there and said the atmosphere and show were spectacular, with so much pride felt throughout.
+1 Well said el_richo
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose

Aaaaaawwwww!

Spain's El Mundo correspondent John Muller tweeted: "I think that, despite all their mistakes, it has become clear that without the UK our lives would not be the same."
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

In the middle of watching it now with a few beers and it is indeed bloody brilliant. Would have watched it earlier, but I was busy earlier doing nothing and browsing the internet (yes! another diem carpe'd!)
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:43 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
I wonder what foreigners will make of it.....
little too much cheese.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:58 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose

Great to see the Czech Republic getting it in on the comedic theme of the ceremony
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:19 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

"Becks on a boat on the Thames way better than Gretsky in the back of a truck in Vancouver"
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. There is no greater sight in sport than Gretsky in the back of a pickup.

Watched the first half again this evening and it was much better on TV than on a window in a quarter of my PC screen. I enjoyed the industrial revolution section (and the London phalluses (phalli ?) were certainly more upright than the ones in Vancouver).

I also enjoyed the night out dancing pageant. Lots of good music thought it was mostly 30 + year old sounds. And for realism they should have at least one person throwing up at the side of the stage.

The rest was rather underwhelming apart from the lighting of the cauldron. That was exceptional. Definitely the best I have seen.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jul 28th 2012 at 4:47 am.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:40 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
In a way I support your opinion. There's a "disjointed" theme to the whole London games.... the ugly, jarring logo, the weird mascots, that so-called piece of art tower which is absolutely hideous... to the ceremony itself, which seemed really odd in some places.... like that lost telephone love story average british culture bit.... WTF?? The only good bit about that was the music compilation which aired most of my favourite bands, including the Pistols!!

Having said that there was some outstanding class in there.... the molten Olympic rings, the lighting of the final flame, the "cauldron".... really, really well done.

Overall, I was impressed. Well done to all involved. You did not let Britain down.

PS... Maccas hair is a bit embarrassing now, surely??
i agree it was very neat as a tribute to what makes us brits....but....as i;ve said on here when certain sorts harp on about our history etc....to most of us its about corrie, east enders and fish chips,,,Boyle confirmed it.

i thought it was great as a Brit show......questionable as a international symbopl of our place in the world.....pop culture? surely we mean more than the sex pistols and Queen? Aren't our achievements more than that?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:30 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
i agree it was very neat as a tribute to what makes us brits....but....as i;ve said on here when certain sorts harp on about our history etc....to most of us its about corrie, east enders and fish chips,,,Boyle confirmed it.

i thought it was great as a Brit show......questionable as a international symbopl of our place in the world.....pop culture? surely we mean more than the sex pistols and Queen? Aren't our achievements more than that?
Did you miss the shakespeare, brunel, industrial revolution, nhs, suffragettes etc bits?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

And this was a hidden gem.
Attached Thumbnails Olympic Opening Ceremony Show-untitled-1261khl.gif  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.