Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Off Topic Posts From Coronavirus Thread: Proms/PHDs etc

Off Topic Posts From Coronavirus Thread: Proms/PHDs etc

Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic Posts From Coronavirus Thread: Proms/PHDs etc

Originally Posted by Shard
What's her useless PhD subject?

I always feel a bit sorry for the proverbial barrista with a PhD. Although, there is the irony that if they are astute enough to get a PhD, they ought to be aware of whether it has any relevance to employability. The university system is partially to blame too, it has its own vested interests in churning out PhDs.

Yesterday, I was reading a thesis on the portrayal of trans identity in children's literature (with specific reference to the works of David Walliams) and I thought "this author is a person who should not be allowed to serve coffee". otoh I think barristers should be educated, the issue there is more likely to be lack of worldliness.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:46 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yesterday, I was reading a thesis on the portrayal of trans identity in children's literature (with specific reference to the works of David Walliams) and I thought "this author is a person who should not be allowed to serve coffee". otoh I think barristers should be educated, the issue there is more likely to be lack of worldliness.
What did the thesis conclude?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What did the thesis conclude?
That Walliams is a TERF. Worse, he's an effeminate straight man and so a buggerer of stereotypes.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

What's her useless PhD subject?

I always feel a bit sorry for the proverbial barrista with a PhD. Although, there is the irony that if they are astute enough to get a PhD, they ought to be aware of whether it has any relevance to employability. The university system is partially to blame too, it has its own vested interests in churning out PhDs.
Totally agree..so many Phd candidates specialization makes them very unemployable in the non academic world and they tend to gravitate to academics....I have little sympathy for baristas with Phd's...they should have had the smarts to see the writing on the wall that their doctorate had little relevance other than in research/academics.

I'd like to know how many Phd candidates fail at the final hurdle..very few I would think.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 12:10 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Totally agree..so many Phd candidates specialization makes them very unemployable in the non academic world and they tend to gravitate to academics....I have little sympathy for baristas with Phd's...they should have had the smarts to see the writing on the wall that their doctorate had little relevance other than in research/academics.

I'd like to know how many Phd candidates fail at the final hurdle..very few I would think.
I do have sympathy and I don't at the same time. On the one hand, it must be harrowing to dedicate years of your life to something and then never actually be able to practise it. On the other hand, when I've taken evening courses with people and I've had to pay whereas they've gotten it for free because I battled my way through computer science whilst they took a fine arts degree and then ended up working in a bottom end call centre job, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic Posts From Coronavirus Thread: Proms/PHDs etc

Of the 30 or so people I know who I know have PhDs, probably about half are in some sort of academic role - in university or school settings. They include three or four PhDs in music, which one might think is a pretty esoteric subject likely to lead to the "barista lifestyle" but all are gainfully employed (or self-employed, as the case may be). The rest are in industry - at a previous job, in a workforce of around 130 people or so, there were at least a dozen PhDs in various engineering, electronics and communications disciplines, several of whom had focused their doctoral research on the application of technology that they used every day in their job. Another handful are in pharmaceutical research and development roles, where their academic knowledge is used daily.

None of the baristas at the coffee shop near my office is, as far as I'm aware, a PhD, or a doctoral candidate; one is putting herself through high school alongside her daughter, as she never had the chance to complete her formal education in her country of origin. Another couple are undergrad students at UTM (University of Toronto Mississauga) and work shifts around their class schedules. One more is studying for his MBA, another for her masters in fine art at OCAD. I don't think any of them anticipate being a barista for ever, but the franchisee at this place understands that and is happy to work her shift roster around classes and assignments.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A few years ago I was interviewig to fill some positions on my team, and my employer set "having a bachelor's degree" as one of the base level requirements. I struggled to find enough people to interview based on their applications and résumés, as easily half of them couldn't string words together to make a grammatical sentence. Most of the interviews did not go well, and the hiring process became an almost continous grind. One of the batches of applicants I offered interviews to were holders of MBAs - I hoped that they would have been better edicated and more useful. They weren't! So I added "MBA" to the list of qualities that had no predictive value on how an applicant might perform in their interview.

