Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

OK - ADVICE NEEDED ON WEATHER HERE!

OK - ADVICE NEEDED ON WEATHER HERE!

Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:51 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OK - ADVICE NEEDED ON WEATHER HERE!

Hello peeps,

Just need some advice..........

Its supposed to be a high of -26 tomorrow and with the windchill stuff on top of that we will probably undoubtedly be looking at -30 something, there is in fact a windchill warning out here....

I only have a couple of classes at college in the morning, and what with the blowing snow etc am already dreading the drive there, so do I stay home or not? What the heck is the norm here? Keeping in mind my round trip from home, to school, to college is about 20 minutes.....to top it all off, Mr Miggins didn't even check if the extension cord he left for the block heater is ok, the car is in the garage but even still, I am a bit worried about starting it in such cold conditions without it being heated first.

So any advice would be warmly welcomed !

Mrs Miggins xxx
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:54 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK - ADVICE NEEDED ON WEATHER HERE!

Definitely heat the car.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely MOVE!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Stay at home and use video conferencing on your laptop.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:10 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Hello peeps,

Just need some advice..........

Its supposed to be a high of -26 tomorrow and with the windchill stuff on top of that we will probably undoubtedly be looking at -30 something, there is in fact a windchill warning out here....

I only have a couple of classes at college in the morning, and what with the blowing snow etc am already dreading the drive there, so do I stay home or not? What the heck is the norm here? Keeping in mind my round trip from home, to school, to college is about 20 minutes.....to top it all off, Mr Miggins didn't even check if the extension cord he left for the block heater is ok, the car is in the garage but even still, I am a bit worried about starting it in such cold conditions without it being heated first.

So any advice would be warmly welcomed !

Mrs Miggins xxx
I plug the van in as soon as I park we haven't got a garage, I only turn on the juice a few hours before I need to move (should invest in a timer). The advice I had from my neighbour is if it's -20 you should definately give the engine some help. I travel back and fore to Regina which is roughly 30 minutes each way on a good day, but about 40 mins if its swirly snow or early morning as the sun is right in your eye line driving in. The weather in Saskatchewan can change so quickly the traffic doesn't stop running for long whatever the condition. The highways are good, but the ring road in Regina is rediculous as it doesn't get cleaned so the brown sludge that is supposed to stop you slipping makes you slip
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

This has made me think about schools - rather belatedly. At what point would a school close? I need to dig out all the bumpf they gave us at the beginning of the school year. I'm sure there was something about the parent making the final decision as to whether to send a child in when it got to -25/-30 or something like that?

Ok - I'm off to hunt for bits of paper - and find out which radio station I ought to be listening to
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:14 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

YEAH! Anne its supposed to hit -44 here tomorrow during the day, so I reckon it will be pretty rough your way too.

I think I will stay at home and do some home schooling that I didn't do this weekend and was a feeling a little guilty about, and bake some cookies for numeracy, literacy and science of course (honest!) I will also need someone to go pick me up an extension lead tomorrow too!

Anyway all the best guys and take care

Mrs M xxx
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Its at times like this that you miss good old damp Britain eh.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:09 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
This has made me think about schools - rather belatedly. At what point would a school close? I need to dig out all the bumpf they gave us at the beginning of the school year. I'm sure there was something about the parent making the final decision as to whether to send a child in when it got to -25/-30 or something like that?

Ok - I'm off to hunt for bits of paper - and find out which radio station I ought to be listening to
just posted on this same subject!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...95#post5847395
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:32 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

You just dress for it, not stupid woolies, but Gortex and thinsulate

OZ is an alternative, if you don't mind 50+Celsius days.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I have just looked at our school details.

It states that the school bus will only be suspended when the temp reaches
-40, or a wind chill of -50

We normally walk the 400 yards to school....may think about taking the car!

Linda
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:27 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I normally walk into work takes about 15 mins but the actual temp outside at present is -31 with the wind chill its apparently -44

So today I have mostly booked a taxi (o/h taken the truck and I wasn't going to give him a lift in then pick him up later - what in this weather!!!!!)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Too freaking cold for work
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

It's official...........school buses suspended.......school still open!

My kid's are not happy......and we are going to walk

This is the coldest I have known since arriving (almost 3 years).

I shall report my findings!!!! (if no report in the next hour or so....please send rescue team...and hot drink!!!)

Linda
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:53 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

OK so we all know that it's bloody cold this morning, I did go and walk the dog looking like nanook of the north (according to hubby) last night, but this morning the dog won't even go for a pee.

Do I dress up - covering all exposed parts and walk the poor thing or do we pass, frost bite in 5-10 minutes, our walks are usually 40 mins, a quick one is 20 mins.

I'll have a little think about it, -31 wind chill, -47, schools open, busses running, do I do Curves or leave it till tomorrow, do I still go for coffee with my mate?

Yes to coffee!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.