British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Oakville neighbourhoods (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/oakville-neighbourhoods-912907/)

Diana1 May 18th 2018 2:51 am

Oakville neighbourhoods

Hi,
We are moving from Cambridge, UK. Looking for a property to rent in Oakville. After learning that most high schools are good, we are now trying to decide about the neighbourhood. Our budget is $2300-2500 for a 3 bedroom house. Any comments about West Oak Trail Community? We also looked around TA Blakelock high school, but the houses are rather small and prices for buying are too high.
Many thanks!

Siouxie May 18th 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Oakville neighbourhoods

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Singl...hanged=&ajax=1

https://www.zolo.ca/oakville-real-es...est-oak-trails

These might help with the housing search :)

Reviews of WestOak Trail Community - https://www.goodalemillerteam.com/en...westoak-trails / West Oak Trails Community

HGerchikov May 19th 2018 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Diana1 (Post 12501433)
Hi,
We are moving from Cambridge, UK. Looking for a property to rent in Oakville. After learning that most high schools are good, we are now trying to decide about the neighbourhood. Our budget is $2300-2500 for a 3 bedroom house. Any comments about West Oak Trail Community? We also looked around TA Blakelock high school, but the houses are rather small and prices for buying are too high.
Many thanks!

West Oak Trails is a popular area with families with lots of different types of housing from townhouses to large detached homes. It's has a fairly typical suburb feel. People that I know that live there seem to like it. The area around Blakelock is an older neighbourhood with larger lots that are being bought for bigger houses to be built. Rentals around there will either be an original small bungalow or side split (possibly in dubious condition) or a much larger new build which will be out of budget.

DandNHill May 19th 2018 6:39 pm

Does it need to be Oakville?

Diana1 May 21st 2018 1:07 am

Ideally Oakville or around it. What did you have in mind? Thanks.

Lichisadave May 21st 2018 4:46 pm

Hi we have just secured a property for our arrival in June. We looked at Oakville then moved our search over to Milton just because you seem to get more house for your money there. But the house we actually got is in West mount Oakville close to schools shops and trails. We had a really good realtor who helped us secure the home, the rental process is different than over here and we had to bid for the house we got because there where 2 other families interested as well as us. I think you should be able to find something within your budget in Oakville. Try the links on the previous post . Good luck with you search.

Diana1 May 21st 2018 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Lichisadave (Post 12503118)
Hi we have just secured a property for our arrival in June. We looked at Oakville then moved our search over to Milton just because you seem to get more house for your money there. But the house we actually got is in West mount Oakville close to schools shops and trails. We had a really good realtor who helped us secure the home, the rental process is different than over here and we had to bid for the house we got because there where 2 other families interested as well as us. I think you should be able to find something within your budget in Oakville. Try the links on the previous post . Good luck with you search.

Thanks. Do you have high school age children? If so, will they go to Garth Webb? Which schools have you considered?

Lichisadave May 21st 2018 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Diana1 (Post 12503144)
Thanks. Do you have high school age children? If so, will they go to Garth Webb? Which schools have you considered?

Hi my daughter is in year 8 here so will go into grade 8 over there (last year of elementary) Garth Webb will be her high school tho. Generally it is said that all schools are good over there.

Diana1 May 22nd 2018 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Lichisadave (Post 12503153)
Hi my daughter is in year 8 here so will go into grade 8 over there (last year of elementary) Garth Webb will be her high school tho. Generally it is said that all schools are good over there.

Thx. Good luck with your move.

Diana1 May 22nd 2018 10:15 am

Any parents with children at the Abbey Park high school in Oakville? It is ranked high, but some inside info would be very helpful. THANKS!

HGerchikov May 22nd 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Diana1 (Post 12503508)
Any parents with children at the Abbey Park high school in Oakville? It is ranked high, but some inside info would be very helpful. THANKS!

My son's girlfriend plus several of his friends went there. It's a good school. The system is different here though, in the UK if a school gets a good combination of senior staff they tend to stay at that school for years with a positive effect, here the staff get moved regularly between schools, so a great Principal this year could easily be switched out for a weaker one next year or vice versa.

DandNHill May 22nd 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lichisadave (Post 12503153)

Grade 8 here is year 9 in England. So if in year 8 in England she would go in to grade 7. Although the intake is based on dates of birth from Jan to Dec rather than Sept to Aug.