Oh So Quiet.......

Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh So Quiet.......

Originally Posted by rae
no i don't think he should, he has made some valid points here.
you should not have to walk on egg shells for fear of upsetting someones delicate sensibilities by disagreeing with them, as long as obviously its not completely abusive, you can be direct and robust without completely loosing it.
this is not a popularity contest either, though some are on here clearly to court it, good grief its not lavalife.

as regard to the moderation as it appears we can temporarily have our say, for every moderator quote that they have had dozens of PM's agreeing with them, consider this, the persons involved get the same amount agreeing with them! just because you are a moderator does not automatically put you in the right and give you carte blanche to write as you wish. that is all i would say on the matter and ask you to consider.
oh, apart from when you are clearly vastly unpopular, stand down.
"Completely abusive" is another one of those subjective terms that needs a person to make a call. A joke or a remark at someones expense is OK, but Id rather stop well short of "complete" abuse.

Moderation by opinion poll, wouldnt that be something. Not particularly practical given the nature of the job and its ability to attract criticism. If half the population think you do too much and half think you do too little, then you are probably about right, but that gives you a popularity rating of 2, and they are probably both mods anyway. The only person who has a say in who moderates is Sue, she after all is the one with most to lose or gain. I suspect that when mods go its either a falling out with her, or deciding that they dont have the time to devote to it. No one becomes a mod to improve their popularity, that much is clear.

LOL, As far as not having carte blanche goes, Several times Ive found myself holding back on posting what I really think about certain members simply because its not worth the trouble it would be to clean up the thread afterwards.

I can understand why people would be reticent to post their opinions one way or other in this thread, but I have invited discussion in private and not one person on the <the mods suck> side has taken up that offer, so what am I supposed to think other than its just half a dozen noisy malcontents who have been the ones most affected by the more active moderation.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 10th 2009 at 6:47 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
Again may I remind you that, this is why the maple leaf was created so we could talk crap and avoid the immigrants to other parts.
But where does it say that the maple leaf was OK for abusive or insulting posts, or putting down newbies?

Insulting and abusive are subjective I guess....hence the advice that if you dont like the intervention here (although we mostly only intervene when posts are reported by others) you can try your luck in TIO or the lounge etc with the other mods....

Last edited by iaink; Aug 10th 2009 at 6:47 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

micknev is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Oh So Quiet.......

Ah,PM =private message????????????Whats all this abuse stuff,take more than a few naughty words to give me the hump and put me orf posting,mods,do they still ride scooters????actually quite like being abused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:58 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dingbat
<sigh>. I rest my case. Enjoy what's left of the forum. Keep in touch those of you who have my email.
That's too bad. I enjoyed your commentary on life in the lower mainland over the years.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:58 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Constant would be every post.................why not take time to gather evidence before casting aspersions that cause people's judgment to be clouded.

Now haven't you got a bratty daughter to look after?
Her Bratty daughter is too busy trawling the threads looking for 'naughty' words.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:00 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iaink;7830052Moderation by opinion poll, wouldnt that be something.
[/QUOTE]

quite and why not.

moderators to serve a tenure of no more than 1yr.

moderators must have at least 1,000 post to their name and 1yr on the forum to evidence they have contributed and know what its all about.

moderation is a condition of membership of the forum, everyone takes their turn on a rotational basis, worked on seniority.
this way everyone takes a bite of the s++t sandwich and experiences what its like/has the chance to do it if they want.

just a thought.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:00 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Her Bratty daughter is too busy trawling the threads looking for 'naughty' words.
hhheeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy, ban just this minute ended mate, ha ha ha ha
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:02 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This over-earnest free speech stuff is silly; So the mods are sometimes inconsistent - so what? really what actually happens other than a few people getting their knickers in a twist unnecessarily?
Originally Posted by iaink
But where does it say that the maple leaf was OK for abusive or insulting posts, or putting down newbies?

Insulting and abusive are subjective I guess....hence the advice that if you dont like the intervention here (although we mostly only intervene when posts are reported by others) you can try your luck in the other forums with other mods....
The reason why I persue this so much is that I moderate 3 forums.

I am a moderator in a boxing forum, an IT forum and a video game forum.

I have to apply the same rules as posted on this site and it never gets out of hand.

If 2 people disagree then as a mod you should either ignore it or get rid of BOTH members rarely is it one person attacking the other and rarely is it a one thread argument (typically arguments happen over every thread each member is in).

This is why I prefer to say ignore it. Much better to have an auto-reply of "if you want to be banned also then stop reporting this person as both of you are breaking rules".

There is nothing worse in my opinion than someone who provokes an issue then reports the reply...

I know it is challenging keeping up with all the bickering which occurs over lengths of time and threads, this is why it is best to ignore individuals fighting and if it really gets out of hand then step in and just say you will both be banned if you keep it up. Why should only one person be banned when it's normally between 2 or more people?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:03 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by iaink;7830052
LOL, As far as not having carte blanche goes, [I
Several [/I]times Ive found myself holding back on posting what I really think about certain members simply because its not worth the trouble it would be to clean up the thread afterwards.
but this what we all do iain and it is even more expected of the mods because of the position, its a given, not something to be applauded. so when its abused it gets peoples backs up.
[F]do as i say, not as i do. the worst, the abject worst thing ever.[/FONT]
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by rae
quite and why not.

moderators to serve a tenure of no more than 1yr.

moderators must have at least 1,000 post to their name and 1yr on the forum to evidence they have contributed and know what its all about.

moderation is a condition of membership of the forum, everyone takes their turn on a rotational basis, worked on seniority.
this way everyone takes a bite of the s++t sandwich and experiences what its like/has the chance to do it if they want.

just a thought.

Run it by Sue, but I suspect she is happy enough the way it is.

There are many long time posters with <1000 posts who would probably make great mods. Having lots of previous history here does not necessarily make it easy as a mod, some people tend to take liberties based on that ongoing relationship.

Moderation based on seniority would likely make it an old boys club, and would reduce the chances of the mods sticking up for new posters for fear of what their friends think. In fact I seem to recall being accused of that too
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

There is nothing worse in my opinion than someone who provokes an issue then reports the reply...
We do read the whole thread before acting, and often do nothing or caution both sides.

As far as Im aware no one has ever been banned for a first offence, there is always a warning to behave first. I think I've banned two people in 8 months, Dont think CO has even banned that many. Talk of bans is thoroughly overblown here.

If people have been banned for getting into verbal conflict its because its a pattern of behaviour and failure to heed previous warnings, not a question of who said what to whom first.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 10th 2009 at 7:14 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:12 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
We do read the whole thread before acting

As far as Im aware no one has ever been banned for a first offence, there is always a warning to behave first. I think I've banned two people in 8 months, Dont think CO has even banned that many. Talk of bans is thouroughly overblown here.

If people have been banned for getting into verbal conflict its because its a pattern of behaviour and failure to heed previous warnings, not a question of who said what to whom first.
If only you read my WHOLE post... I said rarely is it over one thread...typically it happens over numerous threads and this is why it is difficult to judge.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:15 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
LOL...Thats fantastic!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

If only you read my WHOLE post... I said rarely is it over one thread...typically it happens over numerous threads and this is why it is difficult to judge.
And if you read my reply you would see that we dont ban people for one offence, they get at least one warning and ample opportunity to state their side of whatever is going on.

If they continue to act without head for the warning, then all bets are off. Its relatively easy to ignore people who wind you up here, or to take a break as butch seems to have done recently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.