Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Nov 8 who is heading south?

Nov 8 who is heading south?

Old Nov 3rd 2021, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nov 8 who is heading south?

Update: Nexus centres remain closed, my Nov. 20 interview was canceled with no available dates to reschedule. My membership has been extended to Jan 29, 2023, which is great but that's still only a year and a bit away...not totally optimistic i'll get an interview by then and I don't love the idea of travelling with an expired card but we'll have to roll the dice I guess.
Old Nov 8th 2021, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Won't be heading south until Canada drops their ridiculous Re-entry test for double vaxxed.
It's crazy that you can take the test in Canada, go off on a 72 hour jolly and return showing your 3 day old test result from Canada.
How much more stupidity are we expected to put up with?
Old Nov 8th 2021, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
Won't be heading south until Canada drops their ridiculous Re-entry test for double vaxxed.
It's crazy that you can take the test in Canada, go off on a 72 hour jolly and return showing your 3 day old test result from Canada.
How much more stupidity are we expected to put up with?
I would be happy if they just accepted the antigen test on return, its cheap and fast in the US, and according to an infectious disease doctor at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, the US policy from a scientific perspective makes more sense than Canada's.

"From the scientific standpoint, the antigen tests make more sense," he said, pointing to the fact antigen tests are done much closer to the time of the crossing. "So I think that the U.S. policy is actually a better one."

Old Nov 8th 2021, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would be happy if they just accepted the antigen test on return, its cheap and fast in the US, and according to an infectious disease doctor at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, the US policy from a scientific perspective makes more sense than Canada's.

"From the scientific standpoint, the antigen tests make more sense," he said, pointing to the fact antigen tests are done much closer to the time of the crossing. "So I think that the U.S. policy is actually a better one."

Yes, this nonsense should be challenged and the test done away with.
It just doesn't make any sense any more.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tested this but heard that if you happen to have had symptoms and been to a covid assessment centre and got a negative test, then decided to go over the border for some shopping and come back that this has been accepted by CBSA
Old Nov 11th 2021, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I haven't tested this but heard that if you happen to have had symptoms and been to a covid assessment centre and got a negative test, then decided to go over the border for some shopping and come back that this has been accepted by CBSA
Well here is your chance to test it out.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well here is your chance to test it out.
Meh...seems kinda pointless when I can get a free one from Walgreens or CVS. I'm not really sure why people in this thread are complaining about $200 tests when there are plenty of free ones available at US pharmacies.

The same tests should be offered for free here IMO.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Meh...seems kinda pointless when I can get a free one from Walgreens or CVS. I'm not really sure why people in this thread are complaining about $200 tests when there are plenty of free ones available at US pharmacies.

Which test are they offering for free?
Old Nov 11th 2021, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Walgreens is offering a rapid ID NOW NAAT-PCR test which is approved to enter Canada. (And I used it last week without issue returning by air.)

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/prom...id-testing.jsp
Old Nov 11th 2021, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well unfortunately the free ones that are available in the US don't help the person who might be just visiting a relative say in Detroit who has travelled from Windsor and only wants to have lunch/supper with them.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well unfortunately the free ones that are available in the US don't help the person who might be just visiting a relative say in Detroit who has travelled from Windsor and only wants to have lunch/supper with them.
True enough.

IMO we should do what the US did - drop testing requirement for land border crossing and keep it for air. It just makes sense to have the rules harmonised at the land border.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
One's good enough to return to Canada.

The US has made getting free COVID tests incredibly easy, no immigration status required, no insurance required, just show up get tested no charge.

I am considering maybe going to see my parents now that travel testing is free, and if I cross via land and fly from Bellingham, no need to pay for a travel in Canada to go to the US.

Just waiting on my passport which is taking forever and then another forever to arrive.

Although the US has told me more than once that since I have a US birth certificate and Canadian PR card that states my nationality, that if I presented myself at a land crossing, that once verified, I would be permitted entry without a passport, but only via land crossing not air.

I just am not 100% sure if I can enter Canada with just my PR card via land crossing?

I have had mixed experiences with CBSA some saying PR card is sufficient, and other officers demanding both passport and PR card so I always normally have both on me, but no sure I want to risk trying to return with just the PR card......but maybe our friendly CBSA dude here can clarify it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 11th 2021 at 7:46 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
One's good enough to return to Canada.

The US has made getting free COVID tests incredibly easy, no immigration status required, no insurance required, just show up get tested no charge.

I am considering maybe going to see my parents now that travel testing is free, and if I cross via land and fly from Bellingham, no need to pay for a travel in Canada to go to the US.

Just waiting on my passport which is taking forever and then another forever to arrive.

Although the US has told me more than once that since I have a US birth certificate and Canadian PR card that states my nationality, that if I presented myself at a land crossing, that once verified, I would be permitted entry without a passport, but only via land crossing not air.

I just am not 100% sure if I can enter Canada with just my PR card via land crossing?

I have had mixed experiences with CBSA some saying PR card is sufficient, and other officers demanding both passport and PR card so I always normally have both on me, but no sure I want to risk trying to return with just the PR card......but maybe our friendly CBSA dude here can clarify it.
I thought a PCR test was still required for entry into Canada. If so is this free in the US? I assume it’s the rapid test that is free…which is not acceptable for Canada.

I think they only ask for your PR card at the land crossing…but we always use NEXUS. We always carry US PP, PR and NEXUS cards…just in case. Anyway I can’t see why you can’t present an expired US PP with your PR card.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 11th 2021 at 8:13 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Valid PR card is all that is needed for land crossing for US citizens.
Old Nov 11th 2021, 8:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Valid PR card is all that is needed for land crossing for US citizens.
It seems an expired PR card is acceptable at land crossings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.