British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   OAS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/oas-947713/)

shelley748 Apr 13th 2023 3:29 pm

OAS

Hi there

Hubby put in his papers last September for his OAS (65 in June 2023)- we have heard nothing and there was no way to send the papers via registered mail- has anyone any experience of how long this takes please and thanks?

BristolUK Apr 13th 2023 4:11 pm

Re: OAS

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 13186077)
Hi there

Hubby put in his papers last September for his OAS (65 in June 2023)- we have heard nothing and there was no way to send the papers via registered mail- has anyone any experience of how long this takes please and thanks?

Yes...last year. Thread here.
My application was processed 14-15 months after I applied. :ohmy:

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that's how long it normally takes, it might be that they filed it away until my 65th came around and then started it.
I was already on Survivors OAS so they already had information on my qualifying years and it should have been a straightforward process. But somehow it wasn't.

Hopefully it's better now. :fingerscrossed:

Just read my posts on the thread - there are a few diversions.

CanadaJimmy Apr 13th 2023 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 13186077)
Hi there

Have you tried checking your My Service Canada account to see if there is any status updates on there?

shelley748 Apr 13th 2023 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 13186104)
Have you tried checking your My Service Canada account to see if there is any status updates on there?

I dont think hubby is set up for that

shelley748 Apr 13th 2023 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13186093)
Yes...last year. Thread here.
My application was processed 14-15 months after I applied. :ohmy:

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that's how long it normally takes, it might be that they filed it away until my 65th came around and then started it.
I was already on Survivors OAS so they already had information on my qualifying years and it should have been a straightforward process. But somehow it wasn't.

Hopefully it's better now. :fingerscrossed:

Just read my posts on the thread - there are a few diversions.

thanks I will take a look

BristolUK Apr 13th 2023 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 13186104)

This time last year

Service Canada has this nice little feature where you can check the status of applications. Sadly it doesn't show a status. Not even that it's been received. According to the information there that's because nothing shows until they've processed something.
Maybe that's different now.

BristolUK Mar 8th 2024 7:37 pm

I'm not sure when this changed but previously Service Canada had "tables" where you looked up which income bands your income came within and then sub income bands. Not difficult but it required concentration.

Crucially it was only any good if you'd done a full 40 years in Canada. And then, since you couldn't identify your likely OAS level you had no chance of finding a GIS level either.

Well now there's an estimator that allows you to enter your other income and to say how many years you've been in Canada.

Not only does it then come up with the OAS amount, it throws in any applicable GIS figure too. So much easier than running your fingers along the page. :thumbup:

Old Age Security Benefits Estimator