In the end I mostly ended up hiring people who were "sharp" - bright, and inquisitive, and willing to learn, because I very soon discovered that the people I thought I was looking for didn't really exist.

I did find one stunningly good applicant who was working to complete his PhD, but his skills were a much better fit for another team and I was able to get another manager to interview him, which led to a job offer.
That reminds me of a female that I had to train to take over my receptionist / secretary of a small Estate Agency position when I left the UK to move to Hong Kong back in the late 70's. She was a professional student - in her 30's with a few degrees to her name but had never had a job (Mumsy paid for everything). I was trying to teach her how to use a very simple 4 line 10 extension 'switchboard' - of which only 2 lines and 4 extensions were operative - she could not grasp it, even after a week of continuous instruction, she had not one iota of common sense or 'nous'. She would never in a million years have been able to operate the 10 x 50 Dolls eye switchboard that I had worked on after 1 hours training when I worked for Bristol City Council one year.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 8th 2020 at 12:48 am.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That Walliams is a TERF. Worse, he's an effeminate straight man and so a buggerer of stereotypes.
Sorry, TERF is beyond my 20th century education? Something trans presumably.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That reminds me of a female that I had to train to take over my receptionist / secretary of a small Estate Agency position when I left the UK to move to Hong Kong back in the late 70's. She was a professional student - in her 30's with a few degree to her name but had never had a job (Mumsy paid for everything). I was trying to teach her how to use a very simple 4 line 10 extension 'switchboard' - of which only 2 lines and 4 extensions were operative - she could not grasp it, even after a week of continuous instruction, she had not one iota of common sense or 'nous'. She would never in a million years have been able to operate the 10 x 50 Dolls eye switchboard that I had worked on after 1 hours training when I worked for Bristol City Council one year. ...
Maybe that is why some of my colleagues are astonished that I will undertake substantial tasks around the house and yard - I rewired most of my house in London, have replumbed most of the water supply lines in a home in the US, have pulled up and replaced the bathroom floor (not the tiles/ vinyl, I mean "ripped up the plywood, down to the joists"), and then installed a new bath and fitted the toilet. I have hung interior doors and installed hinges and knob where there was no previous door, have hung screen doors, installed a fully switched under- and over-cabinet light system in the kitchen, demolished two chimneys and patched the roof, installed a couple of thousand square feet of traditional nail-down hardwood floor (which a professional flooring contractor asked who had installed it for me! ), built and roofed a mini-barn, I have a pro-grade chainsaw and have felled mature trees that are 90ft/ 27m tall, I am currently digging and laying a drain, etc, etc. None of this is rocket science! .... Though the tree felling can be, er, exciting.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 7th 2020 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, TERF is beyond my 20th century education? Something trans presumably.
Trans-exclusionary Radical Feminist.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:54 pm
Yo

Trans-exclusionary Radical Feminist.
Ah ok. JK Rowling, perhaps.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:57 pm

Ah ok. JK Rowling, perhaps.
Yes, from what I have heard recently.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that is why some of my colleagues are astonished that I will undertake substantial tasks around the house and yard - I rewired most of my house in London, have replumbed most of the water supply lines in a home in the US, have pulled up and replaced the bathroom floor (not the tiles/ vinyl, I mean "ripped up the plywood, down to the joists"), and then installed a new bath and fitted the toilet. I have hung interior doors and installed hinges and knob where there was no previous door, have hung screen doors, installed a fully switched under- and over-cabinet light system in the kitchen, demolished two chimneys and patched the roof, installed a couple of thousand square feet of traditional nail-down hardwood floor (which a professional flooring contractor asked who had installed it for me! ), built and roofed a mini-barn, I have a pro-grade chainsaw and have felled mature trees that are 90ft/ 27m tall, I am currently digging and laying a drain, etc, etc. None of this is rocket science! .... Though the tree felling can be, er, exciting.
Feel like coming to Ottawa and doing a few 'odd jobs' here I'll supply the IPA.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:07 pm
Yo

I don't have the rocket sciencery of Pulaski, but I'd be happy to assist with IPA.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:14 pm

A supply of IPA is very tempting, .... I'll get back to you when I have cleared my current list of waiting projects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.