Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Non-residents - how much DIY are you permitted to do on your own property?

Non-residents - how much DIY are you permitted to do on your own property?

Old May 18th 2018, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

mightbethinkingaboutit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-residents - how much DIY are you permitted to do on your own property?

Hi, thinking of buying a holiday/investment property in NS. Can anybody advise whether as a non-resident I will be permitted to do any/all of the required renovation/decoration work myself? Thanks.
Old May 18th 2018, 4:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-residents - how much DIY are you permitted to do on your own property?

Originally Posted by mightbethinkingaboutit
Hi, thinking of buying a holiday/investment property in NS. Can anybody advise whether as a non-resident I will be permitted to do any/all of the required renovation/decoration work myself? Thanks.
Anything you like, subject to the constraints limiting anyone; need to comply to code, need for inspections and so on. It may be that the work requires a building permit and that it's a bother to obtain the permit from abroad but that's an inconvenience, not a limitation.
Old May 18th 2018, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-residents - how much DIY are you permitted to do on your own property?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Anything you like, subject to the constraints limiting anyone; need to comply to code, need for inspections and so on. It may be that the work requires a building permit and that it's a bother to obtain the permit from abroad but that's an inconvenience, not a limitation.
if he was to rent it out or flip it would that not be considered a business and trigger work permit requirements for doing the work? I have no idea just putting it out there.
Old May 18th 2018, 4:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov

if he was to rent it out or flip it would that not be considered a business and trigger work permit requirements for doing the work? I have no idea just putting it out there.
I suppose it doesn't really matter if the government would consider that to be doing work that would otherwise be performed by a resident. If the neighbours did, and complained, that would be the path to a lot of misery. Best not involve income.
Old May 18th 2018, 5:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One of those Border service shows featured a bloke coming to visit a girlfriend and during the visit he was going to help out with some building work on her or her parents' house.

He was told he couldn't do that 'work' on his visitor's visa. Would this restriction also not apply to the "visitor" OP? Or is there an exemption working on one's own property?
Old May 18th 2018, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Working your way through all the local regulations, getting planning permission, approvals, inspections etc etc can be a minefield, and take ages to work through. Ordinary folk often find it disconcerting and hard to understand.

The OP may find that professionals have to be hired to do lots of the work ......... eg electrical, plumbing. Structural changes will have to be approved, and size of any extensions approved and inspected.
Old May 18th 2018, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
One of those Border service shows featured a bloke coming to visit a girlfriend and during the visit he was going to help out with some building work on her or her parents' house.

He was told he couldn't do that 'work' on his visitor's visa. Would this restriction also not apply to the "visitor" OP? Or is there an exemption working on one's own property?
If he owns the property and works on it even if visiting then no work permit would be required. Although it would be considered as work as per Reg 2 he is not paying himself or expected to receive renumeration for the work being done.
Old May 19th 2018, 12:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Righto
Old May 20th 2018, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get mixed up between a work permit (authorization to work in Canada) and building permit (permission to do renos)

I have found that Canada (Manitoba and Ontario) is pretty much the same as UK - You can do whatever you like with or without permission, but if the building inspector finds out you've done it without the right documentation then the effects can be dramatic and expensive.

I have no experience what so ever on GAS installations / repairs

Electrical is totally separate from any other works and needs ESA approval - You can do work in your own home but not in someone elses (unless you are licensed as an electrician) - Inspections and site visits are covered by your initial application and payment

City and Township building permits cost %% of total cost of work and you need to estimate in advance - You can get very specific permits such as "Install 27' above ground swimming pool" ($50) through to "Full Reno Permit - to include structure, plumbing and heating" ($250)

I have always gone for a full reno permit as the houses I have bought in Canada dictated that.

As with UK - The building inspector is a brilliant, intelligent, helpful, kind gentleman and treat him like that you'll get on great - Tell him how wonderful his ideas were and wonder why you didn't think of that !!

I always get the inspector in and ask for his input on the next part of my project and when passing each step outline what I am about to do next ............ I've never had an issue.

All the basics remain the same as UK - Waste water needs to run down hill and structure needs to stay Up - Simple really
Old May 21st 2018, 10:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If he owns the property and works on it even if visiting then no work permit would be required. Although it would be considered as work as per Reg 2 he is not paying himself or expected to receive renumeration for the work being done.
I don't quite follow that statement, I was under the impression you needed work authorization if you were doing more than simply maintenance. Not that it really matters a toss as I don't suppose CBSA are waiting in the bushes but someone did mention an episode of Border Security and I remember that one too. If you enter for the purpose of making an improvement to your property, then you can obviously resell it for more, so that is an impact on the Canadian economy and not de minimus.