The Old Boys Club

Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Old Boys Club

It is called "people like us" syndrome. Unless recruiters are trained otherwise (aka positive discrimination) then they tend to recruit people who they feel socially compatible with. The same ethnicity, the same education, the same class and so on. It happens everywhere but we don't usually notice it when we are one of the people like us.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:49 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Easy to play the game when its a smaller pond and depending on what you do for a living. Can be much harder for some other very qualified and capable people that the province has nominated to be here.
Is this you? Are you having problemos in your new job?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:55 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Is this you? Are you having problemos in your new job?
No.not me, its Paul. He has not been chosen for interview but our 67 year old boarder has. We'll ignore the experience he gained in Crawley and the dodgy areas of Croydon and accept that years in rural Newfoundland are much more useful. Gah!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:03 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is called "people like us" syndrome. Unless recruiters are trained otherwise (aka positive discrimination) then they tend to recruit people who they feel socially compatible with. The same ethnicity, the same education, the same class and so on. It happens everywhere but we don't usually notice it when we are one of the people like us.
TBH I prefer the UK way of recruiting, where anonymous people get a shot at a job based on their resume and experience, not who they know. To me, just because you know someone doesnt mean they are necessarily any better at a job or any more reliable than someone else.

I do know that this is the way it is here, I just dont love it
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:53 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I prefer the UK way of recruiting, where anonymous people get a shot at a job based on their resume and experience, not who they know. To me, just because you know someone doesnt mean they are necessarily any better at a job or any more reliable than someone else.

During my working life I hired, and fired, numerous people. Never once was it a case of the"old boys club". I just wanted the best that I could get.
I know that cronyism is alive and well, not just in your neck of the woods, it's a universal thing.
I will also say that I did experience "attitude problems" on occasion and that Brits were very good at coming across as "I know better" and "that's not how we did in the UK". After a few tries at interviewing and hiring Brits, which, being one, I tried to do in the early days. Sort of "old boys club" in reverse. I soon abandoned that though. My first hiree, from Liverpool, wasn't there five minutes before she wanted to start a union ! Needless to say she was gone in no time. Others with the "this is how we do it in the UK" attitude didn't last long either.
I'm glad to say that I don't have to do hiring and firing any more but if I did I would still want the best I could get. I always hired on merit alone.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is alive and well in this part of Canada too. However, it is not noticeably more prevalent than in the UK.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
My first hiree, from Liverpool, wasn't there five minutes before she wanted to start a union ! Needless to say she was gone in no time.
Excuse me? Needless to say?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:34 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
My first hiree, from Liverpool, wasn't there five minutes before she wanted to start a union ! Needless to say she was gone in no time.
Did she steal much?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Easy to play the game when its a smaller pond and depending on what you do for a living. Can be much harder for some other very qualified and capable people that the province has nominated to be here.
When it's a smaller pond it can be harder as you have to be careful not to offend and have the whole pond against you. If you slip up you can't just move on to another group as they're all inter related and look after each other

I've started volunteering to show my face. It has already generated some unexpected invitations... Never expected it as that wasn't the reason for doing it but it was an interesting knock on effect!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Canadian companies will, in general, hire on connections before merit. The situation is complicated by the casualisation of labour in progress in the industry sectors with which I'm familiar, it's obviously not such a big deal to take on someone's cousin on a contract as it is for a permanent position, and so the prevalance of hiring mates is, I think, increasing.

Still, I work, at a client's site, with a woman of gobsmacking stupidity. Someone who is plainly only in her position because her husband is well connected. This sort of flagrant exploitation of the firm, he's good at his job but not worth two salaries and sets of benefits, makes me feel awkward in that, if I ask, they will hire, and I use that facility from time-to-time. It would horrify me to think that someone they'd hired as a favour to me was not doing a proper job.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It would horrify me to think that someone they'd hired as a favour to me was not doing a proper job.
I'm glad to hear that the latest is punching well. Above weight would be going too far.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:59 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

No.not me, its Paul. He has not been chosen for interview but our 67 year old boarder has. We'll ignore the experience he gained in Crawley and the dodgy areas of Croydon and accept that years in rural Newfoundland are much more useful. Gah!
But you're in NS..which is more rural, not a large metropolis.

Maybe his experience IS more relevant, for a start, he'd be more attuned to teh culture.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:35 am
Happy

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
But you're in NS..which is more rural, not a large metropolis.

Maybe his experience IS more relevant, for a start, he'd be more attuned to teh culture.
yes thats true, lets hope he has more than 6 months left in the working world then to make it worth it.
Honestly, this is not a dig at my boarder, hes a nice guy who deserves an interview for sure, this is me being cross and fed up.