No tip with a tip

Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:12 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No tip with a tip

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
It's a myth that they all depend on tips......so we are saying all restaurants don't pay their staff, and expect the public to pay the staff for them?
No. No one has said that.

Servers, bar staff etc generally get paid a minimum wage which is then supplimented by tips. Please note that, in Ontario, the people behind the bar get a lower mimimum wage than everyone else, lower than the student rate of minimum wage.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/...de/minwage.php

Whether or not people believe this to be a fair and just way of having things is irrelevant. Tipping for service is the norm in North America.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

The phrase 'suck it up and don't be a miser' comes to mind.

The point of the thread was not really to rehash a recent debate on tipping but to highlight the rather offensive and irrelevant remark the customer put on the bill.

I have no problem with tipping in a restaurant - no problem here or back in the UK for normal or better service.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:57 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AishaA
Being a tight-arsed Brit, I believe people get a tip when they deserve one. If the service was better than average or if, as a customer, you've been hard work, fine, no problem tipping. People get paid for the job they do. If the wages are low, join a union or get another job. Tipping has soooo been taken out of context - it is now a reflection on the customer not the employee.
You have obviously never worked in the hospitality industry.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:00 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AishaA
So do we tip to supplement poor wages? It seems unfair that factory workers and refuse collectors don't get this perk. Aren't fair wages a human right we try to protect (hence the legislated minimum wage)? How does tipping help? Or do we tip to reward good service? I'm confused
They probably get paid more than minimum wage, plus bonuses, health care etc.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:10 pm

One thing to bear in mind is that wait staff here generally have to pay 'tip out' this can be as much as 5% of their takings, (and sometimes it's taxed too) that tip out goes generally to the kitchen staff - who generally get paid more per hour anyway.

I remember paying 3p per plate to the chefs, who were the highest paid, bar staff second highest, wait staff the lowest. The head chef would share our their share of tips at the end of the week to the rest of the kitchen staff - the head chef obviously getting the most 'cause it was always worked out on hours worked

I generally round up and add a bit if necessary, I don't go in for percentages, I think a pound (pound fifty) a person is fair as is a couple of dollars pp here. Anything much less then you obviously need the money more than the wait staff so you should keep it.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

That's the best you can come up with....because it is?

Name calling is so low, and I won't bother waiting for your reply why restaurant is any different from a grocery store
Your spat with lmartin is none of my business!

However surely you must find time spent in a bar/restaurant in Canada far more relaxing to time spent in a supermarket?

One of the great benefits of the bar/restaurant is the ability to sit back whilst cheerful people bring stuff to you after a hard day's work whilst you can chat with friends or watch sports.

The supermarket involves ques, hunting for items, carting a trolley around etc.....

I see it very much as tipping for the quality of relaxation provided.

By the way does any one know if you should tip the barber in Canada?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:15 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
They probably get paid more than minimum wage, plus bonuses, health care etc.
I have a friend who is a refuse collector. He makes $65k per year and gets more vacation and benefits than me.

It's a poor example.

There are also Assembly Line workers in the GTA making $25 per hour.

The fact of the matter as Ireland2Canada points out is that servers by legislation get less than the regular minimum wage of average workers.

You then have to factor in the hours of the day they work when the restaurant/bar is empty. It is very much a career in Canada and yes there are servers in certain bars commanding very good money but in your regular suburban dive with out tips during busy periods they are screwed.

Last edited by JamesM; Oct 14th 2011 at 2:18 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

I have and have not. Not depending upon the quality of cut, just whether I had the spare change.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:21 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I do. It may be a perception but I feel he now takes a little more care with the cut-throat and spends a bit more time trimming the eyebrows.

This morning I gave a decent tip to the tow truck driver. I didn't expect anything in return, just that I appreciated the care he took with my car. Turns out when he got to the garage it wasn't quite open so he called me, arranged what to do with the keys and made sure everything was ok.

I also do tip the people who pack the bags at grocery stores, where it is usual to do so. An example would be Mexico.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:23 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I see that, once again, rather than accept that someone may have a different opinion to you, you resort to name calling.
And I see that, once again, you have made an entirely pointless contribution to a thread.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:00 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Your spat with lmartin is none of my business!

However surely you must find time spent in a bar/restaurant in Canada far more relaxing to time spent in a supermarket?

One of the great benefits of the bar/restaurant is the ability to sit back whilst cheerful people bring stuff to you after a hard day's work whilst you can chat with friends or watch sports.

The supermarket involves ques, hunting for items, carting a trolley around etc.....

I see it very much as tipping for the quality of relaxation provided.

I actually like grocery shopping...

Credit: Lester Brown

Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
And I see that, once again, you have made an entirely pointless contribution to a thread.
And this ^ is what?
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:52 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I actually like grocery shopping...

Credit: Lester Brown

http://f.bandcamp.com/z/27/84/2784802083-1.jpg
Of course you do
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I tip mine. At least I think I do as I've no idea how much he actually charges. I've just been handing over $20 for the last three years - I'm assuming he'll tell me when it's not enough.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:12 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you do

Damn straight.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.