Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

OK - what are these poles?????

OK - what are these poles?????

Old Aug 20th 2007, 12:55 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default OK - what are these poles?????

I need some help of anyone who is already in canada????

We have been looking at houses and have come across these v.v.v.v large poles, some with dishes on, some with mast like boxes on....some with flashing lights on :curse:
one v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v..v BIG one just on the boarders of london, ontario

ok what are they, if anyone says they are phone masts, im going to cry for a year, as found a house i really like, the kids love and i could buy, but as im anti phone masts (dont get me going on these things in the uk) i dont want my house anywhere near them...sorry probably a silly question to some, but id rather live near a train track than one of those things...any help please

gill
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK - what are these poles?????

They call them street lights,some are traffic lights tho
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:08 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
I need some help of anyone who is already in canada????

We have been looking at houses and have come across these v.v.v.v large poles, some with dishes on, some with mast like boxes on....some with flashing lights on :curse:
one v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v..v BIG one just on the boarders of london, ontario

ok what are they, if anyone says they are phone masts, im going to cry for a year, as found a house i really like, the kids love and i could buy, but as im anti phone masts (dont get me going on these things in the uk) i dont want my house anywhere near them...sorry probably a silly question to some, but id rather live near a train track than one of those things...any help please

gill
Sounds like the ones with dishes on them could be microwave communication towers and the ones with boxes most likely are cell phone towers.

The flashing lights are most likely strobes so low flying aircraft can see and avoid the towers at night.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 20th 2007 at 3:12 am.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:26 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

oops looks like its off to the country for me!!!
nope cant live next to them things :curse:
wow in the uk you woudnt know they are there, that is a down side to city living, right on the housing estates....thats got me going now, need to find out info i think on these poles or hubby will be here alone

gill
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

oops looks like its off to the country for me!!!
nope cant live next to them things :curse:
wow in the uk you woudnt know they are there, that is a down side to city living, right on the housing estates....thats got me going now, need to find out info i think on these poles or hubby will be here alone

gill
You could do a photo?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 12:56 pm

right, im off to london today and will try and get a picture!!!
just found out that my phone usb will connect to camera, so will sign up to free picture hosting etc and post pic later

daughter took some fab photo's of niagara yesterday so she can email them to her gran

gill
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we are allowed to express our opinions - so it would seem to me that if you have a cell phone and that cell phone is receiving and sending phone calls and photos - would you not think that the waves that are transmitted from those towers - are also going to your telephone?

Those radio waves might start from the tower - but they go across streets and houses and roads and into your very telephone. So refusing to live near a tower - even if a person did not have a cell phone - the waves are everywhere. Every time you put the phone to your ear and make a call - the call is travelling via those radio waves to the tower you do not want to live beside.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:13 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I guess we are allowed to express our opinions - so it would seem to me that if you have a cell phone and that cell phone is receiving and sending phone calls and photos - would you not think that the waves that are transmitted from those towers - are also going to your telephone?

Those radio waves might start from the tower - but they go across streets and houses and roads and into your very telephone. So refusing to live near a tower - even if a person did not have a cell phone - the waves are everywhere. Every time you put the phone to your ear and make a call - the call is travelling via those radio waves to the tower you do not want to live beside.
I would say that if you have a cell phone then you approve of cell phone towers as they are required to make a cell phone work. Seems odd to want one and not the other, they go hand in hand. It's both or none, no in between. Not that there's been any evidence they are anything other than an eyesore.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:07 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

This thread reminds me of why the Aussies call Brits whinging poms. One of the great things about living over here is you don't hear sentiments like this very often.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:15 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, give the original poster a break. I love that I have a toilet that flushes but I sure as hell don't want to live near a sewage treatment plant.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
This thread reminds me of why the Aussies call Brits whinging poms. One of the great things about living over here is you don't hear sentiments like this very often.
You may not, but I have.

Whats whinging about it? she asked a question, wanted clarification, would do something to remedy her situation if need be. Where was the whinging??
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:36 pm

gavinr what ashame that yo jumped on my thread without reading or quick reading it :curse::curse:

i asked the question, because unlike alot of "poms" as you put it, i am very educated in the mast area in the uk and refuse to live near them and have viewed my point many times before in my area.
NOW lucky for me, my house in the uk is free from these things, if i chooe to use a cell that is my business, but why should my kids sufferfrom these masts.
Plus when you turn your cell OFF, the rays turn OFF, these masts blast out 24/7 and it is my right as a parent to refuse to live in this area, be it in the uk, canada,aussie etc etc etc

and i do not call the uk, i love the uk, but would not want to live there for much longer, why????
if you had taken time to talk to me like some on here you would of known, so unless you can answer my question sod off

thanks to the others, i have asked a realtor today who i may add as lived in the area all his life and doesnt know what they are, will be finding out for me.
But i have seen the cell boxes on the flats etc
shame that uk have these things pointing in kids bedrooms, i really hope that this is not the case with canada
if i have to live with them in the city, then im off to the country
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

gavinr what ashame that yo jumped on my thread without reading or quick reading it :curse::curse:

i asked the question, because unlike alot of "poms" as you put it, i am very educated in the mast area in the uk and refuse to live near them and have viewed my point many times before in my area.
NOW lucky for me, my house in the uk is free from these things, if i chooe to use a cell that is my business, but why should my kids sufferfrom these masts.
Plus when you turn your cell OFF, the rays turn OFF, these masts blast out 24/7 and it is my right as a parent to refuse to live in this area, be it in the uk, canada,aussie etc etc etc

and i do not call the uk, i love the uk, but would not want to live there for much longer, why????
if you had taken time to talk to me like some on here you would of known, so unless you can answer my question sod off

thanks to the others, i have asked a realtor today who i may add as lived in the area all his life and doesnt know what they are, will be finding out for me.
But i have seen the cell boxes on the flats etc
shame that uk have these things pointing in kids bedrooms, i really hope that this is not the case with canada
if i have to live with them in the city, then im off to the country
You'd better get one of them hats like what Stevie H is wearing in that nice Mr. Souvenir's avatar.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Oh, give the original poster a break. I love that I have a toilet that flushes but I sure as hell don't want to live near a sewage treatment plant.
If you have toilet that flushes, why do you post all that shit on here?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:55 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If you have toilet that flushes, why do you post all that shit on here?

Cos Victoria doesn't have a sewage treatment facility; we pump it all out into the ocean. I'm just doing part in being green.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.