No tip with a tip

Old Oct 15th 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No tip with a tip

Originally Posted by mardyarse
One thing that really bothers me is the practice of young girls (only the waitresses) half way through an evening out with the girlies (never when I'm with my husband) giving us the bill and asking us to divvy up so they can collect their tip because they've finished for the evening and the next shift are coming in.

They obviously don't want to lose their tips to the next set of waiting staff. Very wrong, the second I caught on to this the tip was down to 10%. I shouldn't have to be getting my credit card out half way through my evening and stopping my conversation because you've finished your shift and want paying. This is of course a management problem which I have taken up with them but would simply never go back. I never go back to a restaurant/pub a second time if they messed up.
It is annoying when you think of how much youre losing in 'changeover tips' but I see it as how much I also make when its me coming into a changeover shift. swings in roundabouts.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

That's something I find odd here, changeover shifts halfway through the night. When I was in the hospitality trade you would stay with your table until they were done, you might start one for the next wait staff and you might help someone out if they were swamped, drinks and bread roll and even order in some cases but you wouldn't leave your guests.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That's something I find odd here, changeover shifts halfway through the night. When I was in the hospitality trade you would stay with your table until they were done, you might start one for the next wait staff and you might help someone out if they were swamped, drinks and bread roll and even order in some cases but you wouldn't leave your guests.
Different restaurants have different policies.

I was just downstairs having a drink with one of my servers and she had deliveratey delayed the start of her shift as the girl before her had had a quiet afternoon so she wanted to give her the chance to earn more cash.

It does seem to me that there is a clique on this thread who are happy to return to the UK way of fighting your way to the bar and crap service, so they don't have to pay a tip.

It's a shame really as the service in North America is probably the best thing about the place.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:11 pm
Marmite Lover

AishaA will become famous soon enoughAishaA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JamesM
It does seem to me that there is a clique on this thread who are happy to return to the UK way of fighting your way to the bar and crap service, so they don't have to pay a tip.

It's a shame really as the service in North America is probably the best thing about the place.
I agree, on the whole, the service here is good, it was something I noticed when I first arrived. I suppose what some people have a problem with is not being given the choice of whether they want to be served or are quite happy to go to the bar themselves. Just out of interest, what happens if you sit AT the bar?
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I mostly like to sit at the bar and the only difference then is that you pay as you go rather than run up a tab. Otherwise, yes, I'd much rather the booze comes to me, than me go and collect it. I do miss rounds though - splitting the bill at the end just isn't the same.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AishaA
I agree, on the whole, the service here is good, it was something I noticed when I first arrived. I suppose what some people have a problem with is not being given the choice of whether they want to be served or are quite happy to go to the bar themselves. Just out of interest, what happens if you sit AT the bar?
The barman/maid gives you drinks. You either ask or (more likely) they offer.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:34 pm
Marmite Lover

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The barman/maid gives you drinks. You either ask or (more likely) they offer.
So are you still expected to tip?
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:47 pm
Marmite Lover

I mostly like to sit at the bar and the only difference then is that you pay as you go rather than run up a tab. Otherwise, yes, I'd much rather the booze comes to me, than me go and collect it. I do miss rounds though - splitting the bill at the end just isn't the same.
Yeah, it's not the same without rounds being bought. Maybe tipping and service are the reason why you don't get that "pub feel" here...
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

So are you still expected to tip?
Yes.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

So do we tip to supplement poor wages? It seems unfair that factory workers and refuse collectors don't get this perk. Aren't fair wages a human right we try to protect (hence the legislated minimum wage)? How does tipping help? Or do we tip to reward good service? I'm confused
Yes, we do tip to supplement poor wages. Of course workers should be paid fairly, but in this day-and-age employers are in a race to the bottom to see who can screw-over their employees the most. And before anybody gets on to say why can't they two jobs, why should anyone have to work themselves to a frazzle, with the effect that it also has on any family they might have, just somebody can have a reasonably priced meal. And I tip because not only the server, but also the bus-boy and front-of-house hostess have contributed to my enjoyable evening out, and will get a share of whatever I leave as a gratuity.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

definately!! even in retail, where the staff arent earning tips they always say hi etc when you go into a shop. and when you try clothes theyre asking how you are. asking how you are as a greeting is big in north america.

the 10 days i was in vegas - i think i heard more 'your welcomes' after ive said thank you than ive ever heard in my life.

we tipped a waitress $15 on a $25 bill just because we liked the way she said youre welcome. well it was a 'youre so very welcome' but it was great. hard to explain ha
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jg2802
we tipped a waitress $15 on a $25 bill just because we liked the way she said youre welcome. well it was a 'youre so very welcome' but it was great. hard to explain ha
You haven't been very long I think. In the UK you can pay a bill with a cheque, but in america you pay a check with a bill.

Fascinating, eh?
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by jg2802
even in retail, where the staff arent earning tips they always say hi etc when you go into a shop. and when you try clothes theyre asking how you are. asking how you are as a greeting is big in north america.
I detest shopping generally, but this aspect particularly. If I'm forced to go into a shop to buy stuff then I expect to be left alone to browse and not be harassed into an pointless social interaction by staff on commission.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

I detest shopping generally, but this aspect particularly. If I'm forced to go into a shop to buy stuff then I expect to be left alone to browse and not be harassed into an pointless social interaction by staff on commission.
ahh yes i forgot about commission. i hate how over friendly they are in shops but thought that was just how they are. i would avoid going in some shops that were empty just because i knew how harrassed id get.

i dont think in england most shops are on commission. i was in Mango in vegas and this women just kept following me and commenting on everything i was looking at then i kind of lost her and as soon as i picked something up and headed to the till she practically ran to get to the till like she was trying to get there before anyone else. mango is a big chain of fairly cheap clothes though, why are they on commission??
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:45 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want help, then just say so, let them do their spiel at the beginning (they have to do it) and then just say, I'll ask if I need help, but I like to look on my own, the sales associate should then let the others that are working know that you want to be on your own. If your in the shop for a long time or obviously searching for a size, then you can expect some help, but you should then be left alone again.

There are only a few clothes stores where you get commissioned staff (Le Chateau and some of the shoe shops and the beauty depts in department stores spring to mind). Most other stores the staff are just expected to meet their targets, they don't get anything for it though. For example I think my target yesterday was just under $1000, I had to sell 2 PWP (purchase with purchase) and sign up 2 rewards - rewards are easy - their free, I usually fail spectacularly on PWP's but I sold just under $4k, I was tired out last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.