Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Nov 8 who is heading south?

Nov 8 who is heading south?

Old Oct 21st 2021, 3:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nov 8 who is heading south?

Originally Posted by Gozit
Don't know. Guess I got lucky. I renewed my membership in Jan 2021 and at that time it was allowing me to book an interview for Nov so I did.

COVID-19 border restrictions are likely to remain in place for the next decade with the way things are going, I know that's all the limited info the Cdn gov't has been willing to provide on it but it isn't helpful. Does the land border being open to vax'd travelers still count as "COVID-19 border restrictions"? Because again it seems like for or against mandatory vax it will be mandatory to cross the border for a long time.

I keep hearing of zoom interviews being available but like becki when i go to reschedule my interview there are no spots available anywhere.
Have you received a new NEXUS card? I applied approx a year ago, received an email saying there are delays and that I can use the old card until the new card is issued. Hubby applied for his about six months before me, took best part of a year before it arrived.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you received a new NEXUS card? I applied approx a year ago, received an email saying there are delays and that I can use the old card until the new card is issued. Hubby applied for his about six months before me, took best part of a year before it arrived.
No, they want a renewal interview from me. Presumably because I was 17 when I first got the card. So my assumption is I won't get a new card until I complete the interview
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yeah i've seen that...it keeps saying no spots available when I look. It says that until 2023 so I assume I haven't been selected to be part of the pilot.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I save money and time not getting Nexus by just planning my flights and border arrival for off peak, most of the time the Nexus lines are longer with no wait on the regular lines when I cross.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I save money and time not getting Nexus by just planning my flights and border arrival for off peak, most of the time the Nexus lines are longer with no wait on the regular lines when I cross.
I have always found NEXUS much quicker at airports. Crossing by land we use a NEXUS only crossing. More or less drive straight through there.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No, they want a renewal interview from me. Presumably because I was 17 when I first got the card. So my assumption is I won't get a new card until I complete the interview
I seem to remember your renewal was age related. Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have always found NEXUS much quicker at airports. Crossing by land we use a NEXUS only crossing. More or less drive straight through there.
I typically arrive at 11pm when flying into YVR so it's dead a cemetary at customs and there is never a line, plane to curbside with only a carryon typically in under 10 minutes.

As long as you avoid arriving into Vancouver during the Asia and European rush, it's pretty dead international arrivals wise, just the 10am to 2pm that really gets super busy and even then it's mostly just in the summer months, Vancouver isn't a very popular destination other than cruise season, skiing will never replace what cruises bring in flight wise.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 21st 2021 at 6:25 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Same here. I don't cross by land super often, I got it to save time at the airport. To me its worth the $50/5 years, and with the right credit card you can get the fee waived as well. So it's essentially free.

I seem to remember your renewal was age related. Thanks
That's my assumption, I didn't get any concrete info from them as to why, I will ask the officers at interview for curiosity sake
Old Oct 21st 2021, 7:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. I don't cross by land super often, I got it to save time at the airport. To me its worth the $50/5 years, and with the right credit card you can get the fee waived as well. So it's essentially free.

That's my assumption, I didn't get any concrete info from them as to why, I will ask the officers at interview for curiosity sake
Perhaps that you graduated from school/college - working since your previous application

Why do I need an interview? I’m Renewing!

You will most likely be required to attend an interview if something in your life has changed between your last NEXUS application and your current one.

The following life events could cause an interview:
  • you got married and changed your name (though you should inform NEXUS in person once you change your other IDs so your card can reflect the name change)
  • you changed your name for other reasons (again, you should inform the NEXUS the program in person once you have changed your other IDs)
  • you changed jobs or retired (or you lost your job)
  • you graduated from school and started a new job
  • you moved provinces or states.
Any of these changes could lead to you having to attend an interview for your renewal application.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 21st 2021 at 7:48 pm. Reason: sp.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I typically arrive at 11pm when flying into YVR so it's dead a cemetary at customs and there is never a line, plane to curbside with only a carryon typically in under 10 minutes.

As long as you avoid arriving into Vancouver during the Asia and European rush, it's pretty dead international arrivals wise, just the 10am to 2pm that really gets super busy and even then it's mostly just in the summer months, Vancouver isn't a very popular destination other than cruise season, skiing will never replace what cruises bring in flight wise.
If I am traveling I prefer to leave in the morning. I hate hanging around all day, waiting to go to the airport. Therefore I have arrived at YVR several times mid morning. Last time I arrived late at night from NZ. NEXUS has always been quicker…even sometimes when the machine will not work and you have to go to the NEXUS kiosk.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 9:58 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

same. I’ll always use nexus at land border- even if it’s a long line - it’s super quick because the border officers are not usually asking that many questions compared to regular line ups

when I used to go through without nexus and on a British passport, it was brutal!

If I remember to take the card I’ll use it at the airport as well

Old Oct 28th 2021, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

you might want to double check because I called our local USA border people and they have said Nov 8 is not happening- its been pushed off until Jan 2022
Old Oct 28th 2021, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
you might want to double check because I called our local USA border people and they have said Nov 8 is not happening- its been pushed off until Jan 2022
Seems they’re not aware of this then. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...d-19-pandemic/
Old Oct 30th 2021, 1:23 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I found this:

Land border restrictions for travel to the United States remain in effect through January 21, 2022 and may be extended. Starting on November 8, fully vaccinated foreign travelers with appropriate vaccine-related documentation will be able to travel to the United States across the Northern and Southwest borders with Canada and Mexico. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will be providing further details on what will be required of travelers in the coming days.

From here: https://ca.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-canada-3/
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 1:41 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

According to this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s...ated-1.6233944

CBP confirmed travellers entering by land will not have to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test, but said they should be prepared to verbally attest to their vaccination status, and present their vaccination documentation upon request.

Looking here there is no reference to needing a negative test either, which is good:
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.