The Old Boys Club

Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:29 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Old Boys Club

I hate it! It seems to me that the old boys club rules in so many ways here in NS. The province has a labour shortage (apparently) but its so hard to get even an interview once you have seen a job advertised that is of course.

If they like you, you are in, if they dont like you, you are out. Sometimes it has nothing to do how good you are, if the manager is a twat and doesnt like your face you are out.

I saw this in my last job, the supervisor of a division got rid of a guy he "just didnt like, wasnt part of the club" because he just didnt like him. Lets ignore the fact that he made the most sales, was a nice guy who just wanted to do his job etc etc.
This is just one example. Obviously there are bigger corporations but this seems to be prevalent!

rant over!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:34 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Old Boys Club

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I hate it! It seems to me that the old boys club rules in so many ways here in NS. The province has a labour shortage (apparently) but its so hard to get even an interview once you have seen a job advertised that is of course.

If they like you, you are in, if they dont like you, you are out. Sometimes it has nothing to do how good you are, if the manager is a twat and doesnt like your face you are out.

I saw this in my last job, the supervisor of a division got rid of a guy he "just didnt like, wasnt part of the club" because he just didnt like him. Lets ignore the fact that he made the most sales, was a nice guy who just wanted to do his job etc etc.
This is just one example. Obviously there are bigger corporations but this seems to be prevalent!

rant over!
Erm, perhaps he saw him as a threat to his job. This also happens in UK. There are times when you do the hard work and then you let the boss take the credit.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:56 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard to explain what I mean. They tend to recruit their friends too, even if that friend is 67 years old!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:10 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Its hard to explain what I mean. They tend to recruit their friends too, even if that friend is 67 years old!
Nepotism rules! Along with canadian experience and canadian protectionism of their professional qualifications. People in the rest of the world could not possibly have as good an education/training as those in Canada. Their country, their rules. What a joke!

Before we had such rigourous anti racism laws and protection for minorities, I wonder what the views were of those immigrants that came to UK? I suspect they felt, very much as you feel now.

In fact I would go as far as if there is an indian nurse in a uK hospital, on the whole, I suspect her collegues think she is a liability. A bit broad brush perhaps, so how do the patients feel? A bit off subject but all open to debate in a free world. Best regards.fletch
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:29 am
Happy

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Nepotism rules! Along with canadian experience and canadian protectionism of their professional qualifications. People in the rest of the world could not possibly have as good an education/training as those in Canada. Their country, their rules. What a joke!

Before we had such rigourous anti racism laws and protection for minorities, I wonder what the views were of those immigrants that came to UK? I suspect they felt, very much as you feel now.

In fact I would go as far as if there is an indian nurse in a uK hospital, on the whole, I suspect her collegues think she is a liability. A bit broad brush perhaps, so how do the patients feel? A bit off subject but all open to debate in a free world. Best regards.fletch
I know, its a tough one and I know that it happens all over. Its just incredibly close to home when its your finances at stake. I have had my rah moments in the last few days about this. Even the word seniority at work makes the red mist descend. I know its part of life here, its a trying and testing part is all
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:37 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby was pissed off a few weeks back because on top of all the other crap he deals with, he had to spend time training a useless unqualified woman who shouldn't have got the job, but she was the boss' daughter!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorry1
My hubby was pissed off a few weeks back because on top of all the other crap he deals with, he had to spend time training a useless unqualified woman who shouldn't have got the job, but she was the boss' daughter!
Very similar situation where my partner worked. The vacancy the girl was hired for was a professional social services position that required a diploma in the field. This girl hadn't even completed her High School education a few years previously & was a total plank who'd been fired from her previous job for being useless. They even got around the seniority issue by tinkering with the grid levels of the job!

The fact her Mother was the organisations deputy Manager & Mummy was on the interviewing panel is no doubt purely incidental.

The whole farce had a happy ending. Mother eventually got the sack for bullying (official explanation was ill health) & inevitably, the daughter was on her bike fairly soon afterwards.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely all about networking over here and who you know!

OH was the auctioneer last night at the main fundraising event for the local hospital. After he had done it they were practically queuing up to congratulate him on what a good job he had done...

He's made a few more friends in high places as a result and when we need a favor they'll be there...

...just playing the game!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:50 pm
Happy

I agree its all about networking and I can see its merits IF YOU ARE ANY GOOD. If you are crap, why should you get opportunities others dont, based on your best mates.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:50 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Lorry1
how ridiculous. Its the one thing about NS that I cant stand
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:51 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Definitely all about networking over here and who you know!

OH was the auctioneer last night at the main fundraising event for the local hospital. After he had done it they were practically queuing up to congratulate him on what a good job he had done...

He's made a few more friends in high places as a result and when we need a favor they'll be there...

...just playing the game!
Easy to play the game when its a smaller pond and depending on what you do for a living. Can be much harder for some other very qualified and capable people that the province has nominated to be here.

Last edited by Howefamily; Apr 29th 2012 at 2:54 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like NZ. I haven't come across that level of nepotism here yet, touch wood. My employers employ a lot of new immigrants.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Apr 29th 2012 at 3:41 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, if NS is really like that, is that you have to be careful. You can't afford to piss anyone off as everyone talks and your reputation can be very easily besmirched. Take every opportunity that comes your way, don't say no to anything, don't turn down an opportunity even if you think ti's beneath you.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:23 pm
Happy

Thanks kiwilass, we do do that. Some things just dont seem to pan out that way
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:28 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

how ridiculous. Its the one thing about NS that I cant stand
It's not just NS, it's Alberta too - well my little bit of it anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.