Northern Lights?

Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:34 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Northern Lights?

Did you see them last night? Around 11pm Mountain Time.

Awesome!

We've just passed our sixth Canniversary and it's the first time I've seen them!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:58 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Lights?

From Calgary?

Stupid question time: How do you know when they are going to appear or is it just lucky timing?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:59 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, I saw some photos on the Weather Network at lunchtime...they look amazing. Whereabouts are you Alberta Rose? Not sure if we can see them here in Airdrie.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:11 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I will post some photos later. It's the first time we saw them too, we were half asleep, I said to OH, I'll just see if I can see anything but I'm going to bed. Looked out the back door and saw what looked a bit like a faint rainbow. I said I can see them - poor OH was snoring on the couch, we jumped in the car and went to where it was a bit darker. AMAZING! I'll see what the forecast is tonight too...
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:45 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
From Calgary?

Stupid question time: How do you know when they are going to appear or is it just lucky timing?
Originally Posted by snowcandy
Hi, I saw some photos on the Weather Network at lunchtime...they look amazing. Whereabouts are you Alberta Rose? Not sure if we can see them here in Airdrie.
Yes we saw them from Calgary, and they extended about 1/3 or more of the sky in the N-N/E direction.

We didn't know about them, but my son happened to go out to drive g/f home at that time, and they saw them.

I was amazed at how bright they were, given the light pollution from the city, and a really bright moon last night too.

My son said they were due to a high intensity solar flare, and that there is due to be an even higher one on Sunday ... so we'll be out looking tomorrow night.

There are forecasts available .... http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/2011/09/11
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:02 pm
little snowy owl

Time-wise ... I just read that the best time to see them is around midnight local time, and allowing for daylight saving time, I guess that's why we saw them around 11.00pm. They'd disappeared by about 11.15 though ...
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

yep we saw them from kamloops, was very suprised to see them from here
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I will post some photos later.
Oo. Please do. I'd love to see them.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:17 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Time-wise ... I just read that the best time to see them is around midnight local time, and allowing for daylight saving time, I guess that's why we saw them around 11.00pm. They'd disappeared by about 11.15 though ...
We didn't think about the daylight savings, we watched from 1130pm to about 1230am. The intensity level for last night was a 5 (I get email alerts from the link when it's that high), tonight is a 3 and Sunday is a 4 (all out of 9). The pics are not fantastic, but the idea is there
Attached Thumbnails Northern Lights?-2011_0910aurora0909110028.jpg   Northern Lights?-2011_0910aurora0909110027.jpg   Northern Lights?-2011_0910aurora0909110025.jpg  
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:39 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the info Alberta Rose, will be looking out tomorrow night.

We were driving back to Airdrie from Cross Iron Mills last night when our youngest, who is completely colour blind, remarked that the sky was a funny colour. Didn't give it much thought as the sunset has been so pretty last night, it must have been the start of the lights.

Saw our first bear 2 weeeks ago, would be amazing to see these too, fingers crossed!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

We saw them up here in Edmonton. I get the email alerts from Aurora Watch, and I always look out when I get them, but I've only seen the green wavy curtains from a a bit of a distance before.

In our yard on Friday night, we started to see the green appear, and then suddenly, a curtain appeared in the sky over our house, as we were looking directly up in to it, it seemed like the aurora was bursting open.

It was like a special effect from a movie where the alien ship arrives through a vortex It was so amazing it was totally overwhelming. The colours were moving so fast, I've never seen anything like it.

I was so glad I'd dragged the whole family out on to the deck when I first saw the aurora appearing, as I don't think they could possibly appreciate what I was talking about unless they'd been there, it was pretty mind blowing.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:29 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We saw them up here in Edmonton. I get the email alerts from Aurora Watch, and I always look out when I get them, but I've only seen the green wavy curtains from a a bit of a distance before.

In our yard on Friday night, we started to see the green appear, and then suddenly, a curtain appeared in the sky over our house, as we were looking directly up in to it, it seemed like the aurora was bursting open.

It was like a special effect from a movie where the alien ship arrives through a vortex It was so amazing it was totally overwhelming. The colours were moving so fast, I've never seen anything like it.

I was so glad I'd dragged the whole family out on to the deck when I first saw the aurora appearing, as I don't think they could possibly appreciate what I was talking about unless they'd been there, it was pretty mind blowing.
Did you get all different colours? ... we only saw green, and we didn't have time to drive beyond the city to look at them in the relative darkness. Must've been awesome up in Edmonton.

I've heard that the Elk Island National Park to the east of Edmonton is THE place for aurora watching!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:41 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

aw poo didn't see them last night but have on a couple of occassions here before (just north of Stettler) - and like you Rose, only the green.

Very pretty though
Old Sep 12th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get all different colours? ... we only saw green, and we didn't have time to drive beyond the city to look at them in the relative darkness. Must've been awesome up in Edmonton.

I've heard that the Elk Island National Park to the east of Edmonton is THE place for aurora watching!
We saw all shades of green, and this weird grey colour, it was all moving so fast, it was hard to pin down the colours. (plus my brain was deciding it was all too much to process as I was so blown away)

We live on the edge of town, and it was amazing, but right out away from the city it must have been outstanding.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:23 pm

We saw a couple of tinges of a pinky reddy colour, but only for a second or two, they were mainly green as in my pics though. Too cloudy last night for anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.