Oh So Quiet.......

Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:43 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh So Quiet.......

Originally Posted by micknev
re iaink,im fairly new here,but posted recently daring to have a pop at canada,i described some people and their responses as tossers,this was deleted due to this word,i would have thought piss was worse,as i said im new posted 2/3 items in the past,got average feedback,best bit is the info stuff.Just one question,are u guys/girls paid,or volunteers,not had prob with any of u personally,just wondered.
It's easy to get around - just replace what you want to call people with '<abusive rant removed>'

For example, this comment is obviously from a newbie who is <abusive rant removed>
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

micknev is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Oh So Quiet.......

Ummmmmmmmm,sort of,i think tossers quite a jovial word,use it regularly with mates etc,but yeah take ur point,i think!!!!mite post more if it hets a little lively like this,quite good this,yahooooooooooooooooo,time for a cider me thinks.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmmmmmmm,sort of,i think tossers quite a jovial word,use it regularly with mates etc,but yeah take ur point,i think!!!!mite post more if it hets a little lively like this,quite good this,yahooooooooooooooooo,time for a cider me thinks.
Dont get your hopes up. as I said a few posts up, this is it for discussing moderation, for a while at least.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

life is toooooooooooooo short to get the hump,live it and enjoy,that bird farty knickers started this,blame her,ha.i have one star by my name,never got one of them at school.i take it the more u get involved the more u get?I think its a g8 site,full of info and easy reading.Cheers to all
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:53 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

re iaink,im fairly new here,but posted recently daring to have a pop at canada,i described some people and their responses as tossers,this was deleted due to this word,i would have thought piss was worse,as i said im new posted 2/3 items in the past,got average feedback,best bit is the info stuff.Just one question,are u guys/girls paid,or volunteers,not had prob with any of u personally,just wondered.
You shouldn't be able to swear on an internet forum and even the words you can say without getting filtered should not be said, unfortunately I have seen most people use some kind of curse word on the forums which is annoying as you can express literally any feeling/opinion without the use of curse words...Is this a banning offence??? Not really it just needs to be edited or starred. I also understand it can be easy typing in a swear as you type in verse with yourself.

What annoys me is genuine posters getting labled as brats/antagonists or whatever else people call them.

We are here to aid those in need of information about immigration, we are also here as immigrants to compare our experiances and to talk to those who have a very similar life experiance...It is no small deal to emigrate in fact it's the hardest thing that I have ever done.

This is what annoys me is most of us are friends on these forums most of us respect eachother for what we have each accomplished and yet as soon as someone gets insulted (normally due to a 'joke') all hell breaks loose I am trying to tell most of you to relax a little because unfortunately whether you like it or not each one of us has advice/opinions on life and each of our opinions is priceless to the person who reads it, listens and understands perfectly where you are coming from.

This is why I get angry at the mods is because it is down to them to filter out spam/curse words/nudity not to apply censorship to anything that they don't agree with.

Just deal with it you are on an internet forum nothing here is truely said in spite but normally in jest people just trying to humour themselves whilst waiting for the person to come along with a question that can be answered.

My final point is to remind you that in the top left corner of the screen is something that states 'discussion forum' another word for discussion is debate...A debate means that there is often more than one opinion on a subject get over yourself if someone disagrees just accept it.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
You shouldn't be able to swear on an internet forum and even the words you can say without getting filtered should not be said, unfortunately I have seen most people use some kind of curse word on the forums which is annoying as you can express literally any feeling/opinion without the use of curse words...Is this a banning offence??? Not really it just needs to be edited or starred. I also understand it can be easy typing in a swear as you type in verse with yourself.

What annoys me is genuine posters getting labled as brats/antagonists or whatever else people call them.

We are here to aid those in need of information about immigration, we are also here as immigrants to compare our experiances and to talk to those who have a very similar life experiance...It is no small deal to emigrate in fact it's the hardest thing that I have ever done.

This is what annoys me is most of us are friends on these forums most of us respect eachother for what we have each accomplished and yet as soon as someone gets insulted (normally due to a 'joke') all hell breaks loose I am trying to tell most of you to relax a little because unfortunately whether you like it or not each one of us has advice/opinions on life and each of our opinions is priceless to the person who reads it, listens and understands perfectly where you are coming from.

This is why I get angry at the mods is because it is down to them to filter out spam/curse words/nudity not to apply censorship to anything that they don't agree with.

Just deal with it you are on an internet forum nothing here is truely said in spite but normally in jest people just trying to humour themselves whilst waiting for the person to come along with a question that can be answered.

