Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Nov 8 who is heading south?

Nov 8 who is heading south?

Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nov 8 who is heading south?

Accepted types of test accepted by CBSA

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...pre-entry-test
  • Rapid antigen tests aren't accepted.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought a PCR test was still required for entry into Canada. If so is this free in the US? I assume it’s the rapid test that is free…which is not acceptable for Canada.

I think they only ask for your PR card at the land crossing…but we always use NEXUS. We always carry US PP, PR and NEXUS cards…just in case. Anyway I can’t see why you can’t present an expired US PP with your PR card.

They offer these 3 types of testing free at Wal-Greens, depending on state some states also give free PCR tests for any reason to anyone who asks, they just wont gurantee the results will be returned in time for your travel needs.

For Wal-Greens though:

Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR): The RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel Test - NAAT is used to detect genetic material (mRNA) of the coronavirus and will be sent to a laboratory to determine results in a variable amount of time.

The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) NAAT test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

The government website lists both NAAT & RT-PCR test as acceptable to enter Canada.

You do need a vehicle though according to Wal-Greens website as walk ups are not accepted, but could just take an Uber I image or rent a car or in my case, I would use my moms car.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 11th 2021 at 8:42 pm. Reason: copy and paste didn't work first time around.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It seems an expired PR card is acceptable at land crossings.
It is provided you don't mind possibly waiting for several hours for checks to be conducted and then provide mountains of paperwork at a later date to convince CBSA that you meet the residency obligation. Don't forget that we operate 24/7/365 and we have all the time in the world do you?
Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It is provided you don't mind possibly waiting for several hours for checks to be conducted and then provide mountains of paperwork at a later date to convince CBSA that you meet the residency obligation. Don't forget that we operate 24/7/365 and we have all the time in the world do you?
I provided a mole hill. But my card wasn't expired, but I had spent 10 months outside of Canada, but my mole hill evidence of pay stubs and tax filings and leases for rental units was sufficient to satisfy, but I suppose maybe having a valid PR card that had been renewed just 2 years prior maybe helped, I dunno.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 11th 2021 at 9:02 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 2:29 am
Account Closed

I just had someone I know on FB message me and they got back with no issue with the free Wal-Greens test flying back into Canada, and was indeed 100% free no cost and quick turn around time, only a couple hours he said.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 12th 2021 at 2:32 am.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 2:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just had someone I know on FB message me and they got back with no issue with the free Wal-Greens test flying back into Canada, and was indeed 100% free no cost and quick turn around time, only a couple hours he said.
what type of test did he take?
Old Nov 12th 2021, 3:07 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just need to find the nearest Walgreens to the land border then…

i and I agree with others that I would happy to pay the $50 rapid test if Canada would accept it!

Old Nov 12th 2021, 4:42 am
Account Closed

what type of test did he take?
(POC) NAAT test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours. <<<<<< that one

NAAT test is on the list of approved tests on the government website.

News article on it too.

CBC article on it

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 12th 2021 at 4:52 am.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 4:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This might be of use
https://flytrippers.com/getting-covi...for-canadians/

Not many people know that free PCR tests are easy to find in most US states, but even fewer know that there is an even better option than PCRs: NAATs. That’s another type of test that is much more convenient.

These are accepted to enter Canada, and the results come in so much faster!
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

Accepted types of molecular tests

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.
*(further list available with dropdown - Other acceptable types of tests)

and

Short trips that are less than 72 hours

Canadian citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons travelling to the United States are allowed to do their pre-entry molecular test before they leave Canada.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 5:42 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

"As of Nov. 30, fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents who are visiting the United States for less than 72 hours won't need a costly molecular test for COVID-19 in order to return home."

Good news for short trips.