Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:05 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Well it's the last weekend before most of the kids and some of us adults begin our winter term at school etc.....

There are lot of us who have come over in the last 6 months and who have yet to experience the utter delight of the Canadian winter.

Is it true that snot turns in to icicles? You have to buy a snow shovel as soon as they are in the shops? kids have to learn not to touch metal? Hair can snap off? And believe me I have heard some other worrying stuff too!

What with it being the end of the summer now and all, I thought it may be time to broach this point so we can begin to prepare.

So any advice on what to do and what not to do, what are good leisure persuits,kids, driving, cars, clothing and life in general will be warmly welcomed by myself and I am sure many other newbies and wannabes!

And of course there is always the issue of each area can often vary from another in the same province, EG: we are known as the Windy BEs thanks to the crazy winds and chinooks down here (which I have yet to experience) but I know many of you will experience a much harsher winter than we will...

So come on folks tell us your stories, post any pics and give us the benefit of your knowledge, believe me, we will need it!

An autumnal feeling (and rather scared at the thought!)

Mrs Miggins x

Last edited by Mrs Miggins; Aug 31st 2007 at 4:09 am.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:18 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

I'd offer the benefit of my wisdom, but its not nearly near enough winter yet to be wishing it upon ourselves so soon.

...its a beautiful sunny 26+° here today, go enjoy it and stop worrying about winter already!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future
Default Re: NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Well it's the last weekend before most of the kids and some of us adults begin our winter term at school etc.....

There are lot of us who have come over in the last 6 months and who have yet to experience the utter delight of the Canadian winter.

Is it true that snot turns in to icicles? You have to buy a snow shovel as soon as they are in the shops? kids have to learn not to touch metal? Hair can snap off? And believe me I have heard some other worrying stuff too!

What with it being the end of the summer now and all, I thought it may be time to broach this point so we can begin to prepare.

So any advice on what to do and what not to do, what are good leisure persuits,kids, driving, cars, clothing and life in general will be warmly welcomed by myself and I am sure many other newbies and wannabes!

And of course there is always the issue of each area can often vary from another in the same province, EG: we are known as the Windy BEs thanks to the crazy winds and chinooks down here (which I have yet to experience) but I know many of you will experience a much harsher winter than we will...

So come on folks tell us your stories, post any pics and give us the benefit of your knowledge, believe me, we will need it!

Mrs Miggins x
Hi there, we've just joined up and I am glad you are asking this cos its something we have been aware of the winters!! Good weather with you just now though. We are looking at coming to Alberta (job in hospital somewhere there tbc) Whats the thing that struck you about Alberta first?
ta
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Miggins x
It is all true. This is the way to deal with Canada from November until May.
Attached Thumbnails NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!-picture-468.jpg  
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:36 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

hi from steve's oh

yes buy a shovel as soon as its in the store
dont touch metal with wet hands or tungue (a kid thing)
buy your children 2 pair of snow pants that way they have a dry pair
if you can get it a boot dryer to go over a vent in the hall to dry the boots
extra mitts n snow hats
start wearing nylons to keep you warm
in your car keep a lighter or book of matches clean tin can and a candle and if you need any med keep spare at work or in car just in case you cant get home and a blanket in the car
snow boots and small shovel are also good
and remember SLOW DOWN you will get there faster if you leave early and drive slower
also buy little extras each week to help you out you never know when a snow storm will hit
you can freeze milk its taste the same just thaw in the fridge so buy more and freeze it same with bread you can b-b-q in winter so get the gas for it you will never be to far from food that way
keep the kitchen broom handy it cleans the windshield faster and CLEAN THE ROOF OF YOUR CAR OR TRUCK ALSO snow blows and you dont want to be behind it so dont do it to someone else
clean your tail light off so you can be seen
and if you cant see where you are going assume no one else can stay in the middle of the road till you see the other car and alway follow a plow they clear the road
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steved61
keep the kitchen broom handy it cleans the windshield faster and CLEAN THE ROOF OF YOUR CAR OR TRUCK ALSO snow blows and you dont want to be behind it so dont do it to someone else
The key thing there is that the ice comes off in sheets. One went through my windscreen while I was going at 50 mph. That was really quite disconcerting.