My final point is to remind you that in the top left corner of the screen is something that states 'discussion forum' another word for discussion is debate...A debate means that there is often more than one opinion on a subject get over yourself if someone disagrees just accept it.
dude... let it go
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:58 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

life is toooooooooooooo short to get the hump,live it and enjoy,that bird farty knickers started this,blame her,ha.i have one star by my name,never got one of them at school.i take it the more u get involved the more u get?I think its a g8 site,full of info and easy reading.Cheers to all
You should Pm that Farty Knickers bird,to thank her for starting this discussion.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:02 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
dude... let it go
I have said nothing insulting to anyone about anyone I am just giving honest views on why people are upset! If people can not accept that I am an honest genuine poster here then who cares??? You may not like what I type but I get PMs all the time from people who have read my previous posts on this subject and they often agree but are so fed up or worried that they will get banned that they can not post it for fear.

I don't really care if I get banned to be honest, I can mask my IP create a new account it really doesn't matter. But again I have no reason to get banned for typing constructive criticism.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Flogger,i mite but what is pm?im a simple carpenter,awiting med requests,my typing is worse than useless,took me 5 mins to do this!!!!mind u some would say my chippying is no better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:05 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
dude... let it go
no i don't think he should, he has made some valid points here.
you should not have to walk on egg shells for fear of upsetting someones delicate sensibilities by disagreeing with them, as long as obviously its not completely abusive, you can be direct and robust without completely loosing it.
this is not a popularity contest either, though some are on here clearly to court it, good grief its not lavalife.

as regard to the moderation as it appears we can temporarily have our say, for every moderator quote that they have had dozens of PM's agreeing with them, consider this, the persons involved get the same amount agreeing with them! just because you are a moderator does not automatically put you in the right and give you carte blanche to write as you wish. that is all i would say on the matter and ask you to consider.
oh, apart from when you are clearly vastly unpopular, stand down.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I take your point, but there is another box up there that says "Site Rules"

The rules exist to make this place work smoothly for all the points you stated. The main one to go by is " Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack." There is no bot filter for that.

In my opinion there are many spiteful comments here, we get the reports remember! Peoples feelings do get hurt, or people decide not to return. The anonymity of the forum makes people behave in ways they wouldnt dream of in a face to face situation, and text with emoticons is not ideal for subtlety and nuance, so no doubt there are misunderstandings too.

Another relevant rule is not to post with the "intent of upsetting or antagonizing other members" Thats another one where people have to make the call.

Intent is a subjective thing and we have to make subjective calls on that front, and being human I doubt we get it right 100% of the time, however, someone has to do it, and we were picked. We make decisions based on what we think will be best for the forum in the long term.

I can think of one poster (who shall remain nameless) who had a timeout on that front, and since then they have posted in a more considerate manner and caused a lot less friction, while still managing to pick the brains of the people here willing to help.

I know what you mean about people just posting for laughs to kill time while waiting for a question to answer, and Ive got no problem with that as long as no one is offended and the rules regarding adult content / language etc are not obliterated, of course, thats also part of the reason the lounge and TIO are there, to avoid the banter swamping the usefull information component of the individual country forum. Different mods there too

Last edited by iaink; Aug 10th 2009 at 6:18 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
I take your point, but there is another box up there that says "Site Rules"

The rules exist to make this place work smoothly for all the points you stated. The main one to go by is " Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack." There is no bot filter for that.

Another relevant one is not to post with the "intent of upsetting or antagonizing other members" Thats another one where people have to make the call.

Intent is a subjective thing and we have to make subjective calls on that front, and being human I doubt we get it right 100% of the time, however, someone has to do it, and we were picked. We make decisions based on what we think will be best for the forum in the long term.

I can think of one poster (who shall remain nameless) who had a timeout on that front, and since then they have posted in a more considerate manner and caused a lot less friction, while still managing to pick the brains of the people here willing to help.

I know what you mean about people just posting for laughs to kill time while waiting for a question to answer, and Ive got no problem with that as long as no one is offended and the rules regarding adult content / language etc are not obliterated, of course, thats also part of the reason the lounge and TIO are there, to avoid the banter swamping the usefull information component of the individual country forum. Different mods there too
Again may I remind you that, this is why the maple leaf was created so we could talk crap and avoid the immigrants to other parts.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:32 pm

I have said nothing insulting to anyone about anyone I am just giving honest views on why people are upset! If people can not accept that I am an honest genuine poster here then who cares??? You may not like what I type but I get PMs all the time from people who have read my previous posts on this subject and they often agree but are so fed up or worried that they will get banned that they can not post it for fear.

I don't really care if I get banned to be honest, I can mask my IP create a new account it really doesn't matter. But again I have no reason to get banned for typing constructive criticism.
This over-earnest free speech stuff is silly; So the mods are sometimes inconsistent - so what? really what actually happens other than a few people getting their knickers in a twist unnecessarily?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:34 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Flogger,i mite but what is pm?im a simple carpenter,awiting med requests,my typing is worse than useless,took me 5 mins to do this!!!!mind u some would say my chippying is no better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will try to find where Farty is hiding and bring her in for a chat
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.