Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Occupy Uprising....

The Occupy Uprising....

Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Occupy Uprising....

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's fair enough. But viewing the wider canvas rather than the usual suspects portrayed in the media, this lot don't even seem to want media attention. Nor, I suspect do they want to sully themselves by tactics such as someone above mentioned of "protesting" outside of politicians' offices. Fat lot of good that does.

Everyone is on about social media revolutions and uprisings and such, but we'll see how it develops. I have an open mind on this.
I'm generally supportive. People have been ripped off and they are right to be angry - where this goes and whether or not the movement gets co-opted we shall see.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, don't swallow that crap. They're out for reducing the obscene income and wealth gaps which exist today and not for doing that by handouts to the great unwashed.
I'm not bloody taking a paycut for anybody
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Most media coverage so far has been to make these people look like crazies. It's quite easy to control the narrative like this because there are plenty of crazy people there to interview - and they are much more interesting than normal people who are simply pissed off with being stolen from.
That's the problem the left has always faced. There are so many problems with capitalism and the corporate democratic polity that it easy for the media to portray this into an uncoordinated message, while the right simply reacts negatively to progressivism and unfortunately its easy to appear coherent and pointed.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That's the problem the left has always faced. There are so many problems with capitalism and the corporate democratic polity that it easy for the media to portray this into an uncoordinated message, while the right simply reacts negatively to progressivism and unfortunately its easy to appear coherent and pointed.
I thought you'd be along soon.

I don't disagree with you, but I'm not at all sure that (again in the wider canvas) this movement is actually of the left. I've heard analogies to the rise of the Tea Party down there, but that doesn't seem valid either.

We'll have to see (as both I and Alan have agreed), and I don't have a clue how this might turn out. I noted on an earlier thread you mentioned May 68 etc., but that doesn't seem to me to fit either. Whatever these people are, they're not for the most part Marxists (of any flavour). So far they just seem angry and rather desperate for a society which gives a shit about ordinary people.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree with you, but I'm not at all sure that (again in the wider canvas) this movement is actually of the left. I've heard analogies to the rise of the Tea Party down there, but that doesn't seem valid either.

We'll have to see (as both I and Alan have agreed), and I don't have a clue how this might turn out. I noted on an earlier thread you mentioned May 68 etc., but that doesn't seem to me to fit either. Whatever these people are, they're not for the most part Marxists (of any flavour). So far they just seem angry and rather desperate for a society which gives a shit about ordinary people.

There is a frustrating duality between individual agency and systemic control. One the one hand individuals are free to choose certain variables within their lives and yet they are subject to the power of systems. When those systems have problems, ie economic depressions, people become frustrated and angry as they perceive the balance of that duality shifting to the systemic control side.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a frustrating duality between individual agency and systemic control. One the one hand individuals are free to choose certain variables within their lives and yet they are subject to the power of systems. When those systems have problems, ie economic depressions, people become frustrated and angry as they perceive the balance of that duality shifting to the systemic control side.
Yeah, but you know how it is. There's one set of rules for systemic control and another set for us, I mean our individual agencies.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:09 pm

Yeah, but you know how it is. There's one set of rules for systemic control and another set for us, I mean our individual agencies.
I didn't see too many global anti-capital demonstrations when people seemed to be winning the speculation in tech-industry in the late 1990s.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:20 pm

I didn't see too many global anti-capital demonstrations when people seemed to be winning the speculation in tech-industry in the late 1990s.
Nope. Just like people weren't complaining when the value of their houses was going up crazy amounts every year up till 2008 because of stupidly cheap credit. I still reckon that people not complaining doesn't excuse fraud and malfeasance.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:24 pm

Nope. Just like people weren't complaining when the value of their houses was going up crazy amounts every year up till 2008 because of stupidly cheap credit. I still reckon that people not complaining doesn't excuse fraud and malfeasance.
No of course not. I'm quite in favour of a bit of a sit-in, its quite a laugh, especially when you can pop into the pub for swift pint when it starts to rain.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:36 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

They are all upset because they were advised to do media and sociology degrees and can't get a job. Perhaps if they had done math or chemistry or even engineering, they would be too busy driving to work in their Mercs.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:42 pm

No of course not. I'm quite in favour of a bit of a sit-in, its quite a laugh, especially when you can pop into the pub for swift pint when it starts to rain.
You know, I've never been on a sit-in. I've done a few protest marches, but never actually occupied anything. I'm not going to start at robson square though - those people look like hippy freaks on TV.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:55 pm

You know, I've never been on a sit-in. I've done a few protest marches, but never actually occupied anything. I'm not going to start at robson square though - those people look like hippy freaks on TV.
I strolled down on Saturday to have a peak but only made it as far as the Sutton Place's bar.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoris
They are all upset because they were advised to do media and sociology degrees and can't get a job. Perhaps if they had done math or chemistry or even engineering, they would be too busy driving to work in their Mercs.
I have a D. Phil. in chemistry and 40 years of internationally recognized research.

I drive a Hyundai Elantra.

Try again.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:03 pm

Whoever is selling those Vendetta masks is making a killing.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:04 pm

Whoever is selling those Vendetta masks is making a killing.
Is that the guy fawkes one that anons use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.