Barbecue in winter:
Attached Thumbnails NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!-111_1192.jpg  
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:48 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs Miggins x
No no no no.

Come back and ask us in October or November.

It's already 26C and supposed to go to 30C in the 'Bridge today, go out and enjoy it.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:51 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins;

what are good leisure persuits?

Mrs Miggins x
Winter is an excellent time to take spelling lessons.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:53 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 winters experience

Winter 1 = What is all the fuss about, it's a breeze, much nicer than being rained on everyday and how can it be warm enough for a t.shirt when there is snow on the ground and wow it's just as easy to sweep the snow rather than shovel!

Winter 2 = Corr this has come quick. Don't like this shovelling twice a day lark, going to buy some snowpants to walk the dog (didn't have a dog in winter 1). I can really understand why people go away for a couple of weeks, will this never end? Oh god it's snowing AGAIN. There really were'nt many days we didn't shovel between October and March.

Yes definately get a snow shovel as soon as you see them. I would also buy snoboots PDQ too, I need new ones as they started leaking last year, so am on the look out. And decent Gloves are a must - try to get away with one pair as inevitably they will overstock and they will be dead cheap in February. Oh and you will probably need a hat (toque).

Only wear waterproof mascara on very cold days other wise when you go inside again you will end up looking like Aunt Sally It's really horrible on very cold days when your eyelashes freeze together when you blink, it's like you get sticky eyes. Oh and breathing though your nose might lead to frozen nose hairs! eurgh!

Don't lick lamposts - you might end up staying there. Henry our dog got his tongue stuck to something last year and it bled

You will find outdoor ice rinks pop up all over the place, these are free in Red Deer and I would think it's the same all over. Ice skates can be picked up cheaply from Wal-Mart, Elementry school age kids will need them for school, along with a hockey helmet. I would suggest only going for cheapies the 1st year - your kids may hate skating. I manage to wobble around on the things, but the canadians scare me whizzing past, I just don't know how to stop/turn so if I'm in the way - well you can imagine the mess

Be prepared for the most amazing colours in the sky - blues/purples like you have never seen before WOW!
Attached Thumbnails NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!-winter-house-garages.jpg   NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!-winter-house-front.jpg   NoT long until winter now! Advice for newbies and wannabes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!-winter-house-corner.jpg  
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Miggins x
This will be winter #7 for me... and all i have to say to you is people who say "Not long until winter now" in August .....
get beaten up....
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Winter is an excellent time to take spelling lessons.
quite, unfortunately they don't deliver personality classes though eh?

Mrs Miggins x
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:19 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Winter tires are a good idea too. Hopefully this year won't be like the last!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:24 am

Only wear waterproof mascara on very cold days other wise when you go inside again you will end up looking like Aunt Sally
They are the little gems of info that I am talking about! Thanks piff!

I know it's not a nice thought but for those of us who are new, it is becoming something we have to think about!

Cheers
Mrs Miggins x
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:30 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Miggins x
When you take a shower, make sure you dry your hair before going outside. I went into the restaurant that defrosted me 12 years ago, they are still talking about the crazy brit who came in looking like frosty the snowman. Fame at last.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:30 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

The coldest day we have experienced is -48C (-55C with the wind chill).

It was bright and sunny, and the snow crackled as you walked on it. It was very beautiful.

Driving can be a challenge at that temp., as you get exhaust fog at lights and junctions that can be really thick for a few seconds.

Our hair did not snap. If we had gone out with wet hair, maybe it would have.

You have to respect that sort of temperature though, dress properly and don't let any skin be exposed for too long and its fine.

Winters good as it make you appreciate Summer more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.