Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Off Topic Posts moved from Covid Quarantine thread: Grocery delivery

Off Topic Posts moved from Covid Quarantine thread: Grocery delivery

Old Feb 1st 2021, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic Posts moved from Covid Quarantine thread: Grocery delivery

Just always keep in mind with IC, none of those fees go to the driver/shopper, and IC isn't very generous most of the time with the pay they offer drivers. A 30-40 unit shop + 15km drive may only pay $10-$14 and take 2 hours total.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 9:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic Posts moved from Covid Quarantine thread: Grocery delivery

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Just always keep in mind with IC, none of those fees go to the driver/shopper, and IC isn't very generous most of the time with the pay they offer drivers. A 30-40 unit shop + 15km drive may only pay $10-$14 and take 2 hours total.
Yeah I've noticed there's quite a campaign on Reddit atm for people in Ontario to avoid Uber Eats and DoorDash and order directly from the restaurant instead because of how those companies treat their delivery drivers.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 9:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody delivers here! No groceries, no takeout. It's tough.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 12:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes...by doing it the way I do - saving the individual delivery fee and cutting the 5% down to 2% - I can tip better.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:41 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Nobody delivers here! No groceries, no takeout. It's tough.
Where is that?

Tbh it surprises me just how many options are available in Canadian cities. You would think that options in the UK would be plentiful given its small size and hugely centralised population but they're not. Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and a few other major supermarket chains have their own plus Amazon Pantry and Ocado offer online only alternatives. Trying to get a slot with one of them since last March has been a constant uphill struggle though and when you can get a slot, the minimum order requirements are insane.

Tesco charge an exorbitant delivery fee atm if you order below £50 so you either end up ordering a bunch of things you don't need or essentially paying out money for nothing.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Just a little heads up for anyone this might help, Revolut does work on Voila at least. I noticed they allow you to have a CAD balance on your Revolut account these days too so I just transferred some money into that and I have a grocery delivery coming later today. There was a temptation to live on takeaways for a fortnight but I think my wallet and waistline will thank me for not doing that.

Metro will not deliver to my postcode for whatever reason which considering I'm only a couple of blocks from the Eaton Centre seems a bit weird.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 12th 2021 at 12:28 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Just a little heads up for anyone this might help, Revolut does work on Voila at least. I noticed they allow you to have a CAD balance on your Revolut account these days too so I just transferred some money into that and I have a grocery delivery coming later today. There was a temptation to live on takeaways for a fortnight but I think my wallet and waistline will thank me for not doing that.

That’s one hurdle crossed...good for you and welcome to T.O.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That’s one hurdle crossed...good for you and welcome to T.O.
Cheers, I don't think I could have done it without the help from you and Siouxie tbh. It's going to be a bit awkward for the next couple of weeks or so though because I need to remotely work my notice in my old job from the UK so I'll need to be up in the wee hours every morning.

Fortunately in addition to the stay at home order, the weather isn't exactly inviting me to go outside atm so that definitely makes quarantine easier. I went out on the balcony for a few minutes yesterday but not for long and the weather today looks much worse.

Some of the deals on DoorDash are really good as well. When I got here I managed to get 4 meals worth of really good quality Japanese food plus some drinks delivered for under $60 including the tip. You wouldn't get that anywhere in the UK.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic Posts moved from Covid Quarantine thread: Grocery delivery

Cheers, I don't think I could have done it without the help from you and Siouxie tbh. It's going to be a bit awkward for the next couple of weeks or so though because I need to remotely work my notice in my old job from the UK so I'll need to be up in the wee hours every morning.

Fortunately in addition to the stay at home order, the weather isn't exactly inviting me to go outside atm so that definitely makes quarantine easier. I went out on the balcony for a few minutes yesterday but not for long and the weather today looks much worse.

Some of the deals on DoorDash are really good as well. When I got here I managed to get 4 meals worth of really good quality Japanese food plus some drinks delivered for under $60 including the tip. You wouldn't get that anywhere in the UK.
We went for a walk yesterday morning, the sun was shining and it felt quite pleasant. Although in some places where the wind blows between the buildings it was uncomfortable. Also how high up you are will make a difference. One summer we went to look at a condo on the 50th floor. When I opened the door onto the balcony, all the inside doors closed with a bang. It was windy on the balcony, which surprised me because at ground level it was a beautiful day, with no wind.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Metro will not deliver to my postcode for whatever reason which considering I'm only a couple of blocks from the Eaton Centre seems a bit weird.
odd, I used to live a couple blocks away from Eaton centre and they would be delivering there. I guess they’ve blocked off some postal codes for lack of parking, I guess they figured loss of business would be less than the stack of parking tickets their drivers would be driving around with.

who did you use in the end? I’ve been tempted by Voila but their $8 delivery fee just makes me go in store instead.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
odd, I used to live a couple blocks away from Eaton centre and they would be delivering there. I guess they’ve blocked off some postal codes for lack of parking, I guess they figured loss of business would be less than the stack of parking tickets their drivers would be driving around with.

who did you use in the end? I’ve been tempted by Voila but their $8 delivery fee just makes me go in store instead.
It could be a parking thing although DoorDash don't seem to have an issue with it and brought the food right to my front door. Unfortunately they decided not to knock for some reason so I didn't realise it was there until I received a delivery confirmation SMS and opened the door on the off-chance.

I did use Voila because they had some offers on that grabbed my attention. As a supposed-to-be mature professional in my 30's I could pretend it wasn't the BOGOF offer on chocolate milk that initially grabbed my intention but I would be lying through my back teeth.

I grabbed a $6.99 delivery slot though. It's only a dollar under the normal rate but it's a principal thing really. In the UK most of them either won't charge you or will only charge you very little if you order over £50.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:58 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Oh another hint for anyone who might be arriving for the first time or returning after a long time away. A lot of the Canadian grocery, food delivery, and transport are geo-locked to the local app stores only but if you have an Android phone then you can sign up for a 2nd Google Play account from Canada and add it to your phone. It lets you install stuff from both the UK and Canadian app stores and plus you can get an extra email address, free Google drive etc.

You can switch your UK account to another region but you'll lose any credit you have on it plus any geo-restricted UK content that way including movies or TV shows you might have paid for.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

It could be a parking thing although DoorDash don't seem to have an issue with it and brought the food right to my front door. Unfortunately they decided not to knock for some reason so I didn't realise it was there until I received a delivery confirmation SMS and opened the door on the off-chance.

I did use Voila because they had some offers on that grabbed my attention. As a supposed-to-be mature professional in my 30's I could pretend it wasn't the BOGOF offer on chocolate milk that initially grabbed my intention but I would be lying through my back teeth.

I grabbed a $6.99 delivery slot though. It's only a dollar under the normal rate but it's a principal thing really. In the UK most of them either won't charge you or will only charge you very little if you order over £50.
sorry, reread your post and you mentioned Voila! Good experience using them?
Old Feb 12th 2021, 3:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Not sure, I chose a cheap slot so they're not due to arrive to me until 9-10pm today. Siouxie and JG both recommended them though.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Not sure, I chose a cheap slot so they're not due to arrive to me until 9-10pm today. Siouxie and JG both recommended them though.

Voila and Gateway are best IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.