Noooo, not bacon!

Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:30 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noooo, not bacon!

Originally Posted by bats
Really? Beef rubbish here, nah it's good stuff. I don't like that corn fed stuff though. Grass all the way.
I suppose that depends on what you were used to in the UK.

I had a friend who was a beef farmer in a little village in the Derbyshire hills and I drove past their lovely, grass-fed cows every day.

The meat was properly butchered and aged, full of flavour and with a beautiful soft but meaty texture. When you cooked a steak or a rib of beef, the fat simply became crispy like beautiful, beefy bubbles of taste which melted in the mouth!
I have never tasted anything ever remotely as good here.

I was very disappointed after all the hype about Alberta beef when I had it.
The fat is just as wet, flaccid and well, fatty as supermarket beef in the UK and the meat itself lacks flavour and the texture is a bit flabby, too.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:32 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Eh? Perhaps I've misread your post, but what is eco-friendly about methane. It's a greenhouse gas 20X more potent than CO2.
You are supposed to burn it for fuel - haven't you seen Thunderdome ?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
I suppose that depends on what you were used to in the UK.

I had a friend who was a beef farmer in a little village in the Derbyshire hills and I drove past their lovely, grass-fed cows every day.

The meat was properly butchered and aged, full of flavour and with a beautiful soft but meaty texture. When you cooked a steak or a rib of beef, the fat simply became crispy like beautiful, beefy bubbles of taste which melted in the mouth!
I have never tasted anything ever remotely as good here.

I was very disappointed after all the hype about Alberta beef when I had it.
The fat is just as wet, flaccid and well, fatty as supermarket beef in the UK and the meat itself lacks flavour and the texture is a bit flabby, too.
Snotty cow.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:42 pm
Island life at last

Snotty cow.
Not snotty, just saying it is a matter of comparison.

Rudeness is not necessary, unless you have nothing more intelligent to say.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:47 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I had always thought that pigs were much better than cows for converting their food into meat - quicker and more efficient and don't need such a posh diet.
I don't think that feeding animals on grass is overly posh?

Our steers were pastured in the summer and fed hay / grain in the winter. It's a pretty standard meal or so I'm led to believe. Maybe we were missing the caviar out of their diet?

I will add we've never kept pigs so I don't know what they eat (although I hear it's pretty much everything?)

Last edited by mandymoochops; Sep 30th 2012 at 9:52 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Not snotty, just saying it is a matter of comparison.

Rudeness is not necessary, unless you have nothing more intelligent to say.
Oh get a grip woman. Saying "it all depends what you are used to" and then prattling on about how you are used to this wonderful stuff from the south slopes of Bakewell where cattle feed on fresh daisies and gold leafed clover?
With the implication that the rest of us ate wet flaccid fatty supermarket beef?

You don't think that sounded rude or snotty??

Last edited by bats; Sep 30th 2012 at 9:53 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Rinzler's. The bacon itself looks nothing special but when you take it out the microwave it's even curled up as if you just grilled it and cut the fat off.
Thanks will investigate
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:56 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I don't think that feeding animals on grass is overly posh?

Our steers were pastured in the summer and fed hay / grain in the winter. It's a pretty standard meal or so I'm led to believe. Maybe we were missing the caviar out of their diet?

I will add we've never kept pigs so I don't knowwhat they eat (although I hear ir's pretty much everything?)
It isn't posh - it is what cows should eat, I would have thought.

I assume one of the things about some beef must be things they add after the animal has been slaughtered.
All I know is that the beef direct from the farm was different and better and it hadn't had anything added to it at all.

Bats, you need to get a life and stop taking comments as a personal insult when none was given or intended.
Don't go into a pub and start drinking pints in case anyone spills any of yours, will you.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:02 pm
limey party pooper

I assume one of the things about some beef must be things they add after the animal has been slaughtered.
All I know is that the beef direct from the farm was different and better and it hadn't had anything added to it at all.

Bats, you need to get a life and stop taking comments as a personal insult when none was given or intended.
Don't go into a pub and start drinking pints in case anyone spills any of yours, will you.
Oh good grief.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:11 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Strictly speaking nothing should be added to beef (maybe salt or sugar), abatoirs apparently commonly use a stretching process electrically to tenderise the meat, however the biggest factor in the meat texture / tenderness is age / breed / sex of animal used, and NOT (as is commonly believed) what the animal is fed on. Beef finished on grain tends to reach slaughter weight quicker - thats all.

Bats does have a life and to my knowledge is way too ladylike to be drinking pints in a pub - though stand to be corrected.

I don't doubt some of your knowledge regarding certain things Helcat - but whenever you comment on a thread about game / wildlife / hunting etc etc - your arguements - although well laid out - are mainly wrong.

And the more stoically you put forward these suggestions, the more silly you sound.

Edited to add that just read that there are vegetable enzymes ans other such scientfic stuff that causes my brain to go into hibernation, again to improve tenderness.

However if you are planning on raising a pig, you may as well raise some beef - you get more of a freezer full at the end of it, calfs are only about $40 to buy anyway

Last edited by mandymoochops; Sep 30th 2012 at 10:20 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Not a problem if you'r married to a pig !
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good grief.
If I may, Crusty, a farmer of my acquiantance, gives good beef:

http://www.pvrbeef.ca/
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:27 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Strictly speaking nothing should be added to beef (maybe salt or sugar), abatoirs apparently commonly use a stretching process electrically to tenderise the meat, however the biggest factor in the meat texture / tenderness is age / breed / sex of animal used, and NOT (as is commonly believed) what the animal is fed on. Beef finished on grain tends to reach slaughter weight quicker - thats all.

Bats does have a life and to my knowledge is way too ladylike to be drinking pints in a pub - though stand to be corrected.

I don't doubt some of your knowledge regarding certain things Helcat - but whenever you comment on a thread about game / wildlife / hunting etc etc - your arguements - although well laid out - are mainly wrong.

And the more stoically you put forward these suggestions, the more silly you sound.
Actually it the gluten in beer that stops me drinking beer, but you are right I would never ask for a pint. And no, I didn't take Helcat's comments as a personal insult, I just thought it was a snotty cow kind of comment.

Doesn't the way beef is treated after it's killed, ie how long hung, the cut etc make a big difference to the flavour?? We're supposed to be getting some local farm raised Jersey steer beef soon, so will see how that tastes.

Yep, pigs eat anything.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I think they hang beef for about 4 weeks, and AFAIK it's more to do with breaking down muscle to make it tender than taste, but I could be wrong. Pigs will eat anything, but the farmer I worked for fed them pellets, grain, and chop because they weren't free range, but hundreds of them in pens in a pig barn. Unless you get to know a farmer who's doing small scale swine production and has them out in a yard that's how it's made. If they're selling it cut and wrapped instead of just trailering them to the stockyard the farmers put ads in the newspaper if they have to, to sell it.
Mandy, it's almost time for the 2012 hunting thread! I've been thinking about buying a license for the last few days now.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 11:03 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by caretaker
I think they hang beef for about 4 weeks, and AFAIK it's more to do with breaking down muscle to make it tender than taste, but I could be wrong. Pigs will eat anything, but the farmer I worked for fed them pellets, grain, and chop because they weren't free range, but hundreds of them in pens in a pig barn. Unless you get to know a farmer who's doing small scale swine production and has them out in a yard that's how it's made. If they're selling it cut and wrapped instead of just trailering them to the stockyard the farmers put ads in the newspaper if they have to, to sell it.
Mandy, it's almost time for the 2012 hunting thread! I've been thinking about buying a license for the last few days now.
You should start that one then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.