old

Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:59 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default old

What age is 'old'?

Last night, watching TV and the presenter introducing an Elgar concerto made the passing comment "he was an old man in his early 60's when he composed it"...WTF!

Is that still considered old? I'll be there in under a decade and I do not want to be old. This presenter himself looked late 30's, if he was 20 it might be an understandable comment.

Anyway, I nominate 70 as the start of old .
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: old

The concept of 'old' has been the same for me throughout my life.
20 years older than me is old.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 12:08 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Having reached the grand old age of sixty I can tell you that old moves out by another 15 years (at this age).
I had a shock last week when going to watch a movie and the teller asked me if I had a seniors card I said "NO I DON'T" - cheeky young pup I could hear Jules behind me chuckling to herself (being younger than me and still having dark hair without chemical aids)
Old Sep 9th 2018, 12:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's little things like that. Occasionally finding that a receptionist or retail clerk is speaking to you slightly too reverentially, and realising that it's because of age rather than something else.

I haven't ever been offered a seat on crowded public transport, but I have occasionally taken one knowing that I will probably be given the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by Shard; Sep 9th 2018 at 12:21 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 12:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yeah it's little things like that. Occasionally finding that a receptionist or retail clerk is speaking to you slightly too reverentially, and realising that it's because of age rather than something else.

I haven't ever been offered a seat on crowded public transport, but I have occasionally taken one knowing that I will probably be given the benefit of the doubt.
I get offered seats on public transport pretty regularly now. I'm not that old yet, either at only 55! Guess it doesn't help that on days when my knees are playing up I use a stick
Old Sep 9th 2018, 12:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Last night, watching TV and the presenter introducing an Elgar concerto made the passing comment "he was an old man in his early 60's when he composed it"...WTF!

Is that still considered old?
For someone born when he was, life expectancy was much younger from what I just googled. Perhaps it should be linked to that.

I get a 55+ discount on Wednesdays at a pharmacy chain. Particularly useful for diabetic supplies as I save $24 off the $120 for every 100 needles/strips.

Every time I find some way to mention the discount to make sure it's included and every time it's already done. They presumed.
Last time I didn't bother mentioning it and discovered later they'd not done it. So back to mentioning it again. Maybe I should be happy that they don't always assume I'm old enough.

I've aged a lot over the last three years in terms of how I feel but I still feel I scrub up quite well.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 1:16 pm
Yo

I was listening to Jim Carrey on Bill Maher the other day, and he was saying when he was in Canada (Ontario) there was no need to pay for subscriptions? Is that right in Ontario?
Old Sep 9th 2018, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was listening to Jim Carrey on Bill Maher the other day, and he was saying when he was in Canada (Ontario) there was no need to pay for subscriptions? Is that right in Ontario?
Subscriptions? Playboy or something?
Assuming you mean prescriptions it would be interesting to discover how he has that idea.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If he meant prescriptions - well you don't pay for the doctor to WRITE it, lol.
There was an announcement that prescription charges would be dropped for the over 65's from August 2019 - but not sure if it made it to law. Once you hit 65 you may be able to get help with prescription drugs under the Ontario Drug Benefit - https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-cove...cription-drugs

I think age is just a number - but the mindset is something different. I knew people in their 50's that were 'old' - and people in their 70's who have more get up and go and look better than others in their 50's!

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 9th 2018 at 2:25 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Assuming you mean prescriptions it would be interesting to discover how he has that idea.
He probably meant vaccinations.
I'd bet just about anything that Jim Carrey has health insurance. I don't have to pay for mine either.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:19 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Damn autocorrect.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:20 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If he meant prescriptions - well you don't pay for the doctor to WRITE it, lol.
There was an announcement that prescription charges would be dropped for the over 65's from August 2019 - but not sure if it made it to law!

http://www.carp.ca/2018/03/28/ontari...w-includes-65/

I think age is just a number - but the mindset is something different. I knew people in their 50's that were 'old' - and people in their 70's who have more get up and go and look better than others in their 50's!
It is just a number, for sure. Just can be slightly annoying when the youngsters don't fully realise that.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Damn autocorrect.
Yeah, right? lol.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 3:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It is just a number, for sure. Just can be slightly annoying when the youngsters don't fully realise that.
I've just turned 60 - had a minor day procedure in hospital and as I was discharged, the nurse handed me a leaflet about falls prevention for the elderly. The bloody cheek of her!!
Old Sep 9th 2018, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The big Q to my mind is why there is such negativity abould growing older. It's the one "difference" all of us get to experience yet we are all trying to be/act younger and take it as a compliment if someone thinks we are younger. I studied this for many years and wrote quite a lot about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.